Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is going from a 2011 V6 to a 2010 GT an upgrade or downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:59 PM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Question Is going from a 2011 V6 to a 2010 GT an upgrade or downgrade?

Hey guys/gals. So I love my car. Let's just get that out there. I freaking love it! There's just some things that I feel like I'm missing out on. Sound, interior, and that "GT status". I just feel discouraged a little because when I bought my V6, the 2013's came out and the prices dropped for the previous year models and I could've been in a 2011 GT if I waited 2 freakin weeks -_- But getting into a 2011 GT, as much as I want to, is a little bit of a stretch right now. So 2010 would have to do.

So I've kinda categorized everywhere that this would be an upgrade/downgrade for. Here it goes.

Looks (upgrade) - Same body style, but better front end IMO. I like the GT front end over the V6.

Sound (UPGRADE) - Yeah for a V6 my car sounds beastly, but we all know that GT sound.... mesmerizing. And yes I would change the exhaust shortly after getting the car.

Interior (upgrade) - I'm looking around and I can get into a a premium model. My V6 is base.

MPG (maybe downgrade?) - I get roughly 16-17 city the way I drive my car. Pretty spirited driver So i'm not sure how much of a loss, if at all, I'd get with the GT. Not really a concern with me though. Gas is gas. It gets above $5.00 and I'm gonna have to get a sport bike.

Payment (same) - I haven't talked with my bank yet about this one, but I don't foresee it being any higher.

Tranny (UPGRADE!) I'm looking at a manual I have an auto now and yeah... I know that alone would be enough to convince some of you guys.

Power - Now here is where I need some opinions. I can beat a stock/slightly modded automatic 05-09 GT any day. I've got a tune, CAI, and exhaust on my car now probably pushing close to 335 HP. BUT, would a tune, CAI, and exhaust on a 2010 still benefit as much as it did for my 2011? I know the engines are different. So that's where I need some help.

So overall, it's an upgrade. I'm almost 100% positive I can handle it financially so no problems there. Gonna go talk to my bank ASAP about this. Opinions? Let em fly!

EDIT: I figured I'd link you guys to the few I'm looking at online as of right now. Not much searching has been done.

Black 2010 Non Premium

Red 2010 GT Premium

White 2010 GT non premium

Last edited by bigD1515; 09-23-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

Performance wise there are damn close to being the same. I have a base 2010 gt. I've raced my buddy with his 2011 v6. At the time mine was stock. His had a tune, and I couldn't pull away from him and vise versa. Sound wise is good. With the mods in my Sig right now I get 27mpg over the stock 24mpg. City is probably way worse. Also the base gt doesn't give you your mpg on your gauges so I do it the old fashioned way. Other than that I still enjoy mineand there are lots more mods for a v8 versus the v6 though that department is slowly growing.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

my quick own opinion would be: you should wait to pull the trigger on a 5.0 11' when the price match your seeking. you missed the deal like your saying when you bought your v6, I dont think it worth trading back for a 4.6, I seriously think you would be way happier with a base gt 11' with the new powerful 5.0 that react damn good to tune etc, just wait a bit look around, meet dealer to see how much they cangive you for your car in exchange of a 5.0 but at first, get a price set from the dealer before even talking about your current car, then once they throw you a number, you can throw in your car in for a trade and see if they low ball you, they wont be able to play on the main price if they already told you also, someone correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure ive read that the 5.0 mpg is damn good when moderate-driving again that my opinion! youd have some fun with the 10' GT but it wouldnt be crazy big difference, just different driving style, but upgrading and grabbing the 5.0 would make it worth the hunt n seek! good luck either way

Last edited by mighted1987; 09-23-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 PM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by johngt10
Performance wise there are damn close to being the same. I have a base 2010 gt.
Thanks for the opinion John. Would you happen to have a video of your car? You've done quite a bit!

Originally Posted by mighted1987
my quick own opinion would be: you should wait to pull the trigger on a 5.0 11' when the price match your seeking. you missed the deal like your saying when you bought your v6, I dont think it worth trading back for a 4.6, I seriously think you would be way happier with a base gt 11' with the new powerful 5.0 that react damn good to tune etc, just wait a bit look around, meet dealer to see how much they cangive you for your car in exchange of a 5.0 but at first, get a price set from the dealer before even talking about your current car, then once they throw you a number, you can throw in your car in for a trade and see if they low ball you, they wont be able to play on the main price if they already told you also, someone correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure ive read that the 5.0 mpg is damn good when moderate-driving again that my opinion! youd have some fun with the 10' GT but it wouldnt be crazy big difference, just different driving style, but upgrading and grabbing the 5.0 would make it worth the hunt n seek! good luck either way
My only thing with the 5.0 is I heard the insurance is about ~$65 more than the 2010 GT. As much as I want an 11, don't think I can grab it right now. Planning on getting a 2015 model in the future so I don't wanna kill my budget. Thanks for the opinion The 5.0's seriously are crazy!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:12 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

I can't give you a head on comparison to the v6, but I can tell you that I love my 2010 GT. Mine's a Premium with the 3.73 axle package a/k/a Track Pack I and most all the bells and whistles.

