Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:13 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Default Speaker suggestions!

So I'm looking at purchasing speakers soon as my stockers are finally starting to give out. Popping like crazy and I've finally turned down my bass a few clicks.

What are your suggestions, radio heads? I want some speakers (I believe 5x7 or 6x8?) on all four corners. I'm looking for some quality, middle-of-the-road speakers that can handle a little bass. Right now I have a Rockford Fosgate 300W amp and dual 10" Rockford Fosgate subs. I'm not one to listen to a ton of rap, mostly rock and country, but I like the little bit of thump that the dual 10s give me and like my music on the louder side. Do you think matching Rockford Fosgate speakers would be a safe bet since I've had such great luck with the quality and durability of my sub and amp? I already know enough not to buy Sony speakers...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Blue_steel
1st Gear Member

I know polk makes a good mid range 6x8 I have it running off my head unit for now and take anything I throw at them, and sound really good. I would just get decent speakers and keep the bass for the sub/subs. Are you running the stock HU or aftermarket?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I swapped the stocktastic POS pieces with a Pioneer HU and some Boston Acoustics in the doors and some kickers in the rear. It was a 1000% upgrade. No sub or amps needed. I'm not a big thumper but it has plenty of bass and clarity. Dream Theater has never sounded better! Got it all from Crutchfield.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:59 PM
rmurad38
1st Gear Member

You mention a Rockford 300W amp, but I'd assume thats just for the subs correct? Are your current interior speakers powered by another amp or just the stock head unit? Since the sound quality of speakers is a very personal choice its hard to recommend. Perhaps if you like your Rockford subs, give a mid range Rockford 6x8 a try? If you stick to your stock amplification most any aftermarket speaker will "handle" the power, make sure however that you get something as efficient as possible. Many aftermarket choices are actually not as efficient as the stock speakers and will result in lower in max volume if run on stock power. In many cases aftermarket speakers may be much better suited to being powered by an aftermarket amplifier, the sound will be louder and probably much cleaner. The aftermarket amp will also likely have a crossover that will let you "dial in" the cutoff frequency of the bass allowing as much bass as the speaker can handle without overloading it.

Personally I havent done much yet..I did buy a set of Pioneer TS-D6802R 6x8's to replace my front speakers..They aren't high end by any means, but work fine off the stock power and are much cleaner than the cheap stock 6x8's If I ever get serious add subs, I might need a bit more, but at the same time I will be getting a dedicated amp for the 6x8's as well.

I'm sure there will be tons of replies to follow this one, many brands are great, just choose something you like and consider if you will be using dedicated power or just stock.

Good luck
Old 02-07-2012, 10:59 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Yep, I'm running the stock head unit. I'm wary to buy a new aftermarket piece as this will be the last mod I buy for the car before I resume saving for a massive down payment on my next mustang. Thanks for the suggestions guys! I've been looking at crutchfield, but now I'll keep an eye out for polks, boston acoustics and any other suggestions I get.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmurad38
You mention a Rockford 300W amp, but I'd assume thats just for the subs correct? Are your current interior speakers powered by another amp or just the stock head unit? Since the sound quality of speakers is a very personal choice its hard to recommend. Perhaps if you like your Rockford subs, give a mid range Rockford 6x8 a try? If you stick to your stock amplification most any aftermarket speaker will "handle" the power, make sure however that you get something as efficient as possible. Many aftermarket choices are actually not as efficient as the stock speakers and will result in lower in max volume if run on stock power. In many cases aftermarket speakers may be much better suited to being powered by an aftermarket amplifier, the sound will be louder and probably much cleaner. The aftermarket amp will also likely have a crossover that will let you "dial in" the cutoff frequency of the bass allowing as much bass as the speaker can handle without overloading it.

Personally I havent done much yet..I did buy a set of Pioneer TS-D6802R 6x8's to replace my front speakers..They aren't high end by any means, but work fine off the stock power and are much cleaner than the cheap stock 6x8's If I ever get serious add subs, I might need a bit more, but at the same time I will be getting a dedicated amp for the 6x8's as well.

I'm sure there will be tons of replies to follow this one, many brands are great, just choose something you like and consider if you will be using dedicated power or just stock.

Good luck
Thanks! Yep, stock HU, no real plans to upgrade that. I don't mind a little lowering of the max volume as I never get that high (maybe 50-60% volume at times depending on rpms I'm cruising at). You're right the amp's sole output is to the subs, no amplification of the speakers on this set up.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Blue_steel
1st Gear Member

Getting rid of the stock Hu would probably be your best option to start. It made my stereo sound better IMO before I upgraded to the polks and subs. And just keep it around if you are going to sell it.(the stock one.)
Old 02-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

If you are wanting middle of the road speakers (so I'm assuming cheaper speakers)
Stay away from Rockford. Yes I'm sure their quality is great, but their price matches.
Maybe look at the higher line Kickers or Kenwood.

For my brother's Christmas present we got him the low end Kicker speakers.
They sound amazingly better than stock and they were only $30 or so for the fronts.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

The Stealthbox kicks butt. Got a set of 10's sitting downstairs I used to love...the one sub punches much better. Still get to use the trunk, too.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Hmmm okay, I'll look for kickers, polk, pioneer, boston acoustics...

I looked at Bestbuy today. They didn't even have any 6x8s in stock! Only a couple 6x9s and a ton of 6 1/2's...

Any opinions on Alipine or Kenwood speakers? I've heard mixed reviews before.

Quick Reply: Speaker suggestions!