Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida rain!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 PM
dastanley

Default Florida rain!

So after owning my 1st Mustang for just over 1 month, I came home yesterday to discover it sitting in the middle of a small lake. It turns out the rain had pooled in our parking lot, and came up to just over the hubcaps on the car. This was well below the level of the door.

Nonetheless, when I opened the car, I found pools of water on the floor, about 0.5 inches deep!

Since the water did not come in through the door, I'm trying to figure out how it could have entered. Are there drainage holes on the floor underneath the carpet that it could have seeped through? The water was probably high enough to touch the underside of the floor. I've attached a picture of the mayham going on in the front seat

Any thoughts? Thanks for looking!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:11 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Do a search, theres a plug over on the passenger side somewhere. Its a common occurrence I believe. If I could recall the name of it, i would tell you but, my minds drawing a blank.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:27 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

You have the infamous water leak tsb or the 2 black drains are clogged under the cabin air filter. The tsb is related to water leaking through the holes that the black cover connects to in the photo, also there are 2 drains, 1 is under the air filter and the other is on the other side. There is an electrical center(SJB - Smart Junction Box) that is under the passenger kick panel to the right. Check and make sure none of the wires are wet and get it dried out or you will start to notice a lot of little funky electrical problems.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...623-1819-2.jpg

Last edited by obxdude018; 12-11-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:11 PM
dastanley

I see, thanks. I was having trouble getting underneath the carpet to dry out the moisture and decided to just take it to the dealer and let them pull everything up. What a mess. I'll definitely be sure to keep that drainway clean in the future.

Do you guys have any other suggestions on things I should get checked while it's at the dealer. Electrical systems come to mind first, but I've also heard that this type of soaking can wash away some of the protective coatings on the car's metal surfaces, which could lead to future rusting

I hope this is not related, but I checked the oil level and it seemed high, at least 50% above the max marker on the dipstick.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:05 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

High oil is a bad thing, have the dealer change it while they have it. I wouldn't want to drive a car with too high of oil because it can very easily break thing!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I was driving home in that ****! The plastic wiper cowl sits in plastic clips. These clips have a foam seal under them that doesn't work for ****. Water gets past the clip and runs down the inside of the firewall and pools under your carpet. Remove the foam and use some gasket maker to seal these clips. It could also be coming in through the fresh air vent, but my money is on the clips.

Last edited by moosestang; 12-11-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You have water on your sill area...
It means that, since you mentioned the water went at mid wheel level, it got in through the door's bottom drain holes.
Then the water raised inside your door until it escaped through your door panel onto your sill plate and down your floor boards.
I have seen this a few times now when those drain plugs get clogged (doesn't take much) and under heavy down fall, it will build up fast inside the door.
Take those plugs away, they're useless and get clogged easily.

You might have that infamous water leak but in your case I think the water was too high to begin with...
Old 12-11-2012, 07:49 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
You have water on your sill area...
It means that, since you mentioned the water went at mid wheel level, it got in through the door's bottom drain holes.
Then the water raised inside your door until it escaped through your door panel onto your sill plate and down your floor boards.
I have seen this a few times now when those drain plugs get clogged (doesn't take much) and under heavy down fall, it will build up fast inside the door.
Take those plugs away, they're useless and get clogged easily.

You might have that infamous water leak but in your case I think the water was too high to begin with...
He stated that it never got to the door level, so it can't be that.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Pull your carpet away from the firewall and I bet you find moister there. It likes to run down near the fuse box.

Your door sill plates just pull straight up and out, then you can pull the carpet back and dry underneath it.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What year is your Stang?

Quick Reply: Florida rain!