Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into LT Headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Default Looking into LT Headers

Currently looking into a set of LT Headers. Have a few questions. Firstly, I've heard that 1 7/8' Headers are more for FI Applications, and 1 3/4' are for N/A. I plan to go FI in the future, Not necessarily near, but within the next year or two. That being said, would it be ok for me to purchase the 1 7/8' headers now, rather than purchase two sets of headers in the long run.

Second question. If I should wait to purchase 1 7/8' Headers, I'm looking at buying these Pypes for a "short Term replacement" Until I go FI. I Currently have installed a Pypes Off Road X Pipe , Now my question is, Would removing the "catalytic converter deletes" from my current O/R X pipe allow me to use the previously mentioned Headers? Or Would I have to purchase a shorty X-pipe?

Only ask because I see little to no difference in between the Shorty X-pipe and my X-pipe minus the Cat Deletes.

Thanks for the Input in advance!

Last edited by FivePointToTheOh; 08-27-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:53 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

When you buy headers they come with a matching midpipe. Your current one is not needed. As far as the size difference. Call Brenspeed and ask them. Brent has a Roush blower on his fiveOh with all the trimmings. They have always steered me into the right direction.

Installing headers is such a joy you do NOT want to do it twice. LOL
Old 08-28-2013, 03:05 AM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
When you buy headers they come with a matching midpipe. Your current one is not needed. As far as the size difference. Call Brenspeed and ask them. Brent has a Roush blower on his fiveOh with all the trimmings. They have always steered me into the right direction.

Installing headers is such a joy you do NOT want to do it twice. LOL
They CAN come with a matching mid pipe, but I can get them cheaper eithout the mid pipe, and I'd like to do that if possible. However I'll give Brenspeed a call and see what they have to say. Thanks. Hmm really? I've only heard such glorious words about the fun of install ; p

Last edited by FivePointToTheOh; 08-28-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:05 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

If you think you will go FI down the road, why buy headers twice? I'd say just get some good 1 7/8" headers now, at worst you might lose a little bottom end but you'll probably gain some at the top too, and they can't be worse than the factory manifolds. I remember people talking about the same thing with the old 5.0's as far as whether or not to get 1 1/2" primaries or 1 5/8".

As for the X pipe...well, that all depends on if pypes uses the same ball & socket flange design on their collectors as what the factory uses. If not, then you won't be able to hook them up regardless because the flanges won't mate up.

Last edited by ghunt; 08-28-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 AM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
If you think you will go FI down the road, why buy headers twice? I'd say just get some good 1 7/8" headers now, at worst you might lose a little bottom end but you'll probably gain some at the top too, and they can't be worse than the factory manifolds. I remember people talking about the same thing with the old 5.0's as far as whether or not to get 1 1/2" primaries or 1 5/8".

As for the X pipe...well, that all depends on if pypes uses the same ball & socket flange design on their collectors as what the factory uses. If not, then you won't be able to hook them up regardless because the flanges won't mate up.
All great points. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 AM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointToTheOh
Currently looking into a set of LT Headers. Have a few questions. Firstly, I've heard that 1 7/8' Headers are more for FI Applications, and 1 3/4' are for N/A. I plan to go FI in the future, Not necessarily near, but within the next year or two. That being said, would it be ok for me to purchase the 1 7/8' headers now, rather than purchase two sets of headers in the long run.

Second question. If I should wait to purchase 1 7/8' Headers, I'm looking at buying these Pypes for a "short Term replacement" Until I go FI. I Currently have installed a Pypes Off Road X Pipe , Now my question is, Would removing the "catalytic converter deletes" from my current O/R X pipe allow me to use the previously mentioned Headers? Or Would I have to purchase a shorty X-pipe?

Only ask because I see little to no difference in between the Shorty X-pipe and my X-pipe minus the Cat Deletes.

Thanks for the Input in advance!
You're asking all the right questions. The 1 7/8" headers are definitely for a forced induction application or a pretty heavily modded N/A setup. You'll be fine with those in the meantime until you are supercharged. There's a very tiny amount of torque loss, but not incredibly noticeable or something that can be tweaked in throttle response and VCT to get you most of that low-end grunt back.

They'll make tons of top-end power and you'll be really happy that you went with the bigger primaries once you've installed the supercharger.

