Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a 2011 GT with voided warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 AM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

Question Should I buy a 2011 GT with voided warranty?

So my dealer friend can get me a 2011 mustang GT from an auction for a great price (19-20k)

The only thing is that it has a voided warranty because of "suspension modifications"
It looks like it has lowering springs and control arms.

The voided warranty doesnt worry me to much since I want to mod the car anyway with intake, tune, lt's, and gears. AND I can always buy an aftermarket extende warranty .

The car also has a check engine light but I have a feeling it is nothing major. Maybe an air sensor, valve, oil change, or needs a tune up.

I say this because I drove the car and it drives fine. Pulls real hard and smoth, parks fine, the clutch is verrrryyy smooth.
No heavy shaking, no weird noises.

The car has that typical ford big power V8 engine movement but so did my 2003 cobra and 2005 gt. No rattling, just slight shaking.

What would you do?
Any insight? Past experience?

I'm thinking if worst case scenario I can always sell the car for what I paid for.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:57 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Find out what the CEL is for first. Also modified suspension wont void out the entire warranty, only the suspension components. The CEL should still be covered as it has nothing to do with the suspension.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 AM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dirtychamba
So my dealer friend can get me a 2011 mustang GT from an auction for a great price (19-20k)

The car also has a check engine light but I have a feeling it is nothing major. Maybe an air sensor, valve, oil change, or needs a tune up.

The car has that typical ford big power V8 engine movement but so did my 2003 cobra and 2005 gt. No rattling, just slight shaking.
First question- How much money can you afford to spend fixing this car after you buy it, If you are all in runaway now.

Second - Are you allowed the get a mechanic to check out a car before the auction? I've never bought a car at auction but a friend of mine who has says not really. You can do an onsite inspection but nothing major.

I've had four v8 Mustangs and none of them had the shakes and "having a feeling" that nothing major is wrong can be an expensive hunch.

Be prepared either way, good luck!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 AM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

Yea im taking my sct handheld with me to check out the cel.

But Since the car pulls hard and smooth would that kind of void any engine, transmission issue?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 AM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dirtychamba
The only thing is that it has a voided warranty because of "suspension modifications"
It looks like it has lowering springs and control arms.
Suspension mods will def not void the entire warranty. They have to prove that the modified parts were a direct contributor to the component failure. I'd get that CEL scanned at the local Ghetto-Zone so you have an idea of what you're getting in to. CEL shouldn't be on for oil change, and shouldn't need a tune-up.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

OK so maybe it has a voided warranty for suspension components only and the rest will still be under warranty?

Ok and so dending on the CEL after i scan it what will be the red flags on NOT to get the car?
and what kind CEL scan would be ok to get the car???
Old 04-24-2012, 12:49 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Well I'm not much of a high risk high reward player, so I'd be out on this one right away.

To me, the combination of a CEL, talk of a warranty void in any manner, and some form of engine shake is a giant red light. If you go for it, I'd do it under the assumption that you could have to put serious cash into it after purchase.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

If theres absolutely no warrantee there has to be some catch, something must be fuked beyond normality. how many miles are on it. Also, who claimed it was voided because of suspension modifications? mabe call ford and ask them to run the VIN of the car and try to get any more details on it. May have been tuned, actually i almost guarentee its been tuned since it has other mods, and possibly has a #8 cylinder issue which they will not fix because of the tune? thats my only theory i guess.

Last edited by Andy13186; 04-24-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:22 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I would run away from this car.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:27 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't sleep easy knowing I'd paid that much for a car with so many issues. Can you get a carfax?

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 2011 GT with voided warranty?