Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My $33K Paper Weight...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:37 PM
YellowBlaze

Unhappy My $33K Paper Weight...

My experience with my new mustang has been an absolute horror. If anyone could relate, comment or advise on what I should do, I would appreciate it.

8 months ago I submitted for a custom build 2012 Mustang GT. Nothing fancy, I wanted the premium color upgrade to the Yellow Blaze Metallic and I wanted a 3:55 gear set. 5 weeks or so later I got my beloved car. Took me the last 3 years of saving just to get together a decent down payment so my monthly bill wouldn't kill me. I don't make a lot of money, but thought it was worth the sacrifices I made to one day have my awesome car.

Things were great until December.. at about 4300 miles on the car, a strange knocking was occurring at the engine along with severe loss of power... oddly.. no check engine light came on?? But took it to the dealership for inspection... well my thoughts were confirmed.. blown engine. Before I get accused of spraying nitrous or some other abuse on the car.. well the car was kept stock.. besides a JPC Racing exhaust. Never raced, I drove it relatively calm. The service at the dealership looked it over, got permission from Ford for a entire Long Block replacement... 16 days later I got the car back.

Here's where a rational reader would say wow, what bad luck he had... or perhaps something like, I feel for you, but you're lucky you had the warranty... well my friend it doesn't end there... 4 weeks later the check engine light came on.... I didn't really notice much wrong with it, but it warranted another trip to the dealership.. just a 3 hour wait this time.. they said they reset the light and just looked around at the electrical connections to make sure everything was fine.. they said the light was referencing a problem with the variable valve timing, but they could not identify any issues... Okay, what was I supposed to say to that.. I got it back and things seemed fine.. Until...

2 weeks later the car was idling very roughly and under acceleration there was plenty of revs .. but no power to go along with it... Another trip to the dealership... That was 10 days ago.. In that time, keep in mind on the second engine they have found and replaced: faulty o2 sensor... Mass Air Sensor... Variable valve timing (solenoids?)... fuel injector assembly...... and now we are waiting for a complete Computer assembly as well.. Will be minimum 4-5 days before that arrives to be put on in hopes of it fixing the issues. That will put me at over 30 days my car out of commission.. should I be thankful they are paying for my Focus Rental while I make payments on my GT?

How can Ford Parts be so Shoddy? or maybe it is just horrible luck on my part? What does a reasonable person do in my situation. Lemon Laws would apply at this point I believe having 30+ days of car repairs. Does anyone feel I am owed anything by Ford, for my incredible inconvenience. Can anyone offer advice.. who do I talk to about this... I just want my voice heard.. but I really doubt Ford will care... Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

I never trust dealer parts unless its wiring harnesses and electric motors - like the trunk lock motor I replaced.

The guy that owned my 07 v6 before I had it (and later sold it) was a Ford mechanic. He left me with about $5000 worth of repair work that he hid pretty well. Didn't show its face till he had moved to Florida.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

OP, maybe you really ought to look inside the glove box and read up on the lemon laws (I'm not well versed). Why keep dropping new motors into your car when you can either a) grab a new yellow blaze w/ 3.55s, or threaten to take your business elsewhere? Who knows, you might just get some compensation of free yearly details from your dealership...
Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Noemi from Ford customer service monitor this forum and will pickup this post shortly...hopefully there can be a good ending to this story. Sorry to hear about your issues!!!

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...erservice.html

PS. Personally I would have driven this car straight into the dealership offices and left them the keys as a good gesture!!!

Last edited by Roy_R; 02-23-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd certainly look into the Lemon Law. After all that, I don't think I'd EVER trust that car again.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Wow! I realize that there is a percentage of parts that fail. Like out of 100,000 connecting rods produced, 1% or less may fail for no apparent reason. I guess you are 1 out of 1,000.

I'm guessing the current problems are from the dealers shoddy engine swap.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

bummer, man.

though I was halfway expecting to read about a warranty denial or something in this thread.

I'm just glad they are still taking care of you. I know, it sucks to not have your car .. I hope it is fixed for GOOD this time.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

If it were a 2005-2010 I would say it sounds like electrical problems, ie either faulty alternator or the water leak thing. Good luck with the fix though.
Lemon laws vary state to state so it's hard to advise what it is, but definitely look it up, here in CA, repairing the same problem 3 times classifies the car as a lemon and you are entitled to a pro-rated refund based on the date the car was first serviced for the problem.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 PM
YellowBlaze

I appreciate all you sympathy guys...

If Ford customer service actually does read this, I would love to hear what they have to say... is my problem unique? or is this happening across the country?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Damn OP that sucks.
Like the others said look into Lemon Law.
I haven't seen any other problems like that on this forum, so it does seem that your case is fairly unique.

Quick Reply: My $33K Paper Weight...