Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got the Borla Touring Exhaust -

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Just got the Borla Touring Exhaust -

All I can say is ehhh...

It is alright, I know some people love it, others not so much. I am in the latter. I was expecting more. I wanted something loud but not obnoxious. These can get pretty loud but only when you stomp on them. Just cruising and at idle, it sounds slightly better than stock. I always drive home with the radio blasting. Today, no radio and I just listened to the exhaust through 30 miles of rush hour traffic. Definitely no droning at all, but also no sound. I picked my friend up who is a muscle car enthusiast, who owns a new Camaro, he didnt even notice the exhaust. I did not really get on it too much, but still.

Not sure what to do next. These things aren't cheap. Guess I have to live with it for awhile. Let me know what you guys think. Maybe it will grow on me. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

There is probably a bigger difference outside the car than you can tell from the cabin.

If our exhausts were interchangeable I would trade you my Borla S-type lol. The drone gets annoying in the winter.

Maybe try some hi-flow cats if you want some more sound with the same tone.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
There is probably a bigger difference outside the car than you can tell from the cabin.

If our exhausts were interchangeable I would trade you my Borla S-type lol. The drone gets annoying in the winter.

Maybe try some hi-flow cats if you want some more sound with the same tone.
I would love to trade my exhaust. Too bad that won't work in our case. I'll look into the hi-flow cats.

Lucky for me I don't have to worry about that winter drone in AZ. It is still in the mid 80's right now
Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

they have three levels of loud and you picked the quiet, tame, barely louder than stock version, bummer, but .. to be expected!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:42 AM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

Just to go further on what Entaille said, on the borla website when that awkward guy is doing the test drives with exhaust, he says touring is the subtle upgrade if you don't want to hear any noise in the cabin. Only time you will hear a slight difference is at WOT. But hey you can try sell them or upgrade your mid pipe. Besides that you are stuck because borla's aren't cheap.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

yeah.. that was actually the most informative I've seen from an exhaust manufacturer. not many produce multiple exhausts, let alone clearly try to set your expectations before purchasing it : /
Old 12-11-2012, 05:46 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

That is what I have and I get more complements on my exhaust than any other I have ever had. Even from car fanantics. You can always sell them on the classifieds on this forum. Yes you will take a hit but it is better than nothing at all. Sorry it did not do what you wanted to accomplish.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT

Ahhh.. it's tolerable.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 AM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

I may post them on the site as well as Craigslist. What exhaust do you guys recommend? I want something aggressive but not obnoxious.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
All I can say is ehhh...

It is alright, I know some people love it, others not so much. I am in the latter. I was expecting more. I wanted something loud but not obnoxious. These can get pretty loud but only when you stomp on them. Just cruising and at idle, it sounds slightly better than stock. I always drive home with the radio blasting. Today, no radio and I just listened to the exhaust through 30 miles of rush hour traffic. Definitely no droning at all, but also no sound. I picked my friend up who is a muscle car enthusiast, who owns a new Camaro, he didnt even notice the exhaust. I did not really get on it too much, but still.

Not sure what to do next. These things aren't cheap. Guess I have to live with it for awhile. Let me know what you guys think. Maybe it will grow on me. Thanks!

You should definitely look into a High-flow catted mid-pipe. IMO, that's what the Borla Touring mufflers need to sound really good. Not to mention you'll pick up a little power as well. Another option is an Off Road Mid-pipe, but you'll definitely need a tune for that and may have issues passing emissions in your County (if you have emissions).

Bottom line- IMO, I think you should hold onto them and see what they sound like with an aftermarket mid-pipe. I have a feeling that will produce just the sound you're looking for.

Hope this helps!

Shane

Quick Reply: Just got the Borla Touring Exhaust -