Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mustang GT 5R55S Transmission expires at 38292 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 PM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Default 2006 Mustang GT 5R55S Transmission expires at 38292 Miles

Well it happened to my 06 Mustang GT at the magical mileage number of 38,000. The transmission according to the Ford planning - went kaput. First after warming up the shift from 2nd to 3rd slipped and ground a bit. I did a whole bunch of research and study and was astounded how many Auto transmissions are packing at very low mileage, but most conveniently after the 36,000 (warranty) miles on the 2006's. Maybe Ford should have taken the OBAMA bailout and developed a better automatic tranny.

I followed the initial advice I found, change the filter, install a higher capacity pan with a dipstick for checking and filling and of course use Mercon V. Some black fine residue on the magnet. Did all that, filled her to capacity - checked when warm - right up to the full line perfectly. Took it for a drive and she revs up pretty high and smooth, but slips from take-off and revs like crazy when down shifting. Re-checked level when hot - right up to snuff. So here I sit trying to figure out what to do next. Tackle it myself - looks daunting, take it in - looks expensive. Servo failure, input shaft, solenoid, bands or all of the above? Looked at PTC TH400, 4R70 whatever, is probably too much like race trannies -at 69 am too old for that. Leaning towards pulling it out and getting a kit for repair. Level 10, TCI, Ford or something. If I do it myself many go crazy trying to figure out where the pieces go.

Have C&l Racer, delete places pullies, Comp Cams 127300, 410 Ford Gears I just redid with a perfect gear pattern - absolutely quiet. Brenspeed 91 tune for all the add-ons. Ran great with RWHP somewhere below 350. The transmission had no reason to and should not have packed it in. Never raced and the car ran great and I tried to drive it as often as I could. I'm just venting here and have the rest of the winter here in Alberta to do something with this car I love to drive.

Last edited by lenko; 01-27-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

That stinks! I am kind of in the same boat... mine started jacking up on Tuesday. On the 2-3 shift it will rev up all the way to 3,000 - 3500 RPM (when I am going very easy on the gas, normal driving) and shift really hard. Mine has almost 100K on the clock though and been pretty abused!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 PM
JimC

Mine has 194,700 on it today and still going strong. And abuse? I can't tell you how many 1/4 miles passes I have made on it, some with nitrous, lots with the supercharger, bias ply cheater slicks and lots on drag radials.

Must have dodged that 36,000 mile bullet.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

I think the powertrain has a 5 years 60,000 mile warranty. So depending when you got the car, it may work out.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:47 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

So you had the PA deep pan all this time and it still went out? Being that you didnt race it, it would seem you just had a weak unit which totally sucks. I have at least 150 runs down the dragstrip with mine, 100 of those with the supercharger and so far so good. I am also actually installing the PA deep pan tomorrow too. There is a guy over at s197 forum selling a stock auto trans. Its cheap too. I think he is in Arkansas. You should check it out.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 AM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Mine's 4th gear went out at 30,000 after about 4,000 miles of 440rwhp supercharged miles. My new TCI trans/converter are holding up fine so far. Although it took TCI nearly 5 months to get it built...
Old 01-28-2012, 09:10 AM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
So you had the PA deep pan all this time and it still went out? Being that you didnt race it, it would seem you just had a weak unit which totally sucks. I have at least 150 runs down the dragstrip with mine, 100 of those with the supercharger and so far so good. I am also actually installing the PA deep pan tomorrow too. There is a guy over at s197 forum selling a stock auto trans. Its cheap too. I think he is in Arkansas. You should check it out.
No actually I put the PA pan on after I first started having the trans. problems. At that time I thought that transmission fluid may have been low, so I installed a new filter and the new pan and dipstick and refreshed the fluid to a full level. That was my first and cheapest step to see if the slipping was caused by low fluid level. This wasn't the cause of the problem so I have to look deeper. Thanks for the information on the guy, who is probably "yukonblizzard" there, he has one for sale and I will check into that.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Mine took a dump around 58k. Didn't beat on it outside of the normal spirited driving. Pissed me off to no end
Old 01-28-2012, 12:02 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Well this thread sure put a damper on my day... Anything you guys would recommend to give longevity to the trans? Someone mentioned a "PA Pan"? Could you guys elaborate on that, and any other easy modifications? Someone mentioned mecron fluid, but I thought these units could only be serviced by the dealer? Thanks!

Sorry for the threadjack OP!

Last edited by aaquib1992; 01-28-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:19 PM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Well this thread sure put a damper on my day... Anything you guys would recommend to give longevity to the trans? Someone mentioned a "PA Pan"? Could you guys elaborate on that, and any other easy modifications? Someone mentioned mecron fluid, but I thought these units could only be serviced by the dealer? Thanks!

Sorry for the threadjack OP!
Try this thread, https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...cs-no-56k.html.

It gave me all the information to start. I got the pan and dipstick at American Muscle(best price) and the filter at Rockauto. Our transmissions take Mercon V fluid and synthetic is best. It also explains how you can change fluid in your pan from the underneath drain and pump it up from below which is a terrible method.

Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang GT 5R55S Transmission expires at 38292 Miles