Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
SonicBlue08

Vehicle: 2008 GT Premium
Default Noisy T-3650

Do these things have a reputation for being obnoxiously loud and noisy? With my car being bought used with 50k miles on it I wonder sometimes if this is a result from being beat on or if this is normal. Maybe I was expecting something quieter as this is my first manual but going from first to second is usually loud as hell with all the clanking and clunking and sometimes I can feel something catch as the shift does not go in easily and there is an extreme vibration in the handle, sometimes I can feel something grinding, I don't hear it but I can feel it. All the other shift are usually effortless, but 1-2 can be horrible sometimes. A shot synchro maybe?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Diablosport Predator 93
C&L Racer Intake
3.31's
SonicBlue08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT/CS

Was going through your symptoms list saying "normal, normal, normal..." until I got to the "extreme vibration " part. That shouldn't be there. Hard to diagnose over the web, maybe take it to your local dealer or trusted mechanic? What part of Bama are you in?
FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Carbon Clutch Packs, JLT Series III Intake, Bama 93R Tune, Summit Racing O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers, Eibach Pro Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, GT500 Spoiler, Tinted turn signals and side markers, black vinyl decklid wrap, SHR CS Grill Insert, LED Reverse Lights
Rocket254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
SonicBlue08

I live 30 minutes north east of Auburn and yes I am going to take it in along with the power steering issue to be looked at. Was just curious if anybody had experienced anything like this.

Diablosport Predator 93
C&L Racer Intake
3.31's
Old 06-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT Premium, 5 Speed

Nope ..I have none of these..!!
B326 (5.3L)Forged Stroker, FRPP CNC Ported Heads,Borla,Kooks LT,1pc Alum DS,4:10Gears,UCA/LCA,Eibach Pro,Tokico, HD Strut Mounts,Bumpsteer kit,PanHard Bar+Brace,HD Sway Bars+End Links,Deep Dish Bullitts,Nitto,HotRod Cams,Autometer Gauges,FRPP 62mm Throttle Body,Whipple-HO Intercooled SC,15 PSI,GT500 Dual Fuel Pumps,Mcleod RXT Twin Disk Clutch,Steeda 10 Rib Belt Drive Syst, Moroso 7qt pan
685 RWHP/699 RWTQ Mustang Dyno
07 GT E UPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt

Change the fluid to royal purple synchromax. any clunking is probably the drive shaft. The stock 2 piece drive shaft clunks a lot, but absorbs lots of engine vibration/rear end vibration.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Redfire GT Vert

I hear a good bit of noise in mine as well. Nothing worrying, but I can hear the synchros when I downshift and such. It's made me stop downshifting as much since I can hear them working. I second the suggestion of changing the fluid. Should quiet it down a little and smooth it out. Also moosestang is right. Clunking is probably the driveshaft if you mean as you let the clutch out, unless you mean the actual shift is noisy, and to that I say my MGW makes a very solid clunk when throwing from gear to gear, but in a good way.

Out of the manuals of owned, my 97's T45, my Cobra's T56, and my 98 Accord's whatever the hell it is, the T56 was probably the loudest with the 3650 behind it. My Accord is silent and I don't recall the T45 being noisy at all.
1997 Mustang GT - GONE!
AJ06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
SonicBlue08

Yea that answers my question as to why it's so noisy and clunky when I push in on the clutch, especially when I jump on it, and I'll change the fluid to what you both recommended. Now I just have to figure out why 1-2 can be so horrid sometimes. It seems if I don't change to second extremely slow or fast, something snags and the shift becomes anything but smooth. I'll see what Ford has to say when I take it in.

Diablosport Predator 93
C&L Racer Intake
3.31's
Old 06-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

The S197 stock drivelines are about the clunkiest I've ever owned. A 1 piece DS and a change to Amsoil or RP will do wonders.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
SonicBlue08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
The S197 stock drivelines are about the clunkiest I've ever owned.
Yea that brings me some peace of mind knowing that as you and the others have stated.

Diablosport Predator 93
C&L Racer Intake
3.31's
Old 06-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Vehicle: Mustangs
facebook.com/FordMustang @FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlue08 View Post
Do these things have a reputation for being obnoxiously loud and noisy? With my car being bought used with 50k miles on it I wonder sometimes if this is a result from being beat on or if this is normal. Maybe I was expecting something quieter as this is my first manual but going from first to second is usually loud as hell with all the clanking and clunking and sometimes I can feel something catch as the shift does not go in easily and there is an extreme vibration in the handle, sometimes I can feel something grinding, I don't hear it but I can feel it. All the other shift are usually effortless, but 1-2 can be horrible sometimes. A shot synchro maybe?
I agree with you bringing it in to your Ford dealer and have it looked at, SonicBlue08. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any assistance, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:48 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement