Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car show last minute tips/tricks

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:18 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Default Car show last minute tips/tricks

So I'm in my first ever car show on Saturday here in Orlando, being held literally half a mile from my house. Tomorrow morning I'm washing the ride, detailing inside and out and doing some serious work cleaning my windshield.

I know enough to bring my products and plenty of rags, but am I missing something important? I know details are important... I'm entered in the daily driver category, so hood and trunk stays closed. Unfortunately, I do have some scratches and small dents around the car but it's a little too late for that now.

Any help/opinions would be welcomed!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:29 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

My car is a daily driver/full time car show car also.

Some of the tips I would give you is to def bring lots of rags and your cleaning products. Make sure before you head to the show the night before you wash the car really well and wax it. I normally like to get EVERY SINGLE spot of the car I can fit my hands into but that is just me. The cleaner the car is the more the judges like it and will give you some bonus points. Make sure that one you get to the car show and park that you take some wet tire cleaner and get the WHOLE tire to get all gravel and any remnants from the road out which will overall give the car a cleaner look and a couple points depending on the judge. Of course make sure not to leave any drinks/cups or anything in the interior of the car during the show. You want the interior to be simple and clean. Normally when I show I like to do up the trunk a little bit with some Mustangs "props" but the shows I go to do not have a daily drivers class nor would I like to compete in that as it is always a satisfaction to beat the garage queens and they get their panties in a bunch. If at all possible I would try to do something with the trunk as this also might get you a few points. While you are at the show make sure as the day goes on you keep the car clean using a california duster lightly to get the dust off the car before the judges judge the car. Being who I am I normally clean my car for 4-5 hours at a show but I wouldn't expect you to do that unless you wanted to. The cleaner the car is the better. Make sure that little areas on your car are clean and every bit of dirt is off the car. The little areas could mean the difference between 1st place or 2nd or maybe not getting anything at all. If you have any other questions let me know I show my car all the time.

Here is my car at a few shows:

Houston Autorama ISCA show(huge and important show for me)

Last edited by mustang0672; 02-16-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 PM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Try not to park next to any car that's gonna make yours look 'bad'.
Clean through the whole rim, not just the 2" deep that you can reach. Try to get it as good as possible.
Wheel wells.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by MadStang40
So I'm in my first ever car show on Saturday here in Orlando, being held literally half a mile from my house. Tomorrow morning I'm washing the ride, detailing inside and out and doing some serious work cleaning my windshield.

I know enough to bring my products and plenty of rags, but am I missing something important? I know details are important... I'm entered in the daily driver category, so hood and trunk stays closed. Unfortunately, I do have some scratches and small dents around the car but it's a little too late for that now.

Any help/opinions would be welcomed!
Cool. Waterford Lakes right?
Stand proud for us Wade.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

I have a little dent above the driver's side door handle that keeps me out of shows... At least till I do something under the hood big enough to "cancel out" minor imperfections.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys, very helpful! Yea, I'm definitely polishing up the wheel wells, interior of the wheel and keeping a dusting cloth with me. I plan on parking next to a stockish looking v6 if I have a choice

0672 those are exactly the kind of tips I'm looking for! I would've never thought about cleaning out the tread...

Yessir Pascal, over here at waterford! I'm excited though I wish I had some friends that were as big of Ford fans as me and entered the show too. I'll be trying to make new friends and visiting 5 Guys most likely haha

Young gun, I have two pretty good size dents in my A pillar from two rogue rocks I took on I-75. The closest car that was in front of me was a lane over and 50 yards up the road. A few scratches by my keyhole on the driver side and a small ping in my door, and a couple scratches on the rear passenger quarter. Yet even with all these little problems, I know that I have to enter this car into a show at least once before I move on.

And of course, there will be pics. Oh there will be pics.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:46 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang0672
My car is a daily driver/full time car show car also.

Some of the tips I would give you is to def bring lots of rags and your cleaning products. Make sure before you head to the show the night before you wash the car really well and wax it. I normally like to get EVERY SINGLE spot of the car I can fit my hands into but that is just me. The cleaner the car is the more the judges like it and will give you some bonus points. Make sure that one you get to the car show and park that you take some wet tire cleaner and get the WHOLE tire to get all gravel and any remnants from the road out which will overall give the car a cleaner look and a couple points depending on the judge. Of course make sure not to leave any drinks/cups or anything in the interior of the car during the show. You want the interior to be simple and clean. Normally when I show I like to do up the trunk a little bit with some Mustangs "props" but the shows I go to do not have a daily drivers class nor would I like to compete in that as it is always a satisfaction to beat the garage queens and they get their panties in a bunch. If at all possible I would try to do something with the trunk as this also might get you a few points. While you are at the show make sure as the day goes on you keep the car clean using a california duster lightly to get the dust off the car before the judges judge the car. Being who I am I normally clean my car for 4-5 hours at a show but I wouldn't expect you to do that unless you wanted to. The cleaner the car is the better. Make sure that little areas on your car are clean and every bit of dirt is off the car. The little areas could mean the difference between 1st place or 2nd or maybe not getting anything at all. If you have any other questions let me know I show my car all the time.

Here is my car at a few shows:
Not knocking you or anything but damn dude... You post pictures of your car in what seems like every thread....

Last edited by 2005Redfire6; 02-16-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
Thanks guys, very helpful! Yea, I'm definitely polishing up the wheel wells, interior of the wheel and keeping a dusting cloth with me. I plan on parking next to a stockish looking v6 if I have a choice

0672 those are exactly the kind of tips I'm looking for! I would've never thought about cleaning out the tread...

Yessir Pascal, over here at waterford! I'm excited though I wish I had some friends that were as big of Ford fans as me and entered the show too. I'll be trying to make new friends and visiting 5 Guys most likely haha

Young gun, I have two pretty good size dents in my A pillar from two rogue rocks I took on I-75. The closest car that was in front of me was a lane over and 50 yards up the road. A few scratches by my keyhole on the driver side and a small ping in my door, and a couple scratches on the rear passenger quarter. Yet even with all these little problems, I know that I have to enter this car into a show at least once before I move on.

And of course, there will be pics. Oh there will be pics.
You know how it goes. Nobody else notices it - but as far as you're concerned there might as well be a neon sign pointing to it lol
Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
You know how it goes. Nobody else notices it - but as far as you're concerned there might as well be a neon sign pointing to it lol
hahaha amen! A truer statement has never been uttered haha
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Windex (ammonia free) is the best thing EVER for the engine bay, believe it or not! and just don't stop cleaning. Get everything you can think of and then try to think of something else. Use Tire shine as I think that sets you apart from the rest and go over chrome twice (second time with a dry wipe) because it tends to streak after cleaning when it dries. Bring a lint roller or double stick tape for any debri that accumulates during the drive after vacuuming. I'll let you know if I can think of anything else. BRING a TON of microfiber clothes and paper towels!!!!

Quick Reply: Car show last minute tips/tricks