Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before & After Taillight Tint

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Tight Lines
1st Gear Member

Buddy is an insurance agent, he advised me not to do it. If your rear ended you can have issues if the tint is pointed out.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Nyhm
1st Gear Member

In kentucky, no matter what, if you are rear ended it is the other persons fault. And I mean no matter what including them slamming on the brakes in front of you for insurance fraud
Old 06-06-2012, 11:39 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ihateyourface
I was checking the laws and couldn't find anything. We don't have inspections in Illinois so either you find it in the laws or find out the hard why by getting pulled over. I might just call up the police station and hopefully don't get an attitude about answering the question.
I believe it is illegal in most places. Whats more important is how the cops in your area view it. I know here in MO we are required to have a plate on the front but I haven't had one since buying the car last year. The cops in my area also don't really check the tint levels on windows as I see people with 5% tint constantly. Call your local station and find out what they say, some officers are cool when it comes to the little things.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:51 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

i like that to bad i cant get away with it in ga
Old 06-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Ihateyourface

I checked and it is illegal. Around the suburbs of Chicago that I live they will pull you over quick for no front plate. My brother and Dad even got tickets for having a clear plastic cover on their plates. Good ole Cook County.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

I want to do this too, anyone have any idea if it's legal in most places? Cops in some of the Chicago suburbs will pull you over for any minor thing so if it isn't legal I'll have to pass on it.
I drive and live on the northwest side, never had any problems with 3 coats of vht niteshade tint on the tails sidemarkers or turn signals. But the law inl Ilinois states that the running lights must be visible from 500 ft away at night and the brake lights must be visible at 1000 ft. I keep hard photos in the car and video on my phone as proof. I was pulled over once for 12 over -.- (road tax) and the cop said nothing about it, or the sequentials, or the sidemarker/turn signal tint, headlight splitters or the 3rd brakelight stencil or 35% tinted windows or pypes midmullfer catback.

I try to never drive on country roads through small towns away from the city because cops have eaten some of my friends alive for lists of things like that.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

I checked and it is illegal. Around the suburbs of Chicago that I live they will pull you over quick for no front plate. My brother and Dad even got tickets for having a clear plastic cover on their plates. Good ole C[r]ook County.

**fixed**
I can't believe we still need plates on the front, any car from almost any other state could drive in and be perfectly legal without front plates. why should we have to?
Old 06-07-2012, 03:25 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

It actually looks darker in the garage in that pic. It's not as dark looking out in the sun.

Yea, there are certain towns that will pull ya for no front plate around Chicago. So far, I've only had trouble with cook county and state when it come to the plate issue.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Laws vary state to state, but I doubt the actual laws on the books have anything to do with 'tint' but more to do with view-able distance, given that many cars these days are sold with darkened housings/covers and are sold across all 50 states and abide by state laws obviously.

Given that the 10+ lights are waaaay overly bright, they 'need' some dang tint to not blind folks at night.. (Before I did mine, I recall seeing a lady 2 cars back 'through' the car directly behind me at night at a light due to my rears being so blinding..)
Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Ihateyourface

Originally Posted by Rylay
I can't believe we still need plates on the front, any car from almost any other state could drive in and be perfectly legal without front plates. why should we have to?
So that they can get you with those red light cameras lol.

Quick Reply: Before & After Taillight Tint