Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HID Headlight Question, 35W or 50W??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 PM
NyghtSpydr

Question New HID Headlight Question, 35W or 50W??

Hey guys, I have a 2010 Mustang V6 and I want to upgrade my stock headlights to HID lights, but I am getting mixed information from many different websites. I am hoping some of you can straighten me out and direct me in the right area.

So first place is offering a setup for $79, but when I compare to other sites, yes these are the cheapest, but I am wondering why?? Are they crappy quality (good looking website though), or are they 35W, or ****ty ballasts??
Here is the link to their website:

http://www.hidxenonheadlights.com/Fo...tang-HID-Kits/

Second place is more expensive, but again, I wonder why...Maybe just better quality? Anyone dealt with these guys before?
Here is the link:

http://xenonhidconversionkit.com/ford/2010/mustang/

And third place is even more expensive, and once again, I wonder why (I wonder alot...) Here is the link:

http://www.hidkits.net/bi-xenon-hid-...d|2010|Mustang

So, have any of you purchased Mustang HID from any of these sites and can offer some advice as to what I should buy?

I want to get the 6000K lights (super white) and I just honestly don't know the difference between 35W and 50W ballasts, and Slim vs. CanBus ballasts.....I mean, I am assuming that 50W is brighter?? and I know that the Slim will fit into tighter spots, but why offer the CanBus ballasts if the slim fits nicely into the Mustang?

Ok, enough confusing talk for now Sorry if I am making things even more confusing, just need to know what to buy here.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:10 PM
fillup321

I too am very very curious
Old 02-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

35W will be good..
Old 02-11-2012, 09:26 PM
NyghtSpydr

Originally Posted by Rainson
35W will be good..
Now why do you say that? Can you provide more details please? What are the advantages of 50W over 35W?
And more importantly, would I go with the cheapest I can find, or the more expensive brands?

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

35W vs. 55W based on how watts are calculated..

power in watts = voltage in volts x current in amps
with your battery voltage stays at 12V, increasing watts means the amps must increase. theoretically you are risking to blow up your fuse on the road. And you might be pulled over for "you headlights are too bright" (I have had it once before).
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm currently running a $130 kit for headlight from ebay, and a $150 kit for fog from a local store, they both are great. There are alot of HID on the market, I always choose the one with many and best reviews. Good luck..

If you wanna check how my kits look like...here's the thread.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-pics-lol.html

Last edited by Rainson; 02-11-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:49 PM
NyghtSpydr

If you wanna check how my kits look like...here's the thread.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-pics-lol.html
Question about the 5th photo, Rainson...are you running a full custom setup on the headlights? They dont look stock.

Also, you are running a 35W HID kit?

Which kit of the 3 that I showed you do you think would work? The cheapest one would be good, or too cheap based on what you bought yours for?

Thanks bro!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

You might want to check out the video since the pic doesn't really show in action. I was having headlights and fog lights on in the video.

And my headlight is aftermarket, low beam is H3 instead of stock H13...

and for the question of Can-Bus ballast and Slim...here's the result.

- CAN-BUS ballasts have special Warning Canceller (or something we call errors fixer, error canceller) integrated inside the ballast.

- CAN-BUS ballasts are specifically made for many modern cars which have special computer system. With those cars, if you install the normal AC Digital Super Slim ballast HID kit, then the HID kit will have errors like flickering, or your car will have some errors popping up on the dashboard, or even the HID kit will not work properly. However, with CAN-BUS system, those errors will be removed automatically.

- Therefore, CAN-BUS special can be used for Audi, Mercedes, BMW, VW… or many other modern cars.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:47 PM
NyghtSpydr

And my headlight is aftermarket, low beam is H3 instead of stock H13...
Wow, dude that is awesome! So just a couple questions:

1) Your headlights you say are not stock (obviously), you say its an H3 not H13...but did you order a custom assembly to mount them in? The Halo ring is your high beam I assume, but the Halo doesn't come stock....I guess I am looking for your exact setup, can it be bought somewhere?? (link?)

2) What did you do to your GT to give it that deep growl, not only in the rear but its coming from the front as well!?! (Sorry, I'm really *new* to Mustangs and don't know sh*t about sh*t )

3) Out of the 3 options I listed, what do you think about them? Are the cheapies not a good one??

4) And the Can-Bus system is good for the Mustang then right?? You list BMW, AUDI, etc...but I should use it for the Mustang as well?

Thanks again and look forward to hearing what you have to say.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have the 35W kit from RetroSolutions, Hi/Lo kit. I am completely happy with the 35W light.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 PM
NyghtSpydr

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I have the 35W kit from RetroSolutions, Hi/Lo kit. I am completely happy with the 35W light.
Awesome, thank you for your input....How much did it cost??

Quick Reply: New HID Headlight Question, 35W or 50W??