Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Pass Emissions Without Cats

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:01 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Well I'm not gonna get it done there now, I'm gonna head over to Blanco County. It was at one of those quick lube places I used to work at.
Unfortunately, the problem with going to Blanco County, an "attainment" county, is they will turn you down and tell you to go to a "non-attainment" county to do a shiff test.
The DPS requires this, and your DMV sticker (license plate sticker) will have "Travis" written on on it.

Since Travis, Williamson, Bexar, Dallas, Tarrant, Harris, El Paso, and several more counties are all "non-attainment," the inspector will tell you to go to one of these counties because of the Texas law.

The only way to bypass a sniff test is to re-register your car in an "attainment" county, like Hays, for example, and do an inspection there.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:13 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
I've decided to just register the car in a neighboring county that doesn't do emissions to save me the headache. Only other thing I know that would definitely work is changing the bias on the rear O2.
My bad, I didn't see this post.

Just a bit of advice: Don't re-register your car in Hays County. The population is growing so quickly there and the number of cars registered there is skyrocketing. It will not be long before the highway departments (USDOT and TXDOT) get an order from the US EPA and/or the TCEQ to do an air quality test, and when they do, it will be declared non-attainment.

Bastrop County is not looking too good either because just like Hays and Williamson Counties, urban sprawl has spread into Bastrop also.

I would look west of Travis County or look at a county that is beyond Austin's urban sprawl. That way you are not at risk of your new county being declared "non-attainment" right after you re-register your car there.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:53 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
My bad, I didn't see this post.

Just a bit of advice: Don't re-register your car in Hays County. The population is growing so quickly there and the number of cars registered there is skyrocketing. It will not be long before the highway departments (USDOT and TXDOT) get an order from the US EPA and/or the TCEQ to do an air quality test, and when they do, it will be declared non-attainment.

Bastrop County is not looking too good either because just like Hays and Williamson Counties, urban sprawl has spread into Bastrop also.

I would look west of Travis County or look at a county that is beyond Austin's urban sprawl. That way you are not at risk of your new county being declared "non-attainment" right after you re-register your car there.
That's some good advice. I actually have a friend with a turbo'd Roush who lives in Belton who wouldn' mind if I used his address. Bell county can't be too booming compared to what's between here and San Antonio. Thanks man.

Last edited by whosniffedme; 10-20-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: typo