Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Hajimu

Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang
Default Advice on tuning for a novice

I am a relatively new mustang owner, and am looking for ways to improve its performance. I have a 2007 stock mustang manual transmission v6. I am not looking to dive into replacing the drive train/major engine work, etc. (after all it is my daily driver and get me to work car) I just want to start simple and work my way up- in order to get a better feel for the car, and learn how to work on cars in general. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Hajimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013, Ford Mustang, 5.0 GT Premium California Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajimu View Post
I am a relatively new mustang owner, and am looking for ways to improve its performance. I have a 2007 stock mustang manual transmission v6. I am not looking to dive into replacing the drive train/major engine work, etc. (after all it is my daily driver and get me to work car) I just want to start simple and work my way up- in order to get a better feel for the car, and learn how to work on cars in general. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Cold Air Intake/SCT Tuner Combo Works wonders, really wakes the car up.

Catback/Axleback System gives increase in airflow and also makes the car sound more manly than the V6 does stock.

Headers, Long tubes for power, shorties for stock H Pipe and bonus sound.

New throttle body, Increase in air flow.

Just some basic bolt ons.
2013 Sterling Gray GT/CS - |MGW Short Throw Shifter||Steeda 101mm Intake||Pype 3" Off-Road X-Pipe||Borla Atak AxleBack System||3.73 Gears|| Resonator Delete || SR Performance Hydraulic Clutch Line||93 Octane Bama Race Tune||Black GT/CS Rims|| Black 5.0's||30% Tint All The Way Around|

#805/2998 2013 GT/CS.
1/397 Sterling Grey

FivePointToTheOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT

I'm sure one of the sponsors here has a V-6 cold air kit and tune package. Start with that.
SpartaPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Check out Brenspeed or American Muscle for tuning and CAI options. I dont know how much difference it will make on a v6 but on my v8 it improved my ET's from 13.90 to 13.43....... in other words, worth every penny!!

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, DSS DS, BMR Loop, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, GT500 Spoiler, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2011 NHRA Sportsman Class Hawaii State Champion
12.23 @ 113 mph

04 Black SRT/10 Vipertruck....4.88's and all the other good stuff
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 GT500 07 GT vert

Gears? Did anybody mention those?

wcgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Scratch the TB unless you intend to stroke and bore or go FI.

+1 on the CAI & custom tune for the best 1st mod.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Hajimu

So I looked up after market throttle bodies and only found a bbk 70mm for sale. Does this mean that the stock throttle body is good enough, or is it just because its a v6 and not sporty enough to have more after market parts?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 White Mustang

Wait, let me make a suggestion, haha. Get this CAI with the tuner and then
. Aftermarket TBs get stuck and are of poor quality, this one is just a stock TB that has been bored out and polished smooth for better airflow. It really is a worthwhile mod that most people overlook. I think it would be perfect to do that at the same time as a CAI and tune. Just make sure to mention in the online tune thing that you have that new TB.

2006 Mustang V6 PP | C&L CAI | Bama 93 race tune | 14" Shorty Antenna | Eagle GTs | 18" stripe
GT/CS Front Bumper | Bullit Grille | Hawk HPS pads| Slotted and Drilled Rotors | Strano Swaybars
Prothane Motor Mounts | MMD Hood Struts | 55w 5000K HIDs | Poly Bushings

There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark.
MustangFirstCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

The stock TB's on these engines can handle more air than your stock or slightly modified engine can inhale. Aftermarket TB's on these cars not only do nothing for performance improvement (unless you're FI and/or have other internal mods that flow a lot more air), they've been known to be problematic. The best bang for your buck short of going FI is a CAI & tune. Additionally, other mods will require that you have the handheld in order that you can make the adjustment or have your tuner do the programming for you. American Muscle's (BAMA) tunes include free updates for life.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
Hajimu

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I am going with the CAI/Tuner kit, and eventually replacing the rear axle with the GT axle.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:19 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement