Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future proofing daily driver for hard driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Default Future proofing daily driver for hard driving

I'll soon be purchasing a new 2014 v6 Mustang, of which I plan to daily drive. However, I also plan to drive it harder than a current car, and it may see the red-line everyday. Additionally, I want to occasionally bring it to the track just to unleash the power I cannot use on the regular road.

1. What can I do to future proof the engine and other components so a daily driver can be driven hard?
2. What are some fundamental absolutely necessary modifications to increase the enjoyment of tracking a car? (maybe brakes? tires?)

Does any one daily drive their stand but also drive it like its a ferrari?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:12 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Might want to save the money for when you inevitably have to pay the man. Sounds like you're gonna rack up the tickets quick.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by X3xMONGOOSEx3X
Might want to save the money for when you inevitably have to pay the man. Sounds like you're gonna rack up the tickets quick.
What the hell?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by X3xMONGOOSEx3X
not to thread jack but i noticed youre from Buffalo, NY. I live here also... just wondering what part of town
Old 06-09-2013, 10:46 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iamzatch
What the hell?
He means save your money to pay for the tickets you might get hitting redline everyday. Tires are a must.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by krazykevin
He means save your money to pay for the tickets you might get hitting redline everyday. Tires are a must.
Is hitting red-line against the law or something? Just because you red-line doesn't mean you are over the speed limit. Everyone around here drives 80-85 on I-25...
Old 06-09-2013, 10:52 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

What the hell?
Just messing with you man.

Other than proper engine maintenance I'm not sure how much you'd need to do to the stock 3.7L unless you're going to supercharge. On the interior you're probably going to want a seat that's going to keep you a little more planted. In terms of suspension you're probably going to want to take it to the track to see where the stock suspension is lacking and work from there.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
not to thread jack but i noticed youre from Buffalo, NY. I live here also... just wondering what part of town
Cheektowaga/Depew about ten minutes from the Walden Galleria.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Is hitting red-line against the law or something? Just because you red-line doesn't mean you are over the speed limit. Everyone around here drives 80-85 on I-25...
Excessive display of power however is generally against the law, which is exactly what hitting redline from stoplight to stoplight will be.

It is also a great way to destroy your engine in a short amount of time, regardless of the steps you take to protect it.

NOT redlining it would be one of those preventive steps you are asking about.

Tires, tranny and engine, in that order. Expect to replace them.

Just my two cents, you would be better off and safer in a Honda Civic like the rest of your friends drive back and forth to school. Will be cheaper on too at your age.

I am even doubly concerned after you have mentioned in a previous thread that you have vision issues and you are concerned about the size of the Mustang compared to your current Hyundai.

Please, just don't.

Last edited by Murgatroy; 06-10-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:57 AM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
Excessive display of power however is generally against the law, which is exactly what hitting redline from stoplight to stoplight will be.

It is also a great way to destroy your engine in a short amount of time, regardless of the steps you take to protect it.

NOT redlining it would be one of those preventive steps you are asking about.

Tires, tranny and engine, in that order. Expect to replace them.

Just my two cents, you would be better off and safer in a Honda Civic like the rest of your friends drive back and forth to school. Will be cheaper on too at your age.

I am even doubly concerned after you have mentioned in a previous thread that you have vision issues and you are concerned about the size of the Mustang compared to your current Hyundai.

Please, just don't.
Wow everyone in this community must have issues, including yourself.

First and foremost, I enjoy driving. Perhaps my wording was wrong, but I do not intend to red-line any vehicle at every single stop and go. That would be ridiculous. However, I do not intend to purchase a sports car to keep it under 3000rpm 24/7. Exploring the upper power-band is fun, and when done in a controlled manner can be completely safe.

Secondly, it is absurd of you to bring my personal health up in a topic about maintaining a car. My vision issues are merely limited to not being able to see depth, which increases the difficultly of tasks like parking. NOT driving in general. In my original post, my concern was with the physical size of the mustang and my ability to adjust my awareness of the size of the car, not about my concern of driving it.

This post was intended to seek information about potential modifications that can future proof my car for a lifetime of fun and intense driving. This doesn't mean red-lining it all the time, my wording was wrong. I wanted information on oils that would be better, or recommended suspension upgrades, or any parts on these cars that don't like being driven more aggressively than your grandma's buick. Clearly you, and/or this community, like to focus on the negative aspects and putting other people down.

I may be 19. But I don't know any 19 year olds who have the credit and the income to purchase a brand new mustang. And I certainly don't know any 19 year olds who would ask questions and plan ahead to the level that I have. Then again... I also don't have any friends who drive Honda Civics, because I never have and never will hang out with that crowd.

Quick Reply: Future proofing daily driver for hard driving