Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
iamzatch
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ford Mustang v6 (soon!)
Default Adjusting to the Mustang's size?

Hey guys, I'm buying a Mustang v6 in a few months. I went on a test drive at my dealer this weekend, and I have some questions.

I'm coming from a tiny hyundai 4-door compact car.. getting in the mustang, it felt like a huuuuge car on the road. The windows seemed small, and the frame supports on the right and left side of the windshield seemed to really block my view.

Is it easy to adjust to the size of the car?

I didn't even dare park it in a parking spot because I couldn't tell how far I was away from the car in front of me. Now, I do have an eye condition which makes it difficult to see depth but this thing seemed massive on the road.

Going from a 98HP hyundai to a 305HP mustang was nuts though... wow is all I have to say about that.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
iamzatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: '11 5.0, '99 cobra vert #342, '03 Mach 1 #3838

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzatch View Post
Hey guys, I'm buying a Mustang v6 in a few months. I went on a test drive at my dealer this weekend, and I have some questions.

I'm coming from a tiny hyundai 4-door compact car.. getting in the mustang, it felt like a huuuuge car on the road. The windows seemed small, and the frame supports on the right and left side of the windshield seemed to really block my view.

Is it easy to adjust to the size of the car?

I didn't even dare park it in a parking spot because I couldn't tell how far I was away from the car in front of me. Now, I do have an eye condition which makes it difficult to see depth but this thing seemed massive on the road.

Going from a 98HP hyundai to a 305HP mustang was nuts though... wow is all I have to say about that.
well that doesnt seem safe... are you prescribed something for it?

And yes, it isnt hard to manage, i adjusted quickly and just got in and drove
2003 Mach 1 (torch red) #3838
1999 Cobra convertible #342
xx10Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
iamzatch
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ford Mustang v6 (soon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx10Gt View Post
well that doesnt seem safe... are you prescribed something for it?

And yes, it isnt hard to manage, i adjusted quickly and just got in and drove
Yes I wear glasses of course. I was born cross eyed and had surgery of some type which although fixed the cross eye problem, limited my ability for each eye to focus.

Essentially, I mainly look out of one eye and focus with one eye at a time, and the other eye sometimes floats around, or I can use it peripherally. So, only get focus from one eye, the other eye doesn't communicate with the brain, and thus no depth information. It's easy to drive once I know the vehicle, like my current car, I can park it just fine, but since I was in a new car it was difficult at first.
iamzatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 5.0

You'll be fine, the visibility becomes of limited issue after you spend some time in the car. I drove a Camry prior to the current mustang, and visibility is hugely better in the Camry, but after the first drive or two, the mustang didn't seem out of the ordinary at all. The convex blind-spot mirrors on either side mirror help to eliminate blind spots on your sides, and the back windshield (I even have the pedestal spoiler from the factory) allows for plenty of sight to see what's coming up behind you.

In terms of the hood out front, it just takes some adjustment and trial (preferably no error) when parking, etc. but again something that should definitely be easy to get used to. When pulling into parking spots, just imagine having closer to 5 feet extending in front of your car as opposed to probably 2.5 or 3 before.

My View on the Economy: www.cgeconomics.com
pdonket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 V6

You will get used to it. On the road I don't notice a size difference between my Mustang and my Celica I have been driving that last 15 years. Granted, I drive my wife's Explorer often and I am a manager in the transportation industry. I spend a lot of time driving tractor trailers.

So I might not be the best to answer the size thing.

The A pillars though, yeah, I have caught myself a time or three having a to stop because a car hid perfectly in them. That is exactly why you look left, right, left, right before you move.
Murgatroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

I actually went in the opposite direction; from an SUV to the Stang. The SUV remains my DD but getting into the Stang is always a pleasure. The adjustment occurs quickly.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Weather Man
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT

OP, ask your salesperson to take you to a lot with painted parking. Practice parking the car. If you really can't park it, consider hard if the mustang is the right car for you. Good luck with your purchase.

Weather Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
BrazenStang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT Convertible

Adjustment is easy and will happen. The new mustangs are big and heavy even compared to earlier gens. Getting seat time is the only way to master your new car. When parking, take your time and learn to use the mirrors. Don't just go by feel. Have fun and good luck!

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android

BrazenStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 GTHG Ford Mustang

The size and visibility of the new mustangs is on par with my 72 Mach1. Takes some getting use too. Another note sound like you have the same eye condition I do. I get bad headaches since my right eye does most of the work.
DocSnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzatch View Post
... I was born cross eyed and had surgery of some type which although fixed the cross eye problem, limited my ability for each eye to focus.

Essentially, I mainly look out of one eye and focus with one eye at a time, and the other eye sometimes floats around, or I can use it peripherally. So, only get focus from one eye, the other eye doesn't communicate with the brain, and thus no depth information...
No offense, OP but... ummmm... let me know if you'll be driving in Florida! LOL!

Just teasing you, bud.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement