Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LCA install tricks...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 02:06 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default LCA install tricks...

Just finished installed LCA's on my 10GT. This is the second install I've done of LCA's, so I guess the next time, I'll be an expert. TacoBill and several other folks have published plenty of walkthroughs, but I thought I'd throw in a couple of the notes I've come up with to make it easier that arent documented as well in some places.

- When removing parking brake cable, remove the c clip, pull down on the cable below where it mates up with the c clip and caliper and slide it out, then you can easily pull the "T" out of the top of the bracket.

- I found it much easier to do one side completely before doing the other.

- If you've got air tools...use em. You might think the hassle isnt worth it with the cleanup but it is.

- I've got a set of the open box end wrenchs that have a hole for a 3/8 socket in them. That was super helpful on the front bolt removal and install.

- Once you know how the new ones install (they are different on each end) and you've got them assembled, grease the outside of the bushings and the top of the LCA/bushing so they slide in nice and easy.

- Biggest tip...have a good ratcheting tie down strap. When you are installing the new units, you attach the non ratchet side to a hole somewhere in the frame near the front, then attach the other end to the axle somehow and use that along with your floor jack to move the axle into position so you can get the bolt through a lot easier.

If anyone else has any tips or tricks, feel free to amend this. Using this, had I not been fading really quick from hypoglycemia on the first LCA, it would have taken 15 minutes per side as it did on the second LCA this morning. Once I ate, all was cool and I ripped through the second one.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

I can attest to air tools, Just installed my new FRPP springs and i dont know if i could have done it by hand alone. Had the same problem wiggling the bolts back in for the shocks and wiggle the sway bar back, ill try your tips next time im under there.