Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
mach1na
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang w/Pony Package
Default Pypes Bombs Axle Back Exhaust = Great Sound. HORRIBLE Fitment

So my pypes bombs axle back exhaust finally arrived this morning and I headed over to the shop to have them installed. Normally, this wouldn't take any longer than about 30 minutes but there were some major fitment issues with the exhaust. I had read about them previously before purchasing but I wasn't anticipating it to be THAT bad. It's almost as if they weren't even designed for the car, barely fitting into the cutouts and rubbing heavily on the side of it.

We tried a few things to try and make it work but just ended up cutting and rewelding the hangars. It got the exhaust better aligned with the cutouts but the driver side sticks out a tad more than the passenger side. Hardly noticeable but if you're looking for it, you can definitely tell.

Aside from that headache, the sound is a major improvement over the stock exhaust, which I was surprised to see was very very quiet. (I have a '12, I feel like my '06 was louder stock and that only had a single muffler). My first impression was it sounded a bit like a fart can exhaust but getting on it changed my mind about that! I'm sure it will sound even better once it gets broken in and I get some headers and intake. Here's a couple pics. I'll try to get a video up ASAP.

Oh yeah! On the way home, I ran into an SS Camaro on the main strip. We exchanged a few pleasantries and since no one was around, we decided to have a little fun. I was surprised that I was able to keep up with him, never falling behind more than his rear quarter panel. Could've just been the driver but when we met at the next light, he complimented the sound of my exhaust but added "Doesn't drive as good as it sounds tho!" lol

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

2006 Mustang w/PP | Dual GT-Takeoffs | Hurst STS | SS Speed Grille | Ford Hood Scoop | 3DC Chin | 1/4 Window Louvers | Xenon Side Scoops | CDC Ducktail | Coming: CDC Blackout Panel | Rally Stripes | GT500 Rear Bumper | Rear Window Louvers

Help a brother out and subscribe to my YouTube fitness channel! --> youtube.com/EYBFitness

Last edited by mach1na; 09-14-2013 at 12:22 AM.
mach1na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

I am to assume you have a v6 otherwise that SS would be way behind you. Are you sure you were sent the correct parts? Exhaust parts never seem to fit exactly perfect but they should be somewhat close. Getting the hangers rewelded is a lot of effort that you shouldnt have to do.

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2011 NHRA Sportsman Class Hawaii State Champion
12.23 @ 113 mph
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 4.6 gt with red leather

wtf.
they stick out to far dude.
me no likey
Old 09-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

i have the same problem, you're not the only one. I had a muffler shop do it since i needed some welding from my previous axle back. Then me and my mechanic spend a good 30 mins to try to line them up, i still can't get em perfect and they stick out too far. They are one of the best sounding exhaust on the planet though lol . I get compliments from everyone, they say my car sounds angry and hungry ROFL
Steven Bannoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 10GTManualPremium

I have a set on my 4-6. po put them on. the right one is just turned, but they sound really good. Im going to try and adjust it one day.
Yellow fogs, LED map & tag lamps, Tinted makers & tails, MMD Hood Struts, 2-1/8" "Cue Ball" Shift Knob, Sickspeed 401a jamnut, SR Performance Springs, Pypes Cat-back w/ Magnaflows, Bama Tuned. Dang, I work for a GM dealer!

2003 SRT-4 Stage 3
Up to 26psi boost. Fast!

PowerMix 2K1 <<Slammin Tunes!
Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 GTHG Ford Mustang

See this a lot with their exhaust, they are cheap bang for you buck with added pain because they never fit right. Really get what you pay for with their systems, stay out of the rain cause they will rust up fast too.
DocSnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
mach1na
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I figured I'd keep these on until I put enough money away for the Borla ATAKS (really like the sound of those and haven't heard of any fitment issues). They are in fact the right part number, I double checked. Just seems that Pypes aren't known for exact fitment but the sound is pretty awesome for the price like others have said. And yes, the Camaro was an SS. The driver looked like Ben Rothlisberger lol

Wish the tips didn't stick out as far as they do but I can live with it until I get a new exhaust. I was also planning to get some long tube headers next. Can anyone tell me if I need anything else for them to be compatible with my current set up? (Everything else is stock aside from the exhaust. I was going to go with the BBK Long tube headers)

2006 Mustang w/PP | Dual GT-Takeoffs | Hurst STS | SS Speed Grille | Ford Hood Scoop | 3DC Chin | 1/4 Window Louvers | Xenon Side Scoops | CDC Ducktail | Coming: CDC Blackout Panel | Rally Stripes | GT500 Rear Bumper | Rear Window Louvers

Help a brother out and subscribe to my YouTube fitness channel! --> youtube.com/EYBFitness
Old 09-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
mach1na
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Bannoura View Post
i have the same problem, you're not the only one. I had a muffler shop do it since i needed some welding from my previous axle back. Then me and my mechanic spend a good 30 mins to try to line them up, i still can't get em perfect and they stick out too far. They are one of the best sounding exhaust on the planet though lol . I get compliments from everyone, they say my car sounds angry and hungry ROFL
yeah, at WOT it sounds like you're about to rip through the ozone layer lol

Old 09-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 GTHG Ford Mustang

With longtube headers you will need a shorty midpipe the stock one will not fit right.
DocSnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 Ford Mustang GT
DLAzrael43 DLAzrael
Send a message via AIM to dlazrael Send a message via Yahoo to dlazrael

I've got the violators and had some fitment issues, i rotated the midpipe to muffler section to get it lined up right.
Go Fast Parts: 2.3L W140AX FRPP Whipple 550 HO Supercharger, PCV Delete, Pypes Violators Axleback, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm Polished TB
Suspension: Steeda: Front/Rear Sways, Sport Springs, Pro-Action S/S, Chromoly LCA, Chromoly UCA, GT500 Strut Mounts
Driveline:Steeda Tri-Ax, DSS 4" Aluminum DS
Show:GT500 Spoiler, GT500 Chinstrap (awaiting install), GTS-IV Hood
dlazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:43 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement