Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on what I should do about this dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

Stand your ground and get what you wanted or better for the same price you agreed on. This is from experience. I bought a black 2006 Dodge 600 ES turbo convertible new with every option available option. When I got it home there was a noticeable run in the paint. They buffed (scratched) it. I kept the car and hated it every day until I sold it. It did not help that I really wanted a Toyota MR2, but my wife was tired of a manual. Two weeks after we bought the Dodge, she changed her mind. I tried every day for two years until I finally sold the POS Dodge. I'll never settle for a car I do not want again.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Whenever i get to buying a new car i will be very **** about its specs. Gotta be what i want or im walking.
Current car is used and has a spot here and there in the paint. Plan on trying to cover them up but cant blame dealer for that.

Dont settle for anything but 110% on what you buy. Especially when its 30grand lol
Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 PM
88Saleen544

Man this is tough. First things first, is it really in the clear coat? I would think the first thing you would do is to touch the pin stripe and see if you can feel it. If you can feel it, I don't see how it can be in the clear coat, and I mean just a slight catch on your fingernail. If its really under the clear, then that means the other dealer sprayed clear coat over an aftermarket pinstripe; in 8 years of selling cars, and hundreds of pinstriped cars, I've never seen nor heard of that happening. Sounds like they are BS'ing you.

At this point you need to contact the general manager immediately, first thing tomorrow, and if he doesn't answer you need to let him know that if you don't hear back you'll have to contact your lawyer. That should get his attention to get a call back. Schedule a meeting, be calm (I know its hard at this point), and as others have already said tell him that you will not keep the car as you have been mislead unless they make this right. Keep in mind, they may resort to painting....do not let them paint your new car, that will not make this right in the end. If they do not work with you, unfortunately your kinda SOL. You can file with the BBB, and I'd also recommend seeing if you have a local automobile dealer board to contact (I once had to "testify" before our local council due to an issue with a customer). If they don't help you, you could go to court but you did take delivery and unless it is in writing, signed by a manager, that they will remove the pin stripe then a court would probably not work in your favor.

Also, anything you agree to with them from this point on should be written in detail, on a "We Owe" form that is signed by the general manager, and I'd accept it from noone else, and make sure it is 100% detailed and specific.

Sorry for the long message, good luck man and keep us all updated!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 PM
grandsport

Sounds like you dealt with a high volume,no love dealership.From the beginning you should have been on guard from the way they treated you.I'm sure they knew the stripe was on the car when they called for the dealer trade and they should have made you aware of it.But,you did not have to accept the car until it was up to your satisfaction even though the papers were signed.A deposit is fine,but never sign a finance contract before you pick up your car,especially a dealer trade car.If something like this happened at the dealership I work at,I would have done whatever it took to keep you as a satisfied customer.Oh yeah,the sales guy? If he worked for me,he would be looking for a job right now.Yes,I am a sales manager at a new car store.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 PM
attz0r

Update:
I went down to the dealer, I hadn't gotten a call back from the sales manager after calling 4 times, so I figured it was time for an in person visit. I talked with him and got him to search a little further than he was looking and I found the exact car that I paid for, a dealership in dayton has two, so he agreed to swap it out for one. It would seem this is coming to a close but I won't believe it till I see it in writing and have the exact car in my possesion.

And yes, this is a very high volume dealer. And no, you cannot feel the pinstripe, and even if it were above the clear coat, it's paint, and the body shop said that even if it is ontop of the clear coat it's already sunk in and will always be noticable unless it's repainted.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

We need pics of this stripe....................
Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I can't picture a painted and clearcoated gaudy pinstripe in my head. Pics of the stripe, please.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:51 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Im glad they found your car and its getting replaced with the one you want. Think of it as a learning experience. Next time, never drive off the lot without your new vehicle exactly how you want it. If you're doing a trade, NEVER let them keep your car until the new one shows up. My father in law left his pickup and within 20 miles the new car started having major problems. He took it back and by then, someone had actually bought the pickup for cash and drove off the lot with it. He was totally screwed.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

damn, talk about keeping the seat warm for someone.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:43 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

aw hell no... I'd be at the dealership getting this corrected in person or a full refund.

No one puts a blue pinstripe on my red Stanger.

Quick Reply: Opinions on what I should do about this dealer.