Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best suspension setup for under $1,500

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Default best suspension setup for under $1,500

Im looking to price a good suspension set for under 1500,
on a 2008 GT

im looking for something to corner well but ride comfortable as my daily driver.

also looking for some good LCAs because when i get the whipple ill need to keep those back wheels down

i was looking at coilovers etc..
Old 12-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

My setup is affordable and works well for my needs. UPR rod-end LCAs ($100), Eibach drag launch springs with drag bag ($250), Strange engineering single adjustable front struts and rear shocks ($460). So all together it was $810. Granted, you wouldn't want the same springs as me on the street, but there are plenty of options for you to choose from in a similar price range. Having the adjustable shocks and struts means I can tune them to be evil on the track or civil on the street. You could easily add beefed up sway bars and an aftermarket UCA and still stay pretty close to your budget.

(I also have a BMR front swaybar delete/radiator support bar, but didn't include it because it doesn't fit what you want to do with your car.)
Old 12-07-2011, 04:38 PM
flashpasta
1st Gear Member

I have heard nothing but good things about the combination steeda sport springs and adjustable koni yellows struts.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:00 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

^^ Search button. Try it.

Talk to sam strano, He's yer guy
Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

I agree with Flashpasta, if I had to do it all over again from stock, I would without question simply get the Steeda Comp springs, adjustable yellow Koni Sports dampers, and adjustable high performance front and rear sway bars. Then I'd have an actual road racing and auto-cross shop take my car out and crank on it on and off freeway on and off ramps and giant empty parking lots, and then come back and adjust the dampers and sway bars, and do it again till they feel it's as good as it will get for hard street.

These items fundamentally for me(with my initial complete Saleen kit) made the biggest difference with my cars handling far more dramatically than any other additional changes for the street and cornering.

For street cornering and performance, I think far to much is made about having to replace your rear control arms and rear upper control arm right off the bat. Unless you're at the drag strip with slicks and no bumps and dips, to me those items made very little difference on my second round, after having those initial top items changed out.

I'd frankly go for a strut tower brace and steeda G-trac bar for upper and lower strut support and a rear shock tower brace before I'd worry about LCA's and the UCA. Erik

Last edited by eolson; 12-07-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Are these the springs your talking about?
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-s...d-mustang.html

i see they also offer an Extreme set, but there are more reviews on the regular sport

as for the koni yellow, wheres the best place to buy them? do they come with buckets and all?

Thanks again everyone
Old 12-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

and are people using the Koni yellow on the rears too?

and do the factory strut mounts switch over?

Sorry for the questions. im trying to figure out my budget.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Careful looking into the "extreme" set. You would be looking at more than just LCA's and shocks if you purchased those due to the amount they lower your vehicle (resulting in more money spent!).
Old 12-08-2011, 10:19 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

The Koni yellows are an expensive product. Once again, TALK TO SAM!

With that budget, he will probably recommend Steeda Springs, the Yellows, and Steeda HD strut mounts. I dont pretend to be Sam, he has a method to his madness, but it seems like thats what alot of people come away with and they are very very happy. That will come in around 1300-1400. You can always go for sway bars later. But Better to get the best part the first time around then buy something else and replace it later

Last edited by stags; 12-08-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
The Koni yellows are an expensive product. Once again, TALK TO SAM!

With that budget, he will probably recommend Steeda Springs, the Yellows, and Steeda HD strut mounts.
I had Steeda Sport Springs, Koni STR.T's, and HD strut mounts...all recommended by Sam. The total cost of parts was below $1,000. The handling difference over stock was night and day. The ride was a bit stiffer, but not harsh. The ride was leveled out and lowered about an inch. It was a visible difference. This was on an '07 GT daily driver. Overall, a tame set up, but noticeably much better than stock.

Last edited by Thrashard340; 12-08-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply: best suspension setup for under $1,500