Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4:10s update

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 PM
mustang_gt808
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Lower control arms. The stock ones are a little weak and can lead to wheel hop. It's hard to describe wheel hop...it's a horrible shudder from the back end when you break traction. Its not good for the car.

Just about any aftermarket set you pickup will be far betterthan the stock Ford ones. If you have some decent tools and are somewhat handy, you can do them yourself but otherwise you might want to see if the folks who did your gears can do LCA installs too.
Ok thank u yes I was thinking of that thank u
Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I ordered the BBK set. Should be here tomorrow. Haven't looked into the install much, but seems pretty straightforward. One question I have, looking under the car, looks like the ebrake cable, or possibly a brake line goes through my stock control arm. Which one is it? (I would know as soon as I took the tire off but I'm curious).
Old 06-18-2013, 08:23 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CPTCO
I ordered the BBK set. Should be here tomorrow. Haven't looked into the install much, but seems pretty straightforward. One question I have, looking under the car, looks like the ebrake cable, or possibly a brake line goes through my stock control arm. Which one is it? (I would know as soon as I took the tire off but I'm curious).
Its the ebrake cable.

When you do the change, you can zip tie the cable to the new LCA if you want. I never did. Also, I'd highly recommend that you have a small come along or heavier ratcheting strap. When I replaced mine, I did one side at a time. You can connect the strap or come along to the axle and pull it into place a lot easier than trying to man handle the axle and slide those bolts into place

Last edited by wcgman; 06-18-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

That's what I figured. Bu narrows the install time considerably.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 PM
F350-6

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm kind of new to playing with a pony. I looked at the American muscle link and the LCA looks to be just a short traction bar. It describes the weak link in the stock set up as soft bushings.

Is there a reason you have to replace the entire tube and not just swap out the bushings instead? Does Energy Suspension or someone make a better bushing that can just be installed in the stock control arms?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

So the stock control arm will flex. It's just stamped steel. The tube LCAs will make things a whole lot stiffer. The bushings are just to reduce vibration noise, etc. that's my thought anyway.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

So the stock control arm will flex. It's just stamped steel. The tube LCAs will make things a whole lot stiffer. The bushings are just to reduce vibration noise, etc. that's my thought anyway.
The bushings are to reduce deflection, the main cause of wheel hop. The Stock bushings aren't the same quality as an aftermarket set and the rubber bushings aide in deflection from the factory. Aftermarket LCAs have upgraded bushings or spherical rod ends that minimize deflection. That is primarily why they reduce wheel hop.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Gotcha. I'm learning too. So would changing bushings be a possibility?

Last edited by CPTCO; 06-18-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-19-2013, 08:41 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mustang_gt808
my car feels like its on a supercharger by far that the biggest difference installing 4:10s to my car my car pulls like crazy hard! I'm so wondering what im gonna hit in the quarter mile and my trap speed! thank you american muscle now whats next to add to hit mid to high 12s
You're welcome! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your 4.10 Gears, they're definitely one of the most beneficial mods you can do to a Mustang.

Keep up the great work and have fun at the track. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future!

-Dan
Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 PM
F350-6

If they are just stamped steel, I can see that being an issue. I'll have to take a look when time permits. Has anyone looked at or tried just welding stiffeners on the stamped steel arms to reduce flex?

Originally Posted by bakerjd
The bushings are to reduce deflection, the main cause of wheel hop. The Stock bushings aren't the same quality as an aftermarket set and the rubber bushings aide in deflection from the factory. Aftermarket LCAs have upgraded bushings or spherical rod ends that minimize deflection. That is primarily why they reduce wheel hop.
So are aftermarket, upgraded bushings available for the stock arms? If so, are there preferred manufacturer's for them?

Quick Reply: 4:10s update