Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HID Headlight Question, 35W or 50W??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NyghtSpydr
Wow, dude that is awesome! So just a couple questions:

1) Your headlights you say are not stock (obviously), you say its an H3 not H13...but did you order a custom assembly to mount them in? The Halo ring is your high beam I assume, but the Halo doesn't come stock....I guess I am looking for your exact setup, can it be bought somewhere?? (link?)

2) What did you do to your GT to give it that deep growl, not only in the rear but its coming from the front as well!?! (Sorry, I'm really *new* to Mustangs and don't know sh*t about sh*t )

3) Out of the 3 options I listed, what do you think about them? Are the cheapies not a good one??

4) And the Can-Bus system is good for the Mustang then right?? You list BMW, AUDI, etc...but I should use it for the Mustang as well?

Thanks again and look forward to hearing what you have to say.

My headlight is a complete replacement housing and it requires H3 for low beam. The halo is on both high and low beams as you can see from my signature.
I'm not sure if there's any headlights like mine for 2010+, but if you are looking for halo, americanmuscle has one.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/headli...proj-2010.html

I did full exhaust and cams on it for sound. I'm not sure how V6 exhaust parts, you may want to check out the V6 S197 General Discussion.

I had used some HID kits under $100($50-$80), I dun call them bad quality, they still work OK but don't last long.. I would suggest to call or email those seller before you buy..you won't care about the warranty anyways since once you put the kit on, it's pretty hard to get it out for exchange..try to research on google and find where most ppl purchase good HID kits from.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 PM
NyghtSpydr

Ok, great, I do appreciate your information! I will look into the lights that are not the cheapest, and I will stick with a 35W light kit. As for the custom housing, I will wait for that!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:03 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

5000k 55w slim digital kit from retro-solutions...LOVE IT. Here's a recent vid (paid ~$300 for heads/fogs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9LrH...1&feature=plcp

Pre-Roush front

Also, I have tinted headlights/fogs so they are BRIGHT. Never had any problems with my lights being too bright, no one has flashed their lights, no one has pulled me over, nothing. And retro-solutions customer service is TOP NOTCH! During my install, I forgot to apply electrical grease to the top of the capacitor, the top rusted out and the positive connection came loose when I was re-wiring/cleaning up the install. They shipped me a new splice-in capacitor at NO CHARGE (granted it's a cheap part but even when I insisted I pay for it they told me they are just happy to have my business). HIGHLY recommend them!

Last edited by bakerjd; 02-12-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:44 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

I have the 35w retro-solutions and they're great. I lowered my beam about 3 inches at 20 feet and they really light up the road an I've never been flashed for too bright. No problems for 3 years and guaranteed for as long as I own the car.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:18 PM
NyghtSpydr

So the 55W kit can get you pulled over?? Has anyone gotten pulled over with 55W HIDs?

@RedFire281: You said you "lowered my beam by 3 inches at 20ft". What exactly does that mean? I know you can adjust the light a bit, but you actually can adjust 3 or more inches inside the housing? (Sorry, again I am new to this)
Old 02-12-2012, 03:44 PM
NyghtSpydr

Question OK, One Last Question...

Thanks everyone for providing the good information about the HID lights. I just have one more set of questions to ask. Can someone please let me know so i make my purchase today? Thank you so much!

1) Will I need to get the Hi/Lo HID bulb or does my 2010 Mustang V6 have separate bulbs for the High beams & Low Beams? The price difference is about $20 for the Hi/Lo HID Bulb. (My car is in the shop now, can't go look at it for myself)

2) Do I need to get the "BULB-OUT WARNING MODULE" for my car? The site says that some cars will give an error about headlights being burned out when connecting an HID setup, mostly newer cars with computerized control/monitoring systems. I know my stang has an on-board monitoring system as do most newer Fords, but will it freak out if I install HIDs?
These "Bulb-Out Warning Modules" will confuse the computer on the car NOT to give the error.

Appreciate the answers!!
Old 02-12-2012, 03:57 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

1) Will I need to get the Hi/Lo HID bulb or does my 2010 Mustang V6 have separate bulbs for the High beams & Low Beams? The price difference is about $20 for the Hi/Lo HID Bulb. (My car is in the shop now, can't go look at it for myself)
I have a Bi-xenon headlight bulb (which is most likely the same bulb you'll get) and I didn't need a different bulb.

2) Do I need to get the "BULB-OUT WARNING MODULE" for my car? The site says that some cars will give an error about headlights being burned out when connecting an HID setup, mostly newer cars with computerized control/monitoring systems. I know my stang has an on-board monitoring system as do most newer Fords, but will it freak out if I install HIDs?
These "Bulb-Out Warning Modules" will confuse the computer on the car NOT to give the error.
Never heard of this. Here's a link to a similar install if you're concerned about this, maybe this could help

Diffent vendor, similar install

Video I used to help with install

Here's a link for the exact kit I purchased...

H13:
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...VERSION/Detail

H10:
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...VERSION/Detail

Last edited by bakerjd; 02-12-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:55 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

You said you "lowered my beam by 3 inches at 20ft". What exactly does that mean? I know you can adjust the light a bit, but you actually can adjust 3 or more inches inside the housing? (Sorry, again I am new to this)
DOT regs don't allow for side-to-side adjustment but you can raise or lower the light with an adjustment screw on the housing. On a level surface aim your light at a flat wall like a garage door from about 25 feet. Then adjust the beam up or down as needed. Here's a pic by mlcrycc of this forum - the yellow circle is the adjuster.

Last edited by RedFire281; 02-12-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 PM
NyghtSpydr

Awesome! You guys have all hooked me up! Thank you so much!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:23 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Awesome! You guys have all hooked me up! Thank you so much!
You're welcome man! Let me know if you have any questions when it comes to the install. Also, as payment, we require a video

Quick Reply: New HID Headlight Question, 35W or 50W??