Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshifting almost went bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Why are you downshifting when you are coming to a stop? They do that in the movies, but in real life, you just take it out of gear and use brakes. Downshifting like that causes unnecessary wear and tear on the clutch. Brakes are a lot cheaper. I've never replaced in any vehicle I own as that's how I drive after learning years ago about how to save wear and tear on a clutch.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I can double clutch and shift into second as long as I am going 55 mph or less, top speed in second is 64 mph.

My daughter blew up a 240Z clutch shifting into second going about 80. She went from 3rd to second but did not release the clutch. Once the car is in gear the clutch disc spins at the same speed the engine would spin if the clutch were engaged. I think the clutch disc was spinning over 12,000 RPM and centrifugal force turned the clutch disc into kitty fur.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
I can double clutch and shift into second as long as I am going 55 mph or less, top speed in second is 64 mph.

My daughter blew up a 240Z clutch shifting into second going about 80. She went from 3rd to second but did not release the clutch. Once the car is in gear the clutch disc spins at the same speed the engine would spin if the clutch were engaged. I think the clutch disc was spinning over 12,000 RPM and centrifugal force turned the clutch disc into kitty fur.
lol - kitty fur!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

In a race from 40 to 100 I dropped into second and torqued 10 degrees.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Why are you downshifting when you are coming to a stop? They do that in the movies, but in real life, you just take it out of gear and use brakes. Downshifting like that causes unnecessary wear and tear on the clutch. Brakes are a lot cheaper. I've never replaced in any vehicle I own as that's how I drive after learning years ago about how to save wear and tear on a clutch.
It's personal preference. A lot of people, myself included, like to down shift when coming to a stop. It's not a bad idea to have your car in the right gear at all times in case you need to move. If done right, no unnecessary wear and tear is put on the clutch. This is in fact how I learned how to drive. As long as you match the revs, it's just as smooth as taking it out of gear and applying the brakes. I've had clutches and transmissions last longer than the car at 100k miles plus. I also rarely have to replace my brake pads/rotors. Again it's personal preference. I just wouldn't say one way is wrong and the other is right.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
It's personal preference. A lot of people, myself included, like to down shift when coming to a stop. It's not a bad idea to have your car in the right gear at all times in case you need to move. If done right, no unnecessary wear and tear is put on the clutch. This is in fact how I learned how to drive. As long as you match the revs, it's just as smooth as taking it out of gear and applying the brakes. I've had clutches and transmissions last longer than the car at 100k miles plus. I also rarely have to replace my brake pads/rotors. Again it's personal preference. I just wouldn't say one way is wrong and the other is right.
It's really not a matter of personal preference. It is a well established fact that using your clutch increases the wear and therefore shortens the lifespan of it. The recommended way is to actually stay in your higher gear and then use your brakes. As the car slows and rpms drop (on mine usually around 1k), engage the clutch and take it out of gear (that's my slowboating). Another rule about clutch wear is if you're going to be at a stop for more than about 10seconds, take it out of gear and release the clutch.

Now...that's all fine in theory. It depends on the driving mood Im in which method I use. If I'm cruising, I'll slow boat with infrequent shifts. But if the lead foot starts to take over, Im banging gears like no tomorrow. Am I worried about burning out my clutch? Heck no! A clutch is either in or out...not somewhere in between. Again, I've never burned out a clutch after driving for 25 years and I drive aggressive a lot.

I do replace brake pads a lot more than the average person too. Rotors...nope. I've had one set machined but that's it. If I burn up the clutch or brakes, just put new ones on!

It does make me wonder though...when I was growing up, it seemed people replaced their clutches frequently but I rarely hear of it anymore. I guess theyve gotten better at materials and build quality over time.

Now Im getting off my soap box and draggin my old **** to bed. You whippersnappers have fun staying up and typin on this here computer box ya'll seem to like so much.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:21 AM
KonaStangPete
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
dang 4.10s?
my 2nd goes to like 80 with the 2.73s

far as stopping goes i personally like to just let it cruise in N, saves clutch and your not jerking around or trying to rev match
Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

I use the brakes, but keep the car in gear with the clutch in, just in case something happens to the brakes I can pop the clutch and at least have the engine slow me down a bit.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 PM
iamgone
1st Gear Member

This is a video on driving instruction from Roush. The guy discusses downshifting (go to about 6:40 if you don't want to watch it all). It's called compression braking and it's not good for your car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZfICTPYBvU
Old 02-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I don't usually downshift to slow down, it does wear the trans and the clutch. I do downshift to speed up tho, I'm guessing there are people who think this is bad for the trans and the clutch.

I do make a point to be in the power band (3,500 RPM) or higher if it looks like I may need to speed up. The 3.7 is pretty gutless under that RPM in most gears. In the last 15 years I've driven about 1,000,000 miles, I've been hit twice, both in the back. I never leave it in high gear and coast to a stop if there is a chance the car behind me can hit me, that would leave me a sitting duck. I am never in neutral at a stop either. I'm always in first gear with the clutch in. This also wears the throw out bearing, but has saved my bumper a dozen times. I usually get about 150,000 miles on a clutch.

Quick Reply: Downshifting almost went bad