Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something for CCW permit holders.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Default Something for CCW permit holders.

So I had been looking around for a good way to carry my pistol while driving. I found this saddle bag from Hide in Plain Sight Carry Systems (I'll put a link at the end). Anyway, on the drivers side it has a pouch you can either put an inside the waste band holster (which is what I did), or just mold it around the pistol. It has a few loops for some extra mags, light, whatever really. I put a multi tool and light on my drivers side. The other side of the bag has a medical pouch. I put in some stuff from my old IFAC (the medical pouch I carried when I was deployed), that way if I would need something in the event of a crash or something like that I would have it. I also put some extra mags on that side. Its a great system, I've been using it for a little bit now (I didn't want to post it till I had some time to test it). I like it a lot better than just carrying on my hip when I drive. Its much more comfortable, and if I actually had to use it, much easier to get to it. Also it can be used as a small go bag since it has the medical stuff on the other side. Here are the links:

http://www.hideinplainsightcarrysyst...&product_id=69

Here are some videos about the company, the bag, and how to use it.

http://hideinplainsightcarrysystems.com/videos

Also the whole bag is made in the USA (which to me is a perk), and they offer a military and law enforcement discount if you contact them for the code.

Just thought I'd share a good product with you guy!!

There are pictures on the website, and in case anyone is wondering I tried it out with a S&W M&P compact .45 and a full sized 1911.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Seems a bit too "in-the-open" for my taste. I'm still working on a few ideas where the weapon is readily accessible but out of plain view.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:04 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Seems a bit too "in-the-open" for my taste. I'm still working on a few ideas where the weapon is readily accessible but out of plain view.
Yeah its a "low vis" bag, so its not completely hidden. Thats why I never just leave it sitting in my car. If I'm going somewhere that I can't carry I lock it up in the glove box. If you have the flap up, you can't see anything from the side, you would almost have to be in the car, or have an extended mag that sticks out the back to see anything.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:57 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I agree that this is pretty open to being seen visibly readily. There are a few other solutions that offer close to the same accessibility without being nearly as visible.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
I agree that this is pretty open to being seen visibly readily. There are a few other solutions that offer close to the same accessibility without being nearly as visible.
I just liked that it wasn't just a holster that I strapped somewhere (which is what most of what I saw was), this at least covers the pistol. Yeah they see a bag but thats it, until you open the flap.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

I've seen a couple of solutions for the console and a mounting method for under the steering wheel.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

There are times you will have to leave it in the car. Any solution that doesnt have the weapon locked and out of sight.. is a bad one. Its just not worth it to have someone steal your weapon. Just having that visible is asking for the car to get broken into..even if you take the gun with you. Someone will see that and think there is something there. Just my opinion.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:04 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
There are times you will have to leave it in the car. Any solution that doesnt have the weapon locked and out of sight.. is a bad one. Its just not worth it to have someone steal your weapon. Just having that visible is asking for the car to get broken into..even if you take the gun with you. Someone will see that and think there is something there. Just my opinion.
Thats why I lock it up when I can't take it with me. But keeping it locked up while I'm driving makes it hard to get to if I need it.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Before I had the holster setup I use now, I would just put it in the cup holder muzzle down. The Sig P250 actually fits perfectly in there. The 1911 might be a little large and anything like a subcompact (thinking LCP or LC9 size) may be too small to be stable resting in there.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 AM
beerman616
1st Gear Member

It's a cool idea. I've been practicing drawing from the hip, and it's hard to draw fairly quick with my sidearm in my IWB holster, tucked in shirt, and the seatbelt in the way. Not to mention that I typically carry around the 4-5 o'clock position, so it's right by the buckle.

I've been looking for a good way to carry on long trips that's more accessible and comfortable. The center console works, but it's not the quickest to draw from either.

Quick Reply: Something for CCW permit holders.