Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no daytime running lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:14 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Default Why no daytime running lights?

I was thinking about this earlier, and have wondered for years...Howcome Ford has never put daytime running lights on the Mustang when they seem to be on about 90% of the other cars on the road produced since 2000 or so? Even GM had them on the 4th-gen Camaro and Firebird (don't recall off the top of my head if they're on the new Camaros) even though they were those weird super-bright parking lights that GM seems to like using.

Just curious
Old 07-11-2012, 06:55 AM
dennisafrompa
1st Gear Member

I don't know BUT I'm glad they don't. I know how to turn on my lights when I think they are needed to make me more visible.

I've been a driver 54 years and have well over a million miles on the road.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:38 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Thanks sweet Jesus they don't have them...BTW, I cannot comment on any other camaros than the 2011 (wife has one) but they do have the DRL...
Old 07-11-2012, 07:48 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

I hate daytime running lights...
Old 07-11-2012, 08:28 AM
YerBuddy
2nd Gear Member

Move to Canada...It's mandatory and Mustangs come with them. Personally, I'm glad they don't. I know how to turn the lights on/off.

I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes mandatory at some point. Just like TPMS...I know how to check tire pressure, but there are so many people who don't/won't that someone decided it would be a good idea to have a sensor tell us when the tire pressure is low. Phooey!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I think the 2013's LEDs in the headlight casing are DRL? If so, I think they look pretty cool... Seems like all manufacturers are adding LEDs to cars these days.

TPMS is a great safety feature that will alert you while driving if one of your tires starts losing pressure because of a puncture or road damage while driving. On my previous car (without TPMS) I experienced this while driving highway speeds on the interstate. I was in heavy traffic and by the time I realized one of my tires was going flat, I didn't have time to pull over and save the tire. Also slowing down with a flat and having to maneuver over to the emergency lane in heavy traffic was challenging. If I had TPMS on that car, it would have alerted me before the tire went completely flat and I could have pulled over with more control and possibly saved the tire from shredding itself. So I am glad TPMS is mandatory, especially with all of the inexperienced and clueless drivers on the road!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Uhm...
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=396&viewfile=Daytime%20Running%20Lamps%20(DRL ).pdf
Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
If the smart junction box (SJB) is configured for
DRL, this feature illuminates the low beam
headlamps at a reduced intensity when the following
conditions exist:
• The ignition switch is in the RUN position.
• The headlamp switch is in the OFF position.
• The parking brake is not engaged.
For additional information on the low beam
headlamps, refer to Section 417-01.
Want it? Have a dealer turn 'em on in SJB with VCM/IDS tool...
Old 07-11-2012, 09:02 AM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

I personally don't think DLR do enough because the rear lights are not on, which to me is more important in traffic.

I also ride motorcycles, and most bike's lights (headlights and tail lights) are on automatically when you turn the key.

So when I drive, especially in heavy traffic, I turn on my lights so the tails on are, and I like the front fogs running as my DLRs. Every little bit helps in traffic and avoiding accidents for me, it's probably the biker in me.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SD 197
I personally don't think DLR do enough because the rear lights are not on, which to me is more important in traffic.

I also ride motorcycles, and most bike's lights (headlights and tail lights) are on automatically when you turn the key.

So when I drive, especially in heavy traffic, I turn on my lights so the tails on are, and I like the front fogs running as my DLRs. Every little bit helps in traffic and avoiding accidents for me, it's probably the biker in me.
DRLs are far more important than rear lights because of the closing speeds between your vehicle and the vehicle coming at you (120MPH if both vehicles are traveling 60 MPH each). If somebody is coming up behind you, their closing speed is likely less than 20MPH. DRLs make you more visible to oncoming traffic and will alert a distracted driver earlier and possibly avoid an accident (reaction time is increased).

I personally dislike DRLs that utilize the low beam headlights, but I think the LEDs that are coming out on all vehicles look pretty cool in most cases.

BTW, I will run with my running lights and HID fogs on if visibility is an issue.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 AM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

They started addding them standard on the 2012 model year.

Quick Reply: Why no daytime running lights?