Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut the rotors or get new ones?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 PM
stanngg
2nd Gear Member

Default Cut the rotors or get new ones?

Ok...next question. New rotors or just cut existing. My fronts def have some minor grooves that should be able to be cut to spec. Backs are good, nice and smooth. I'm hearing even if rotors can be cut to spec they may be more susceptible to warping. Just spend the money on new rotors. New rotors $60 at Autozone, Midas will cut for $15.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Go with whatever you want but in milling the rotors they're not going to take a substancial amount off, just enough to restore performance.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Another question that will get different opinions. In the old days, it was common to get rotors turned. I have heard that now days the rotors are made so thin, to save weight, that there's not much there and they will be prone to warp.
If you decide you want to replace them, I had great luck with a premium rotor from Rock Auto called "Centric". They weren't terribly expensive and were very impressive. Personally, I'd put the money toward new ones rather than turning old ones. I'd also stay away from the cheapo Chinese rotors. Heard bad stuff about them.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:18 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

turn em
Old 01-20-2013, 05:44 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Another question that will get different opinions. In the old days, it was common to get rotors turned. I have heard that now days the rotors are made so thin, to save weight, that there's not much there and they will be prone to warp.
If you decide you want to replace them, I had great luck with a premium rotor from Rock Auto called "Centric". They weren't terribly expensive and were very impressive. Personally, I'd put the money toward new ones rather than turning old ones. I'd also stay away from the cheapo Chinese rotors. Heard bad stuff about them.
Are centric made in America? I was considering them for my wifes chrysler 300. We had her front rotors turned due to pulsating and now 1 year later they are doing it again.

OP, I'd get them turned, it's worth a shot.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 AM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

I've had bad luck with Autozone rotors (three different cars) as they warped within a year of use. I reccomend only doing OEM rotors or you can use Napa Ultra Premium rotors. Those were very nice and solid for 40k miles combined with Hawk pads (they came with painted the hubs too). For some reason though I have never gotten a set of aftermarket brakes to outlast the OEM ones. Not sure why.

As a rule I don't cut rotors anymore. When I replace my Steed's factory brakes I'll either do the GT brake upgrade or go with Napa and hawk again. Your choice but you don't have much to loose cutting your OEMs. Make sure you flush ALL the old brake fluid out too, a guy I met from stoptech told me a long time ago old fluid is 80% of why brake pedal feel degrades over time. New fluid works great I reccomend the Ford High Performance stuff from the dealer.

Hope this helps your decision.

Tom
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

If they can be turned, that's what I'd do
Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Are centric made in America? I was considering them for my wifes chrysler 300. We had her front rotors turned due to pulsating and now 1 year later they are doing it again.

OP, I'd get them turned, it's worth a shot.
Well Moose, I read your reply and did a little research. It seems NO aftermarket rotors/drums are any longer made in the US. They all are made in Tiwan/China. That being said, Centric rotors are manufactured and engineered to their own standards and meet QS and ISO quality standards. Centric rotors ARE machined in this country. A cool feature with Centric rotors is they are balanced to 2 oz per inch (whatever that means)and all non-friction surfaces have a black E-coating to prevent rust.
I wish they were made here, but I still believe they are higher quality than most all brake rotors. I guess the fact that they are machined here is a real plus.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Well Moose, I read your reply and did a little research. It seems NO aftermarket rotors/drums are any longer made in the US. They all are made in Tiwan/China. That being said, Centric rotors are manufactured and engineered to their own standards and meet QS and ISO quality standards. Centric rotors ARE machined in this country. A cool feature with Centric rotors is they are balanced to 2 oz per inch (whatever that means)and all non-friction surfaces have a black E-coating to prevent rust.
I wish they were made here, but I still believe they are higher quality than most all brake rotors. I guess the fact that they are machined here is a real plus.
Yep, I got the same results doing a google search and decided to buy the centric premium rotors. I liked that they were mill balanced and 100% machined. They can't be any worse than the oem rotors on her car.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:55 AM
zworld
1st Gear Member

I beleive I saw gt takeoffs on ebay for 30 bucks, thats a new gt rotor.

Quick Reply: Cut the rotors or get new ones?