Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best way to get oil off my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:59 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Default What's the best way to get oil off my car?

Sometime in the last few weeks I apparently ran through some oil on the highway or on a road somewhere, and it threw it all up on my rocker panel and rear quarter. I have bug & tar remover but it's this thick gel stuff that's made more for spot treatments. If I just wash the car and use good soap will that suffice? The oil has dirt in it and almost looks like it would just wipe off, or at least it kinda does with my finger, I just don't know how much residue it would leave.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 PM
mmdpg
1st Gear Member

I've found Simple Green to be a really good degreaser. Spray it on, let it soak in for a few minutes then rinse it off. Make sure all of the grit is gone with most of the oil before hand washing the area with auto wash soap and water.

Simple Green also works really well at removing brake dust from wheels and tires.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:21 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

CarPro TarX
or you could try Stoners Tarminator if you can find it locally. I will say from experience TarX works MUCH better at any type of grease/adhesive/tar then tarminator.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:11 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Hell, I wasn't even thinking...I've got a whole bottle of Purple Power sitting on my shelf! I'll try that stuff first I think.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Mach2
2nd Gear Member

Spray the area with WD-40, then spray it on a soft rag and wipe the area. Should take care of it. If you ever get gum splattered on your car, WD-40 works great on that too. Used to have a 32 highboy roadster, painted black. Went to go for a scoot one day and noticed pink bubble gum all down the side of the body. Remembered I'd read somewhere where WD-40 works, tried it and it worked great.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:29 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

A good dish soap should break up the oil and be okay on the paint. You'll want to re-wax after, as it will also break down the wax. WD-40 is kinda oily in itself, so not sure that would give you the results you're looking for.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:33 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
A good dish soap should break up the oil and be okay on the paint. You'll want to re-wax after, as it will also break down the wax. WD-40 is kinda oily in itself, so not sure that would give you the results you're looking for.
i read something similar before. Dawn dish soap is used in oil spills regions to clean wildlife of the oil, so no reason it won't work on your car. make sure to rewax, as was stated.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Plain old kerosene works great
Old 11-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Mach2
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
WD-40 is kinda oily in itself, so not sure that would give you the results you're looking for.
WD-40 is oil, and it works great removing oily bi-products picked up from the road. WD-40 will not hurt your paint finish. Try in on a small area first, you'll see.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach2
WD-40 is oil, and it works great removing oily bi-products picked up from the road. WD-40 will not hurt your paint finish. Try in on a small area first, you'll see.
I don't disagree, but it would seem you'd still need to soap/wash the WD-40 off, as it won't leave a clean finish. Why not cut out the middle man and just use Dawn and warm water?

Quick Reply: What's the best way to get oil off my car?