Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Mods Suggestions for College-student Budget

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Hexanon

Default V6 Mods Suggestions for College-student Budget

[Post will be regularly updated as I go along]

Hey guys, Hexanon here, from SoCal. I know there are already several threads similar to what I'm asking, but I might be a little more specific. I'm fine with how my stock V6 vert runs and handles, I don't drive that much as I'm mostly too busy studying, at school, or at home resting thanks to studying and school.

At the moment, I'm looking for budget-conscious ways to work on my Mustang's appearance (also, performance, if it's the reasonably priced and worth). Since I'm almost always at school, most of my Mustang's 'showtime' is when I'm circling the college parking lots looking for parking space while girls in their summer clothing look on. Therefore it is of utmost importance that I get their knickers wet every time they see me comin' round the corner. Here is the list of possible mods, suggestions contributed by members such as yourself and also me.

SUGGESTED MODS:
- Exhaust/Mufflers for extra sound: GT Takeoffs/Ford Racing GTA?
- Grille: Roush 9-Bar
- Lights: Sequential tail lights, Smoked side markers
- Body: CDC Chin Spoilers (color-matched), GT CS F/R bumpers

ORDERED/TO BE INSTALLED:
- none at the moment -

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED
- AmericanMuscle 14" Short Antenna
- Blackout Rear Decklid Panel
- K&N High-Flow Air Filter

Keep the advice and suggestions coming. I'm on a limited budget as a foreign student, but I would love to put the little money I have left (think $200-300/month) after rent, groceries, gas, etc. into my car. If any of you are selling any of the aforementioned accessories/parts and are in SoCal, preferably in the general LA area, I am willing to take it off your hands for a (minimal) price.

Photo of my car as it currently stands: (you can see the cracked stock lip)

Name:  7sBcX.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  42.2 KB

Thanks! I am anticipating your enthusiastic replies and responses. Updates are below.

Current Mods:
- 18" 2011 Mustang GT 5-spoke Rims + 235/50/18 Pirelli P Zero Nero (added 7/22/2012)
- K&N High-Flow Air Filter, Blackout Rear Decklid Panel, 14" antenna (added 7/27/2012)

Last edited by Hexanon; 07-27-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:58 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Skip the pony special crap.

I personally like the roush 9 bar grill with the pony logo for the front.

Chin spoiler painted to your car. I have the CVC series, it doesn't protrude as much as some. I believe I got mine from late model restoration.

Side scoops, they really change the car.

Rear deck lid panel.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

I would get a GT front bumper and a roush grille with a set of bullit rims.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:33 PM
08caliGT
1st Gear Member

Can usually grab a used set of rims right around 400-600$. Just takes patience for something to come up. Visually: Quarter louver, springs, front bumper, grills, headlights, taillights, rear bumper, dual exhaust conversion. Simple and not over the top. I'd check out AmericanMuscle for their v6 project car. Not a whole lot done, but enough to catch the eye.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:57 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

non car comment... if you are a foreign student, your English is effing awesome. Most cant get the proper words right. understanding is fine but, you seem to even have the little niche phrases down. good job man!
Old 07-22-2012, 03:12 AM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

yeah man I am a college student too, it sucks knowing exactly what you want your car to be and how to build it but not being able too because of cash. I stared with an 06 V6 pony package so I already had the harness for the foglamps. I was running a roush 9 bar grille for a while with a V6 front end and it looked good. It took me a year but so far I have done GT front and rear bumpers, GT grille with fogs, CDC classic chin spoiler, Roush hood scoop, GT500 spoiler, painted the calipers black, painted my bullets black, painted my badges black, tinted my tail lights front and rear side markers, GT dual exhaust. Nobody can tell its a V6 now and thats the way I want it, considering my last car had a corvette engine in it.. Good luck with yours, black bullits with black racing stripes would be killer and stand out in the parking lot...
Old 07-22-2012, 11:13 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Don't bother with the magnetic black out panel. It doesn't last very long and becomes a waste of money. I had mine for about half a year before it started to shrink and crack. I went with vinyl after that. Much better for something that can be temporary.

+1 on the Roush nine bar, though you can get that "generic" from other vendors such as American Muscle for much cheaper. I didn't bother adding a pony emblem on mine. Gives the front a clean look.

Wheels will give you an instant change to the look of your stang, though I'm personally not a fan of bullitts. AM offers 6% forum discount though I believe you need to have a minimum of 50 posts and PM the rep on here for the code.

Oh and get rid of that riding crop of an antenna. Get a shorty, one of the best $15 spent ever.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What's your budget look like?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:20 AM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

here is what the roush 9 bar looks like on a v6

click the pic to make bigger

Old 07-22-2012, 05:09 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

My car started out looking very much like yours except mines not a vert. hood scoops look good, vinyl stripes add a more aggresive look, a new front bumper really adds a meaner look, if you cant afford that gotta a least get a chin spoiler and definately ditch the stock wheels for larger aftermarket wheels. I see on your sig that you are claiming your paint code is Mineral Gray if its a 2008 its not they only used that color on s197's in 2005. If you do have a 2005 Mineral gray I have a gently used Roush hood scoop Im trying to sell.

Last edited by 05MineralGrayV6; 07-22-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: V6 Mods Suggestions for College-student Budget