I think the Kooks 1 7/8" Headers are the best option on the market for the Coyote in terms of performance and quality. They're all T304 Stainless Steel with 3/8" thick CNC laser-cut and nickel-plated flanges. They have exclusive firecone collectors and fit like a glove. I've installed them on tons of Mustangs and owned a Mustang with them on and it was worth every penny.

Check out the video:

As for working with your current off-road X-Pipe and trying to pair it with the Pypes Long-Tubes, it can be done, but it will require a little bit of modification at an exhaust shop. It's almost not worth it, honestly. You'd spend the same amount as you would just pairing it up with the proper shorty x-pipe. I know they look identical, but you'll run into small length and angle differences that will require some fabrication to get fitment right.

Hopefully this helps! Hit me up if you have absolutely any questions at all. Either way, it sounds like you're on the right track to build a pretty sick car!

Chris
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 AM
KOOKS Headers
Former Sponsor

Chris said it spot on for the sizing. Which ever size you choose consider our new GREEN X or H-Pipes. You get our best flowing cat and it is 49 state EPA certified. Several NMRA racers even running the GREEN cats on their racecars! Good luck with your build!

Last edited by KOOKS Headers; 08-30-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
You're asking all the right questions. The 1 7/8" headers are definitely for a forced induction application or a pretty heavily modded N/A setup. You'll be fine with those in the meantime until you are supercharged. There's a very tiny amount of torque loss, but not incredibly noticeable or something that can be tweaked in throttle response and VCT to get you most of that low-end grunt back.

They'll make tons of top-end power and you'll be really happy that you went with the bigger primaries once you've installed the supercharger.

I think the Kooks 1 7/8" Headers are the best option on the market for the Coyote in terms of performance and quality. They're all T304 Stainless Steel with 3/8" thick CNC laser-cut and nickel-plated flanges. They have exclusive firecone collectors and fit like a glove. I've installed them on tons of Mustangs and owned a Mustang with them on and it was worth every penny.

Check out the video:

Mustang Kooks Long Tube Headers 1-7/8in (11-13 GT) Review - YouTube

As for working with your current off-road X-Pipe and trying to pair it with the Pypes Long-Tubes, it can be done, but it will require a little bit of modification at an exhaust shop. It's almost not worth it, honestly. You'd spend the same amount as you would just pairing it up with the proper shorty x-pipe. I know they look identical, but you'll run into small length and angle differences that will require some fabrication to get fitment right.

Hopefully this helps! Hit me up if you have absolutely any questions at all. Either way, it sounds like you're on the right track to build a pretty sick car!

Chris
Thanks for the response Chris! I've honestly been looking into kooks since day one. However the child came out in me with the "I want it now not later" and I started. Looking at cheaper options. However, I believe your right, I'm going to give it another month and go with the kooks. Thanks again for the response and help!

Originally Posted by KOOKS Headers
Chris said it spot on for the sizing. Which ever size you choose consider our new GREEN X or H-Pipes. You get our best flowing cat and it is 49 state EPA certified. Several NMRA racers even running the GREEN cats on their racecars! Good luck with your build!
Hmm hadn't heard of the Green Cats, I personally love the sound of a O/R pipes and live in an area without emissions, but ill keep that in the back of my mind.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointToTheOh
Thanks for the response Chris! I've honestly been looking into kooks since day one. However the child came out in me with the "I want it now not later" and I started. Looking at cheaper options. However, I believe your right, I'm going to give it another month and go with the kooks. Thanks again for the response and help!
Haha, believe me I know. It's easy to jump the gun shopping for mods. I've done it so many times in the past. I think you'll be really happy if you wait this one out, though.

Hit up AMDanBailer or AMShaneLesky when you're ready and they'll shoot you the forums discount and make sure we hook you up with some free swag!

Chris
Old 08-30-2013, 01:39 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
Haha, believe me I know. It's easy to jump the gun shopping for mods. I've done it so many times in the past. I think you'll be really happy if you wait this one out, though.

Hit up AMDanBailer or AMShaneLesky when you're ready and they'll shoot you the forums discount and make sure we hook you up with some free swag!

Chris
Could always use some free swag! I'll be sure to do so. Thanks again Chris.