Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about car being hit....

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Default Question about car being hit....

Figured this is the place to post this...

Per say someone got hit...their car wasn't painted too well and it was peeling. The hood is cracked and so is the front bumper and fender. When they repaint these pieces they will no longer match the rest of the car. Does the insurance of the one who caused the accident have to pay to paint the whole car?
Old 02-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Per say. They could make the paint resemble the rest. But if I were you I was have them repaint the whole car and cover what insurance doesn't.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

You may have to fight that one, it's pretty tough getting anything out of an insurance company above and beyond the actual cost of the damage. I would suggest finding a body shop and having them document that they can't match the paint due to the age of it and see where it goes from there, but more than likely the insurance co won't be willing to do anything more than fix what was broke.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

grey area. insurance is responsible for repainting the damaged pieces - and you could probably argue they need to blend it to the rest of the car as well, but not repaint the entire car .. youd have to pay extra out of pocket for that.

I hope this 'per say' stuff isn't insurance fraud.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
grey area. insurance is responsible for repainting the damaged pieces - and you could probably argue they need to blend it to the rest of the car as well, but not repaint the entire car .. youd have to pay extra out of pocket for that.

I hope this 'per say' stuff isn't insurance fraud.
Totally insurance fraud.

No matter how much you blend it will never look the same. The paint is from 1984. Some body shops say the insurance has to repaint the whole car in this case.

Hood and front bumper will be mismatched from the car. The paint may not be perfect but at least before the girl hit it it was matching...she caused the accident BTW so it is her insurance.

Frame is bent, hood is cracked, front bumper is dented and cracked.
Give me a break.
Here are some pictures. My goodness.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 PM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang0672
Figured this is the place to post this...

Per say someone got hit...their car wasn't painted too well and it was peeling. The hood is cracked and so is the front bumper and fender. When they repaint these pieces they will no longer match the rest of the car. Does the insurance of the one who caused the accident have to pay to paint the whole car?
no, the insurance company is not going to pay to paint your entire car. And they may even only pay partial paint for what has been damaged if the paint is in really poor condition.

EDIT: as far as trying to "blend due to age" it's usually the opposite that's true. Blend on newer cars, not older. A blend on an old car will only result in an obvious blend, not a better match. And the insurance company is not going to repaint an entire car with faded paint in order to get one portion to match.

Your best bet is not finding a smart shop, but a dumb adjuster, with little to no oversight. So go with some minimum coverage, small company. GEICO, Allstate, State Farm, Progressive, etc are all pretty well controlled. Maybe find a fly-by-night company that doesn't care about spending lots of money?

Last edited by essayons; 02-03-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

settle down. when someone says 'per say' regarding an insurance claim without any details, it seems kinda fishy. sorry for the troubles. you're right, there is no blending paint on a older car. in this case, if the cost of painting the car is > the total cost of the car, they might try to make you total it out and offer you a larger check .. not cool
Old 02-03-2012, 08:23 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

I'm cornfused. Did you just answer your own question bro?

Maybe I am reading this thread the wrong way.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

My brother's faded maroon stingray got hit in the door a while back. He got a new door and a new metallic maroon paint job. Just depends.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

They will not pay to have the whole vehicle painted. I have been in this situation before. I had to pay the body shop to paint what was not covered by the insurance. It does suck to be in this situation. If you just go with what the insurance will cover, it will look terrible. Where it all matched beforehand.

Quick Reply: Question about car being hit....