Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is more economical?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Any type of FI I would do a dyno tune. The slight variance from car to car is magnified with high HP/TQ numbers.

Also for N/A, I've never seen anyone use this setup but Ported/polished heads have always been an old school way of getting more power from a stock head

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...m-fr4-s197.htm
Old 05-09-2012, 02:09 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Any type of FI I would do a dyno tune. The slight variance from car to car is magnified with high HP/TQ numbers.

Also for N/A, I've never seen anyone use this setup but Ported/polished heads have always been an old school way of getting more power from a stock head

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...m-fr4-s197.htm
That's not a bad idea but I believe I can still get more power from a SC or Turbo for about the same price. If I were willing to reach the 600hp range then yeah it would be a great package. I will keep it in mind as I'm looking over my options.

I found a shop near my work that does tuning and other work on Mustangs so I'm probably gonna stop by there today and talk to them about their experiences on these situations.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:49 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

http://www.brenspeed.com/fbpaxton.html
http://www.brenspeed.com/v3vortech.html

$4k for a non-IC SC, tuner and tune included.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:16 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
I think I checked these out before because they look familiar. I was worried since they weren't inter-cooled that there could be issues with long drives (400+mile trips over the summer).

Are there any issues with these? because I think I remember some people stating issues with the Vortech over winter or something like that?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i think Vortech does not recommend you run their SC in below 40°.
but i'm not sure of the exact degrees it is.

there wont be any issues with long drives.
its not in boost all the time, only at WOT. otherwise it bypasses the SC.
the issue with non-IC is heat soak and power loss when it gets hot.
i have a friend running a non- IC vortech on a 89 Fox for over 10 years, no problems.
but i live in hawaii, and it never gets below 70° so cold is not a problem here.
a TS or PD SC does not have the same cold weather issues.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:34 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah here in Ga it even gets into the 20s and is no fun. It's rare we see snow but it happens. I would probably go with the Paxton.

So a supercharger is only active at WOT?? Really?? I thought it was always present as long as it was within the RPM range?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Hecubus28

I have the non inter-cooled Vortech on my car. They had a notice with the supercharger not to start it below 25 degrees. It wasn't a big deal this winter here in Arkansas as it hardly ever got that cold and I had a block heater for the times it did.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:48 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hecubus28
I have the non inter-cooled Vortech on my car. They had a notice with the supercharger not to start it below 25 degrees. It wasn't a big deal this winter here in Arkansas as it hardly ever got that cold and I had a block heater for the times it did.
That's an interesting idea. We have a block warmer in our F250. Based on the info in those links it seems that Paxton is the best and easiest way to go though.

Does anyone with the Novi have any issues with it in any area of performance.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Wow. Another "economy" discussion with respect to spending probably well over $4k to go FI. Ya' have to wonder...
Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Wow. Another "economy" discussion with respect to spending probably well over $4k to go FI. Ya' have to wonder...
Sorry Nuke. The reason I said economical was because I was refering to the price towards my goal specifically. I know that going FI is cheaper for those who want 450+ HP but I wasn't sure for my goal. Parts wise it doesn't seem like it should be $4000+ to reach 400rwhp but I guess I was wrong.

I'm also a 20 year old adult who doesn't like being considered a "kid" when on the forums so I prefer to use proper language, grammar and a little vocabulary. When you're young on the forums you tend to catch flack, so I like being treated like an equal rather than a child.

But I consider you a knowledgable person on this forum, so do you think you could answer any of my questions whether they are answered already or not?

Quick Reply: Which is more economical?