Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Money from stock wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:15 AM
BrandonsBlueStang
1st Gear Member

Default Money from stock wheels?

How much did you get when you sold your stock wheels and tires? Where'd you sell them and how long did they take to sell?

I'm ordering new wheels Friday and I'd like to have an idea on what i'll be getting back from my old wheels and tires, which are in very good condition.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Well, the answer to that is you'll get what someone is willing to pay for them...

In all seriousness, how many miles on the tires? That will be the deciding factor on whether these rims/tires are worth $200 vs $350 (tops). Have you investigated your local CL to see what other OEM wheels are going for? That would likely be your best price comparison tool.

Don
Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 AM
BrandonsBlueStang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately i bought the car used and the dealer didn't know the exact miles on the tires. He just said they were fairly new, I've put 10k on them since i got the car so I would assume around 20k, I could not find the exact wheels on CL
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

To give you an idea, I have four brand new wheels/tires with just 560 miles on them with no blemishes at all, and I figure they're worth $500 for the set. I was planning on using one of the wheels with a smaller tire as spare (since the 2012's don't come with a spare), and I know someone at work that needs one as well. I might be able to get $125-150 for the tire and wheel from him.

If you go to Ford, the wheels are something like $200 each, and the tires would cost about $100 ea at Discount tire, but I figure there's no way I'd get $900 for a set of stock wheels/tires.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:32 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

I sold 4 17x7 stock 2011 wheels with 225 radials on them (about 50%) w/ center caps and lugnuts for $600 on ebay.. (not counting shipping)

Didn't get many nibbles, in fact the only bidder was actually a Nissan dealership up in TN (I checked out some of their previous purchases, they use ebay to get oem parts to put on cars they get on trade-ins).

GL, I think I got lucky personally, hope it goes well for you!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:44 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
To give you an idea, I have four brand new wheels/tires with just 560 miles on them with no blemishes at all, and I figure they're worth $500 for the set. I was planning on using one of the wheels with a smaller tire as spare (since the 2012's don't come with a spare), and I know someone at work that needs one as well. I might be able to get $125-150 for the tire and wheel from him.

If you go to Ford, the wheels are something like $200 each, and the tires would cost about $100 ea at Discount tire, but I figure there's no way I'd get $900 for a set of stock wheels/tires.
Mine came with a spare....
Old 04-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Well, the answer to that is you'll get what someone is willing to pay for them...

In all seriousness, how many miles on the tires? That will be the deciding factor on whether these rims/tires are worth $200 vs $350 (tops). Have you investigated your local CL to see what other OEM wheels are going for? That would likely be your best price comparison tool.

Don
Miles on the tires is not as important as thickness of the tread (depth). You can have a tire with 1000 miles and no tread or a tire with 10K miles and a boat load of tread.

Yes on the other suggestion of comparison investigation.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Miles on the tires is not as important as thickness of the tread (depth). You can have a tire with 1000 miles and no tread or a tire with 10K miles and a boat load of tread.

Yes on the other suggestion of comparison investigation.
Very true... I normally equate mileage to tread depth. I know they are literally not interchangable, but I do it anyways.

Don
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

sold my stockers on CL for $400 to someone with a New Edge Mustang.
my tires were pretty new, only 2k miles on them, rims were perfect.
tire tread also very good. i didnt burn out or race, so no dramatic tread wear.
tires alone cost more than that.
i wouldn't sell for less than 300.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 PM
BrandonsBlueStang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the comments, i'll probably price them at 350 on craigslist and hopefully they'll sell quick

Quick Reply: Money from stock wheels?