Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loaded V-6 or base GT for 1st Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:56 AM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Go with your gut. Personally I have never owned a V6 and never will, I enjoy the power too much and would trade all the tech goodies in the world for more power. Oh and I like GHIG too, easily my new favorite color.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:20 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackGT45th
Personally I have never owned a V6 and never will, I enjoy the power too much
You do realize the new v6 is more powerful than your v8 right?

Plus what few of the v8 guys realize is that while the v8 aftermarket is staying about the same, the v6 world is growing like crazy. If you spend the money saved from buying the v6 on aftermarket mods, you will have a more powerful car than if you just bought a comparable package GT.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:45 AM
joeroy

i went for a new base gt and no regretts, but buying used sure saves lots money and base interior sure is bland but thats not important to me.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 AM
dylan's5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS

Plus what few of the v8 guys realize is that while the v8 aftermarket is staying about the same, the v6 world is growing like crazy. If you spend the money saved from buying the v6 on aftermarket mods, you will have a more powerful car than if you just bought a comparable package GT.
lol. well comparing the 2005-2009//10's is one thing to compare to the newer 2011-2013's lol. the 05-09 V6's are garbage lol. (perofrmance wise) The newer V6's is where its at if you want a v6 mustang. But i LOVE the sound of my 2011 5.0. I have been dying for a v8 and i found one that suites all my needs. The car rides smooth, has plenty of power (im already used to LOL) and can pretty much beat the brakes off a lot of stock cars rollin around. I mean im sure both cars can be fun to drive but for the little bit of extra cash why not? if i wanted a v6 i probably wouldnt have gotten a mustang. maybe the new genesis or something. idk. reguardless. its all up to what the OP wants. I just printed off my window sticker off a website (one of the threads here will show u how) and my 2011 GT Premium with the 6 speed auto and Electronics package added came out to a MSRP of $37,030.00 (with a $850 destination delivery and the vehicle and options) I bought the car for 31,000 out the door with 18k miles.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I live in Wisconsin and drive my 3.7 all year long. I could have just as easily purchased the V8, but driving the 3.7 in the snow works out really well. It is very well balanced and the engine is really tame up to 3,000 RPM, so I shift early in wet or snowy conditions. I think driving a 420 HP V8 with the extra weight in the front would be a little more difficult. I have the power heated leather seats, they are awesome in the winter. Btw, my best 0-60 is 5.4 seconds, faster than any of the stock V8s I've owned.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:05 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS

Wrong statement. The new V6 is not MORE powerful than (I assume you meant 05-09) V8's. They may be similiar horsepower, but not the same torque. "HP sells cars, Torque wins races"

This isn't about V6 vs V8, there are 4 cylinder cars that can woop up on v8's etc. etc blah blah.

Keep it focused on what the OP asked for. The Pro's and Con's of his decision, not the "my ***** are bigger than yours" threads.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
"HP sells cars, Torque wins races"
No, torque does not win races. Torque wins launch contests.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

If torque won races we'd all be driving tractors. Torque does make a car feel faster at times, you'll have more power at lower RPM. The 3.7 will require a lot more shifting to have any power. It is very quick off the line, MotorTrend clocked it a 0-60 in 5.1 and ran the 1/4 mile in the 13s. The 3.7 does bog down if you are under 3,000 RPM. If you have an auto, it's not a big deal, it'll downshift pretty quickly when you get on it. If you have a stick, you need to be able to downshift quickly to get into the power band. Some people like it, some people don't. Have you driven both?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 AM
briankeene

I drove the 6 with the automatic, I'm gonna drive the stick. I'm gonna go right now.
I have a 45 minute each way commute in Chicago and the 6 sounds like it would handle better in the snow. I would probably not do any mods except maybe rims and stuff. I love that gt power but like the comfort too. Finding an 11 or 12 gt premium is an option too.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Enzo Ferrari was once quoted as saying "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races". That was his quote not mine.

My post was a warning to get off the V6 vs V8 arguement. And this coming from someone who had a V6 and a V8.

Quick Reply: Loaded V-6 or base GT for 1st Mustang?