Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question need help with my GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 PM
20binafd
1st Gear Member

Default Newbie question need help with my GT

I got my car in the fall, it came with CAI, cams, a cut and clamp x pipe, and axelbacks. I bought it from a dealer and it didn't come with a tuner. I assumed it had a proper tune but from reading a recent post about tuners, people "unmarry" tuners from their cars by setting them to the stock tune. Does my car most likely have a stock tune? I gassed it quite a bit before putting it away for the winter, is it bad for the engine to push it with my parts and a stock tune? Also I have no idea what kind of cams it has, and have no luck finding out from the previous owner; do i have to take off a cam cover to find out which cams it has? The speedo is running fast (because reset to stock probably) so I need to buy a tuner anyway, but should I invest in a tuner right away (still paying off car) or can I drive with the stock tune for now? Any help or suggestions is/are appreciated.

Last edited by 20binafd; 03-05-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 20binafd
I got my car in the fall, it came with CAI, cams, a cut and clamp x pipe, and axelbacks. I bought it from a dealer and it didn't come with a tuner. I assumed it had a proper tune but from reading a recent post about tuners, people "unmarry" tuners from their cars by setting them to the stock tune. Does my car most likely have a stock tune? I gassed it quite a bit before putting it away for the winter, is it bad for the engine to push it with my parts and a stock tune? Also I have no idea what kind of cams it has, and have no luck finding out from the previous owner; do i have to take off a cam cover to find out which cams it has? The speedo is running fast (because reset to stock probably) so I need to buy a tuner anyway, but should I invest in a tuner right away (still paying off car) or can I drive with the stock tune for now? Any help or help is appreciated.
most of the times a cam would require a tune, and sometimes depending on the brand a cai would require a tune. i would definitly get a tune whenever you can because you dont want your car running too lean or rich
Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

The K&N may or may not require a tune. It might drive ok, but I wouldn't hammer on it. Do yourself a favor and get it dyno tuned. Nothing is worth the reassurance that your car is running optimally.

Last edited by bakerjd; 03-05-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM
20binafd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
The K&N may or may not require a tune. It might drive ok, but I wouldn't hammer on it. Do yourself a favor and get it dyno tuned. Nothing is worth the reassurance that your car is running optimally.
I plan on getting headers at some point, I don't think a dyno tune would be worth it. Also dyno tunes are expensive, I don't have 600 to spend a dyno tune when I could buy an sct tuner for 200 less that also does the job.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I plan on getting headers at some point, I don't think a dyno tune would be worth it. Also dyno tunes are expensive, I don't have 600 to spend a dyno tune when I could buy an sct tuner for 200 less that also does the job.
You'll also have to purchase a tune. SCT tunes do not account for your mods nor do they supply a tune worth a crap. Granted that's still cheaper but it's night and day difference. Not my money so do what you will.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 PM
20binafd
1st Gear Member

Also it isn't giving any codes, don't cars give codes when they're running rich or lean?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:42 AM
20binafd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
You'll also have to purchase a tune. SCT tunes do not account for your mods nor do they supply a tune worth a crap. Granted that's still cheaper but it's night and day difference. Not my money so do what you will.
But doesn't Bama tailor a tune to work with mods. I understand its approximate but it's a lot more versatile, isn't it? If I got a dyno tune, then later installed headers, deleted my cats, wouldn't that tune then be off?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:06 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

But doesn't Bama tailor a tune to work with mods. I understand its approximate but it's a lot more versatile, isn't it? If I got a dyno tune, then later installed headers, deleted my cats, wouldn't that tune then be off?
Yes, but for $200, It sounds like you are buying a used tuner, it's another $50 each or $150 for the tunes for life program from Bama. In the end, you still need to have a tuner for dyno tunes also.
What BakerJD was getting at was that when you don't know the extent of the mods, only a Dyno tune (where they have air/fuel logging) will give you peace of mind that your tune is correct and safe. However, do your research on the existing mods and a bama tune (or any of the others) should get you pretty close to a great tune.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:40 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
when you don't know the extent of the mods, only a Dyno tune (where they have air/fuel logging) will give you peace of mind that your tune is correct and safe.
True that!
Normally I would not recommend a dyno tune for a n/a setup, but a baseline with the proper logging is required to insure accuracy.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 AM
20binafd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
...What BakerJD was getting at was that when you don't know the extent of the mods, only a Dyno tune (where they have air/fuel logging) will give you peace of mind that your tune is correct and safe. However, do your research on the existing mods and a bama tune (or any of the others) should get you pretty close to a great tune.
Ok so what other mods could my car have that I would need to know about before getting an accurate tune? Like delete plates? I guess what I need to know is what questions bama will ask me about mods before they email me a tune. I think I'll call them and ask.