Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catch can's

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 3vStang
I made my own. I Think it cost me about $22. It doesnt look as nice as the billets, but it matches my cai, and gets the job done. I may make something with steel braided lines to make it look nicer eventually. I would recommend one, you can see in my picture the bit of oil in the catch can, and i had only driven it a couple times after the install.

Nice intake.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
SoCalGT08

Bought a jlt a couple of weeks ago...after reading this thread, I was wondering if it was working....so I just checked

After aprox 300 road miles and 1 day at the track....there was maybe a little less than a teaspoon of oil in there !!

Not bad .....I guess it does work !!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:04 AM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

@outceltj you dont want to run a breather on these cars not just from an added under hood cleaning point but because the current set up creates a vacuum actually pulling that crankcase vapors out of the engine, thats why its attached to the intake, well and also you cant just let it go into the air anymore.
@steeda does yours come with the hoses and connections making it a plug and play set up?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:46 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
Have you seen Steeda's? (BTW, we have billet ones for '05-'10 as well)
http://www.steeda.com/store/mustang-oil-separator.html

Let me know if you'd like to get one.

Any chance of custom engraving those? <GT/CS>

Why do yall think the upr ones work so much better than the jlt ones?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fordplay
@steeda does yours come with the hoses and connections making it a plug and play set up?
It does not come with the hoses and connections.

Originally Posted by highline
Any chance of custom engraving those? <GT/CS>
Unfortunately, no. They are engraved in batches of 100s.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:17 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fordplay
Ok im debating pulling the trigger on a $100.00 aluminum can for my engine on the theory that it keeps oil out of my intake.. Now all the old guys I run with say i'm wasting my money and its voodoo, but I see the pictures of the oil caught in them, and what I think sold me is the ford pictures of the 2013 Na cobra jet, has one!! Its true passenger side up against the firewall... What do you guys think? Get one or not?
Do it. You won't regret it!

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...-polished.html

^^Made in America and it carries a Lifetime Guarantee. Also, MustangForums members get a 10% discount on any part we manufacture.

Originally Posted by MadMike1337
I had jlt and it didnt work that well for me. I ended up switching to upr and it catches so much more.
Originally Posted by bones302
I have the JLT and it don't catch shiiiit. maybe I should switch to the UPR.
Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I have the UPR and I love it, amazing how much it catches!
Here ya go guys. Here's my UPR catch can after one month:

Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Anyone have a good spot to install on the 99-04 GTs?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 PM
DarthV8

Originally Posted by 3vStang
I made my own. I Think it cost me about $22. It doesnt look as nice as the billets, but it matches my cai, and gets the job done. I may make something with steel braided lines to make it look nicer eventually. I would recommend one, you can see in my picture the bit of oil in the catch can, and i had only driven it a couple times after the install.

could you give a quick overview on how you made that?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:01 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

So on the 2010, you install this on the driver's side or passenger side of the engine? In the UPR install pics from the UPR website, its attached on the passenger side, but in both the pics in this thread, its on the drivers side.

Whats more, does anyone with a 2010 GT and a Roush M90 have a catch can installed and has pics or product recommendations? I need to get a better pic, but I dont see a lot of room to put one in there.

Last edited by wcgman; 03-08-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:32 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarthV8
could you give a quick overview on how you made that?
No problem. I went to lowes and picked up a kobalt air compressor oil separator. I then grabbed a couple of the screw hose clamps as well as two 1/4 inch nipples I used brass. (these fit into the separator). Then I went to napa and bought 2 feet of 1/2 inch heater hose. When I got home I looked at the bottom of the separator and noticed there is a little drip hole with a nipple, that looked to be set up for another hose. I didn't want another hose, so I rook a dab of high temp rtv silicone and covered it up. You can't even see it now. Screw both nipples into the separator I used some thread sealing tape, then find the exact spot youd like the separator to fit. Cut the heater hose and plug it connect every thing. After I was done I wasn't satisfied because there was to much of a bend on the hose going to the valve cover, so I picked ip a 1/4 inch plastic elbow and put it in as you can see in my picture. Put on the hose clamps (I'm missing two in the pic) and your done. I checked it for leaks and then Took it for a drive right after the install, about 20 miles checked it again and saw a small bit of oil building up already. I hardly drive my car so I may have less oil in the separator than some. Btw the plastic piece that holds the oil screws off just like a regular catch can.

Note, there are some separators that are a very expensive, the one I got was around $15 dollars I think.

Hope this is clear enough, if you have any questions just ask. I was going to paint the separator but it matches my intake. But I may fab something up with a steel braided hose to make it look a little more professional, havnt decided yet. Good luck bro.

Last edited by 3vStang; 03-08-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply: catch can's