Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9R3Z-14D212-A Sync kit and hands free

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

**UPDATE**

Sync is registered with Ford and all systems go.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:41 AM
chopper_man
1st Gear Member

Can you give us a bit more info than that? How did you do it? Did you register with your VIN? Software updates? Dealer visit required?

I just got mine in the mail yesterday, mines an 07 but I'm running a head unit out of an 09 in it. This oughtta be fun! LOL!

Thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chopper_man
Can you give us a bit more info than that? How did you do it? Did you register with your VIN? Software updates? Dealer visit required?

I just got mine in the mail yesterday, mines an 07 but I'm running a head unit out of an 09 in it. This oughtta be fun! LOL!

Thanks
I did the install myself. That took about 2.5 hours and the real pain in the butt was splicing the 3 wires. Once that was complete the Sync system worked with my phone only to play music, make phone calls, and charge via USB. The remote control will not work until the unit is programmed.
I did call my local Ford dealership however, they stated they do not install or program the aftermarket Sync systems. The service guy gave me the number of a local radio guy they use for all other aftermarket ad-ons and repairs. He charged me $40, came to my house, registered my Sync with Ford, and did all the updates. There is no other way to get around Registering the Sync unit with Ford. You need to have a special log in to this Ford website to update their databases.
Once you are all setup and programmed you can go to the Syncmyride.come website and sign up for updates and get help with things. I tried to download the Sync checker tool and keep getting errors while trying to download. I'm pretty sure its a Ford thing. I used their little "chat with a rep" support thing but they we no help.
All in all, I paid around $100 and couldn't be happier with the outcome.

good luck!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

UPDATE

Mine is all installed in my 08. I have the correct radio so that's not an issue. I went to Ford yesterday to have them program it so the voice command would work (the remote three button control). Well, come to find out unless you have a 2009 or later, its a no go. It all works otherwise. I can answer calls from the Sync hands free with no problems at all (hitting the "phone" button on the radio), it will also play my music via the bluetooth from my phone as well. The USB port works well too for playing music stored on a USB drive or IPHONE or USB player. The only thing it won't do because its not a 2009 or newer is make a call via the sync using the voice three button keypad. If you need to make a call (which I don't normally do), you need to initiate it with your phone.

I'm fine with all that, it also works if the radio is off to answer calls so, I'm happy with it. Not happy with the ford charge of $100 but, maybe this post will help others with my setup from spending any money for programing.

It will make calls via the radio but, I found it quicker just to start an outgoing call from the phone.

Last edited by slickman; 04-03-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:47 PM
HIS S-197
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chopper_man

Thanks
Please update the thread when you get everything working.

I have an 07 as well, but I am curious if running an 08/09 head unit would be the only other mod necessary to integrate the SYNC system, or if there is a difference in the wiring harness from 07 to 08/09.

If a head unit swap and this kit are all that are needed then I'm all over this mod
Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 PM
MethodMas

Default 2008 with Navigation Unit

Has anyone decided to try this with their OEM navigation unit? I have a 2008 that I purchased without navigation. However, I bought the OEM NAV unit online (it was taken out of a Mercury) and had it reprogrammed to work with my Mustang. The installation was simple, however I had to send the unit away to a third party to be reprogrammed. If you hold the 3 and 6 buttons down for 3 seconds the configuration screen shows you all of the options configured on your NAV unit. Mine says Phone Module - Not Available and Voice Recognition - Disabled. I wonder if it's simply a matter of having the NAV unit reprogammed again to change these options and get the unit to work with the SYNC kit. I'm doing some research on this and will post if I find any useful information. Has anyone else had any experience trying this?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:56 PM
CommanderCOOL
2nd Gear Member

I have installed the kit from ebay and had everything up and running just fine( minus the ford programming) for one day but all of a sudden, when I use the handsfree phone, people on the other line cant hear me. I contacted the seller and he sent me another mic. I hooked that up and no luck. people on the other line still cant hear me. =( i informed the seller about this again and hes sending me ANOTHER mic. Im pretty skeptical about it working...

any suggestions?

should i buy a whole other setup and re install?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CommanderCOOL
I have installed the kit from ebay and had everything up and running just fine( minus the ford programming) for one day but all of a sudden, when I use the handsfree phone, people on the other line cant hear me. I contacted the seller and he sent me another mic. I hooked that up and no luck. people on the other line still cant hear me. =( i informed the seller about this again and hes sending me ANOTHER mic. Im pretty skeptical about it working...

any suggestions?

should i buy a whole other setup and re install?
I see you have a 2008, for that year its dependent on the radio type. Earlier in the post I posted the radio model numbers. Does the radio have the phone button or does it say "mute" on it too?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 PM
MethodMas

i'm having the same issue. I instaled the kit in my 2008. I originally had an older nav unit (with the mute button instead of phone) but I removed it and reinstalled my shaker 500 while I wait for my replacement newer generation nav to come in. Nonetheless I have the same issue. My bluetooth music works fine, and I can make and receive calls. However sometimes the microphone stops working and the other party can't hear me. I tried doing a Master Rest on the SYNC system which fixed the issue for a day but then the problem came back. I tried deleting the bluetooth connection from the iphone and setting it up again. This didn't work either. I also requested a replacement microphone from the seller of the SYNC system. I haven't tried it yet but will do so this weekend and report back. I also have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow to get the system setup with the syncmyride website and to get the software updates installed. Lastly, my new nav is due to arrive tomorrow and I plan to install it this weekend. I will report back when I try each of these and let you know if any reolve the issue. Please do the same on your end and hpefully we can get both of our systems working.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 PM
CommanderCOOL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by slickman
I see you have a 2008, for that year its dependent on the radio type. Earlier in the post I posted the radio model numbers. Does the radio have the phone button or does it say "mute" on it too?
I have the late 2008 radio. It has the phone button. When i installed the entire unit everything worked great. The other person i was talking to was able to hear me. Then, the next day the microphone stopped working. Even after replacing it it with another mic. BT audio works, usb works, I can sync my contacts. just cant use the voice commands and now nobody can hear me =[

Quick Reply: 9R3Z-14D212-A Sync kit and hands free