Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW Shifter Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:36 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Default MGW Shifter Impressions

Hey guys, just recently dropped the money on an MGW shifter, thought I'd share some pictures and impressions
from the install and driving, now that it's some had time to break in.

Hardest part of the install was getting the new shifter in through the hole in the center console. I tried to do it with the rubber dust boot installed on the shifter,
but we spent nearly a good half hour and couldn't get it to go. In the video they say the dust boot is the most challenging part and some do it ahead of time,
but I sure tried haha. Once we took the dust boot off, we were finally able to see and maneuver everything through the hole and got it in about 10 minutes.
After that the install was a piece of cake, except for trying to get the dust boot back on and around the top of the shifter. Space is limited at this point on the
drivers side of the shifter, and an angled needle nose set of pliers sure helps here.

Overall, a very easy install. At first I had it set to 5 out of 10 turns, and on the test drive it felt way too short for me. I wanted the crisp feeling and preciseness of the shifter,
but I don't mind a longer throw. Pulled it out in the morning before work, since I finished at about 12:30 at night, and changed it to 4. Goes to show how quickly this can be done,
I suppose. I love the feel of where it's at now.

Now, onto the pictures!

Here's everything laid out after opening up the box. The packaging job was insane, and the quality of the shifter was dumbfounding.

About an hour or so into the install, probably. Taking a break from trying to get the damn shifter in. Excuse the messy garage, my dad and I keep meaning to get around to that.

Comparison of old vs. new. You can really see the quality.

Crappy before pic (actually a screenshot of a before video)

After!

Loving the feeling of the shift ****. I was expecting it to be a bit smaller, but I've grown used to it and love it. Overall the feel of the shifter, especially after being broken in,
is simply fantastic! Well worth the money and time. So for all these short shifter threads I've been seeing, here's a pretty good answer!

Edit: Sorry for the size of the pics, turned out a bit bigger than I thought they would!

Last edited by HxCGuitars; 06-22-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:43 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

It really takes a while to truly break in. You'll appreciate it more then. I've got around 50,000 miles on mine and it is better than ever.

Frank
Old 06-22-2012, 07:48 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
It really takes a while to truly break in. You'll appreciate it more then. I've got around 50,000 miles on mine and it is better than ever.

Frank
Good to hear! I've got maybe 400 or so miles on mine, already feels great! Glad to hear I've got more to look forward to haha.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

I bought my mgw used from a guy on s197. Installed it at my uncles shop using a lift. (oh how i love lifts) finished in about an hour and set it around 5 if i remember correctly.
It looks so much better and feels alot tighter when shifting. No slop
+100 for mgw shifters
Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default MGW Fan

I can't imagine why anybody would buy anything else. Like Porsche says, "There is no substitute".
Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Woodys2718

Love my MGW.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

I had an easy install and would not have another shifter in my stang!!! As far as the shifter ball goes.....Look for a "cue ball" size one.....if you are a male it will MUCH better fit your hand. The "regular size" ball stinks!!
I have NO idea why anyone would get a marble sized shifter ball. The MGW ball is a marble! Do research for a real shifter ball.

Last edited by Mayberry40; 06-22-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:59 PM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Nice! Definitely on my to-do list
Old 06-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I rotate shifter ***** on my MGW from time to time. I am currently running the MGW "Gripper" ball. I love it.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Wil
2nd Gear Member

Got mine install a few months back, does anyone know if or how to make it so the shift points are closer? I remember on my 2001 GT Tri Ax shifter was a lot shorter then MGW. I didn't install the MGW shifter myself.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Impressions