Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would void warranty work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 03:22 PM
GT50GO
2nd Gear Member

Default What would void warranty work?

I have a new 2013 Mustang GT and am new to Ford world. I’m looking for anyone with experience or opinions with how they handle factory warranties. By doing some searching on this board I know that doing a tune will more than likely void warranty work on most of the main parts because they can see how many times it’s been flashed on the 2011 – present models. I’m also sure they would find a cat-back exhaust not to there liking. The only thing I would like to do is lower the Mustang ride height. The ride height isn’t bad as is but it’s a bit tall for my preference.
So if I put new lowering springs on and let’s say the motor, transmission or some other major part goes south would I be screwed?

Thanks for bearing with me on this newbie question.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

These days it depends on the dealership.
Some will void any warranty they can for any little thing, even though they should not.

But often times most dealerships would not care if you dropped the car.
Unless something happened to the suspension after.
BUT the wisest thing to do is to talk to the service manager and ask him.
No reason to be shy about it.

And whatever people tell you about the law, throw it out the door.
Dealerships do what they want with warranty if you mod the car regardless of the Mag act, which states that they can only void the warranty if the mod itself caused the
damage that needed to be worked on.
They do this because it costs so much for the customer to hire a lawyer.

As far as performance mods, dealerships are REALLY cracking down on them right now from what I hear.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 05-19-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:58 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

^^^ covered it in a nutshell. here ya go http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...-5-0-mustangs/

As stated some dealers are different.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Blacksmoke says it depends on the dealer. I believe it depends on what kind of wuss you are.

Most people will not challenge the dealership when they spew their "voids-the-warranty" bullchit. But if you know what you're talking about and have some *****, you'll usually get your way (or at least some large portion of it).

Best thing to do is to talk with the service manager. Be blunt. And don't be afraid to tell him you'll ask other dealerships. It shouldn't matter to you WHICH dealer gets your money for non-warranty work and don't be timid about letting him know that. They DO want your business, even if you show them they can't and won't walk all over you.... like a wuss.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

+1 with the Nuke.
Talk face to face with several Service Managers in your area. You will be able to tell which ones want your business and don't care about mods (in general).
Old 05-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Nuke
Blacksmoke says it depends on the dealer. I believe it depends on what kind of wuss you are.

Most people will not challenge the dealership when they spew their "voids-the-warranty" bullchit. But if you know what you're talking about and have some *****, you'll usually get your way (or at least some large portion of it).

Best thing to do is to talk with the service manager. Be blunt. And don't be afraid to tell him you'll ask other dealerships. It shouldn't matter to you WHICH dealer gets your money for non-warranty work and don't be timid about letting him know that. They DO want your business, even if you show them they can't and won't walk all over you.... like a wuss.
Actually it depends on both the dealer and how you approach the service manager. That is why I said not to be afraid to ask and talk to them.
Has nothing to do with being a wuss unless you just outright cave in or don't carry on more of a conversation other than "will modding my car void my warranty?"
Nuke said they do want your business, and that is why many will work with you on small modifications. Nothing wrong with responding to them about laws if they say no, or
telling them you can go elsewhere or have spoken to other dealerships that would take your warranty with the mods you plan. You SHOULD do that.
But don't be a ***** to them or you won't get anything from them.
I'm not saying Nuke is suggesting to be a *****, but I'm enforcing the idea of mutual respect.

If you try to FORCE your way on them many of them will tell you to go to hell, and if they don't... they will do a **** job of repairing your vehicle.

Bottom line is talk to them. Be respectful but let them know you know what you are talking about. Mutual respect is how things get done. And how they get done RIGHT.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 05-19-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As Blacksmoke, points out, it's how you approach them, too. I never implied to go in "guns blazing". Just be smart. Most dealers try to intimidate. Don't let them.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:20 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Dealers + Warranty = BS. Last week while in for one of my free oil changes, the dealer said that I was REQUIRED to have the dealer rotate the tires each service (at my expense) or it would void the power train warranty. I told them I had just recently rotated the tires myself, which was true, but they insisted that they had to do it (at my expense). It's not exactly a free warranty then is it? Anyway, this just goes to show what everybody else here has said. If not rotating your tires can void your warranty then I'd say any mods could put you at risk.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd report that one to Ford corporate and then tell the dealership's sales manager what the service department has pulled and that he will lose my business.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:58 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Tire rotation at your expense voids warranty..what a joke...just screws you....I would find another dealer, talk with Ford about that one, and not let them screw you again....

Things like that would have to be put in writing and also have Ford (not a dealer) tell me the same before I would allow it.

Quick Reply: What would void warranty work?