Straight line, they will be similar, but he GT will have a lot more torque, which is really nice to have.

Big difference is the suspension. The GT suspension is a lot beefier. If you are looking for smooth, then the GT is a downgrade - though the ride is pretty good for a sports car. If you are looking for suspension which will get your though the twisties quick, then the GT is an upgrade.

My average city driving is about 20 mpg. Highway about 25 mpg. If I "exercise" it a lot on the street, it can go down as low as 16 mpg., but i have to work pretty hard to get it that low.

Lots of mods for the 4.6 (but I'm not into the engine modding). The 4.6 is not nearly as stressed as the 5.0. The 4.6 puts out about 1.1 hp per ci. The 5.0 puts out about 1.4 hp. The 4.6 would have to be brought up to about 390 bhp before the two engines are equally stressed. Your 3.7 is already putting out about 1.4 hp per ci. So, You will have to do some serious stressing of the engine (about 1.8 hp per ci) to bring it up to where the 4.6 is putting out the 1.4 hp per ci. To do so, you will probably lose reliability and longevity compared to the 4.6.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 AM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JThor
I can't give you a head on comparison to the v6, but I can tell you that I love my 2010 GT. Mine's a Premium with the 3.73 axle package a/k/a Track Pack I and most all the bells and whistles.

Straight line, they will be similar, but he GT will have a lot more torque, which is really nice to have.

Big difference is the suspension. The GT suspension is a lot beefier. If you are looking for smooth, then the GT is a downgrade - though the ride is pretty good for a sports car. If you are looking for suspension which will get your though the twisties quick, then the GT is an upgrade.

My average city driving is about 20 mpg. Highway about 25 mpg. If I "exercise" it a lot on the street, it can go down as low as 16 mpg., but i have to work pretty hard to get it that low.

Lots of mods for the 4.6 (but I'm not into the engine modding). The 4.6 is not nearly as stressed as the 5.0. The 4.6 puts out about 1.1 hp per ci. The 5.0 puts out about 1.4 hp. The 4.6 would have to be brought up to about 390 bhp before the two engines are equally stressed. Your 3.7 is already putting out about 1.4 hp per ci. So, You will have to do some serious stressing of the engine (about 1.8 hp per ci) to bring it up to where the 4.6 is putting out the 1.4 hp per ci. To do so, you will probably lose reliability and longevity compared to the 4.6.
Good to know! Thank you! Suspension isn't an issue for me at all. In fact I was thinking of lowering the V6 soon anyways. The GT I'm really interested in is already lowered ;p
Old 09-24-2012, 12:23 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Just drive your V6 and save your money for a 5.0. As much as I love my 4.6 the 3V is a dead engine. All the future development will be on the 5.0. I think you would be making a financial error to trade your 2011 for a 2010 GT.

Earl
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigD1515
Good to know! Thank you! Suspension isn't an issue for me at all. In fact I was thinking of lowering the V6 soon anyways. The GT I'm really interested in is already lowered ;p
Hope it helps. One other thing that's important is the driveshaft issue. The v6 is limited to 112 mph, the GT to 155 mph. (the '11 - '13 GT's are limited to 145. Figure that one out) What I have seen is if you defeat the v6 limiter, and exceed 112, you are risking blowing up your driveshaft. Even aftermarket ones are blowing up. So, there's something in the design from v6 tranny to diff which really limits the speed of the car. If you your uses do not contemplate exceeding 112 mph, then it's no problem. If your planned uses exceed 112 mph, then the GT is a must.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
Just drive your V6 and save your money for a 5.0. As much as I love my 4.6 the 3V is a dead engine. All the future development will be on the 5.0. I think you would be making a financial error to trade your 2011 for a 2010 GT.

Earl
I understand what you are saying, but each engine has its followers. There's still lots of stuff happening with the 2V pushrod engines. So, I don't think the 3V are going away anytime soon. You're right, however, that the 5.0 is much more advanced than the 4.6.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:38 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

side grade imo. I understand the desire to swap over to a v8, but you'll really just be gaining some low end torque and a tiny bit more pull, and losing some efficiency.

you think your mileage won't change because of the way you drive.. but honestly, if you are making 16-17 city while flogging it .. the v8's probably going to get 8-14.. they are thirsty when constantly beaten up on.

Quick Reply: Is going from a 2011 V6 to a 2010 GT an upgrade or downgrade?