Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Roush Stage 1
Default Decisions, Decisions. I need a little advice.

I was hoping the late night crew could help me out. I'm going to lay out a set of options that I'm considering and I would like you guys to tell me which one you would go with.

EDIT: Quick question: Do I need to get 2 new cam phaser bolts no matter what cam I get?

I have BBK Ceramic Long Tubes on the way to my door.

A) Buy some Detroit Rockers/FRPP Hot Rod cams. Keep and install headers(will have to buy a shorty mid pipe). Use Bama tune. Cost: ~$1200

B) Buy some Detroit Rockers/FRPP Hot Rod cams. Sell headers(They are brand new and I got a good deal on them. Could probably make $100). Install cams, Use Bama Tune. Pay for dyno runs to see what my numbers are. Cost: ~$720

C) Buy some Detroit Rockers/FRPP Hot Rod cams. Sell headers, install cams. Pay for a dyno tune($400). Cost: ~$1000

D) Keep and install headers(will have to buy a shorty mid pipe). Use Bama tune. Cost: ~$600 With dyno runs Cost: ~720

What to do? I would like to know the numbers I'm making, but I also would like to have headers and cams installed.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

2005 Roush GT
Go: 4.10 gears | Bama 93 performance tune | Roush CAI | Roush Axlebacks | Nitto NT555 275/40/18 | Saleen short throw adapter | Smoked corner lights | BBK Ceramic Longtube Headers | BBK O/R Shorty X Pipe | FRPP Hot Rod Cams

Currently selling: FRPP 3.55 Gears for 8.8" rear end, OEM GT Throttle Body. PM me if interested.

Last edited by Roush05; 05-10-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Roush05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
outceltj
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007, Mustang Gt

keep the headers and get the cams. might cost a bit more but the headers and cam go hand in hand. u will pick up a good amount of hp with both. right around 30 or so. dyno tune for those mods wouldnt be in your best interest since bama and brenspeed and many other tuners have perfected there tunes on these
Detroit Rocker Cams, 410's, Saleen Supercharger, afco dual heat exchanger, TCI torque convertor, stage 3 saleen supercharger, dual gt500 fuel pumps, SS Brake Lines, and Power Slot rotors, LCAS, Koni Adjustables, alpine touch screen, PA deep tranny pan, fluidyne radiator, dynotech DS

B302 added3/31/14
11.216 at 123.42MPH
60ft-1.558
Stroked & Blown
outceltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outceltj View Post
keep the headers and get the cams. might cost a bit more but the headers and cam go hand in hand. u will pick up a good amount of hp with both. right around 30 or so. dyno tune for those mods wouldnt be in your best interest since bama and brenspeed and many other tuners have perfected there tunes on these
That second part is good to hear. I have a deal on some NSR Stage 2 Comp Cams and Steeda UDPs, but their idle is almost unnoticeable. However, I may end up going with them because I'm getting them and the UDPs for the price of what I would pay for just cams anywhere else. I'm gonna have a lot of stuff to install soon! I wonder if I can borrow the wedge and compressor that I need..

2005 Roush GT
Go: 4.10 gears | Bama 93 performance tune | Roush CAI | Roush Axlebacks | Nitto NT555 275/40/18 | Saleen short throw adapter | Smoked corner lights | BBK Ceramic Longtube Headers | BBK O/R Shorty X Pipe | FRPP Hot Rod Cams

Currently selling: FRPP 3.55 Gears for 8.8" rear end, OEM GT Throttle Body. PM me if interested.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
outceltj
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007, Mustang Gt

I believe u can rent the tools and I know there are some guyst here that have them that occassionally lend them out
Detroit Rocker Cams, 410's, Saleen Supercharger, afco dual heat exchanger, TCI torque convertor, stage 3 saleen supercharger, dual gt500 fuel pumps, SS Brake Lines, and Power Slot rotors, LCAS, Koni Adjustables, alpine touch screen, PA deep tranny pan, fluidyne radiator, dynotech DS

B302 added3/31/14
11.216 at 123.42MPH
60ft-1.558
Stroked & Blown
outceltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #5
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

If that's the case, I'd really appreciate it if they could lend them to me. I may be able to lend from somewhere local though.

I edited this into the OP. Quick question: Do I need to get 2 new cam phaser bolts no matter what cam I get?

2005 Roush GT

Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roush05 View Post
If that's the case, I'd really appreciate it if they could lend them to me. I may be able to lend from somewhere local though.

I edited this into the OP. Quick question: Do I need to get 2 new cam phaser bolts no matter what cam I get?
Yes you need 2 bolts, one for each side!

Do both, and make some dyno runs. If the email tune looks like crap, I'm sure you can get the dyno tune from the guy and not pay for the pulls, since you're getting it tuned.
305rwhp 322rwtq

For sale - GT500 H/E|GT500 Rails|GT500 Steering Wheel|Entire Car!|
S197GT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197GT07 View Post
Yes you need 2 bolts, one for each side!

Do both, and make some dyno runs. If the email tune looks like crap, I'm sure you can get the dyno tune from the guy and not pay for the pulls, since you're getting it tuned.
That's possible. I'll just have to save for a while longer before I put them on if I go that route.

EDIT: Do you guys think it will be too loud if I go cams and headers with an offroad H? Should I go with a high flow catted?

2005 Roush GT

Last edited by Roush05; 05-10-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

The headers wont make a volume difference since you already have an O/R H. The cams will make the car much louder at idle, but just that. Toss some M-80's in or change your axlebacks for a volume difference.
305rwhp 322rwtq

Old 05-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

I like the volume that my car is at now, so that's good. It sounds like I just need to find a shorty o/r h pipe and I'll be good to go. It's going to be an adventure putting both of these in. I have a lift available and all the tools I will need, but I've never done anything like this before.

2005 Roush GT

Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roush05 View Post
I like the volume that my car is at now, so that's good. It sounds like I just need to find a shorty o/r h pipe and I'll be good to go. It's going to be an adventure putting both of these in. I have a lift available and all the tools I will need, but I've never done anything like this before.
Its not that bad man. If you have the ability too, you could just cut your O/R pipe now to mate up to the BBK's

The install isn't bad man. If you want I can PM you my cell and you can call/text with any questions. Its easy!
305rwhp 322rwtq

Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
127200, cams, comp, or, sounds, stingers