Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM
silverstang23
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine Whine

I started to get a whine coming from my engine a few days ago. The sound is similar to a power steering whine when the fluid is low. I don't think it's related to power steering because the pitch does not change when the wheel is turned. Any ideas of what could be causing this sound? The car is an auto with all stock motor parts
Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

have you ruled out the accessory belt, maybe that is causing the noise.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 PM
silverstang23
2nd Gear Member

I haven't. It kind of sounds like it could possible be coming from a belt when you put your head under the hood. Is there a good way to check it? I put some belt spray on the car and that didn't do anything.

A little more information. I wouldn't really describe the sound as a squeak, it sounds like a mechanical whine

Last edited by silverstang23; 03-18-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:17 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Because you suspect belt-related noise, to locate the noise, you could remove the serpentine belt and start the car BRIEFLY. If the noise goes away, You know it is the belt or one of the belt-driven devices. If the noise continues, it is time to look somewhere else.

If the noise goes away, Check the belt-driven devices before replacing the belt. Check them for looseness up-and-down and side-to-side. Everything should spin smoothly and quietly. Make sure the pulleys are OK.

When you replace the belt, replace it with a new one otherwise you won't be able to tell if the belt was the problem.

If the noise continues with a new belt, a mechanic's stethoscope is a good way to re-check the bearings on the belt-driven equipment. Put the end of the input probe near of each of the bearings and listen for extra noise. Of course the crank pulley is not a suspect.

I hope this is useful.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by silverstang23
I started to get a whine coming from my engine a few days ago. The sound is similar to a power steering whine when the fluid is low. I don't think it's related to power steering because the pitch does not change when the wheel is turned. Any ideas of what could be causing this sound? The car is an auto with all stock motor parts
Hello silverstang23,

I recommend you have your vehicle diagnosed at your Ford dealer. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any assistance, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 AM
V8 VOL
2nd Gear Member

Alternator is going out and is not surprising.....go with PA Performance.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

Agree with V8 VOL - probably the alternator. Don't wait to replace it, because it will eventually leave you stranded. I barely made it home on battery power when mine died.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 PM
silverstang23
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by illini4
Agree with V8 VOL - probably the alternator. Don't wait to replace it, because it will eventually leave you stranded. I barely made it home on battery power when mine died.
My alternator died once already (before 30,000 miles). Is there a way to test the alternator? Is it normal to only get 20,000 miles out of an alternator?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 AM
V8 VOL
2nd Gear Member

Head out to a local auto parts store. Usually they can hook it up and test to make sure everything is working as it should.

I would seriously consider going with the PA Performance alternator (American Muscle has them). Its worth the upgrade and no more hassle.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Even if the alternator passes a load test, that doesn't rule out that it's on the verge of mechanical failure. Try to isolate the whine using a stethoscope or a simple cardboard tube from an empty roll of paper towels or wrapping paper. The OE alternators are garbage. PA Performance is the ticket.

Quick Reply: Engine Whine