Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
This Is New To Me

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang
Default trouble filling up gas tank

I have a 2005 Ford mustang GT. I bought this car used and since I could remember always had a problem filling up on gas. I took it to the shop and got the fuel tank replace. The part alone ran me over $1300! The mechanic told me it will have the same trouble the first couple of times when I try to fill the tank, but the problem will eventually go away itís been almost a month and the problem still exist and now I have empty pockets because of this. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I am going to take it back tomorrow morning but I don't want to get hustle out any more money.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
This Is New To Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

There's a TSB on it but it's a chronic problem and even the TSB fix has been known to not always solve the problem. It has to do with the saddle tank design.

Try any combination of: 1) slowing the delivery rate at the pump 2) turning the pump handle anywhere from 45 degrees to 180 degrees 3) using a different pump and/or different station 4) stand on your head, spit nickles and hum "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy"
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
There's a TSB on it but it's a chronic problem and even the TSB fix has been known to not always solve the problem. It has to do with the saddle tank design.

Try any combination of: 1) slowing the delivery rate at the pump 2) turning the pump handle anywhere from 45 degrees to 180 degrees 3) using a different pump and/or different station 4) stand on your head, spit nickles and hum "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy"
The upside down trick does it for me every time!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
2007CalSpec
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post

I can tell you #4 doesn't work. I've tried it.

Whipple HO w/Steeda belt drive system @ 12psi. Future mods for 700HP goal: Moser axles, Detroit Truetrac, T-56 Magnum XL 6-speed, Brenspeed B326
2007CalSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
danzcool
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT

Probably not your problem, but I had an issue after going with Fore fuel system, where the crossover tube between the saddles got kinked and the passenger side saddle wouldn't fill.

danzcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
GTgirlCA

Vehicle: 06 GT Convertible

I had the same problem with my 06 straight off the showroom floor. #4 is the only thing that ever really made any difference.
Every time I ever took it back to the dealership, they could "never get it to repeat the problem" so they did nothing about it.
Eventually it stopped doing it, about 4 - 6 months after purchase date.
I was told by a friend who was a mechanic at a different Ford dealership that it was an issue with air being released back out of the tank, (same idea as the hole in a gas can when pouring it).
I hate to say, but I think you wasted your money buying a new tank. I have also read on this forum that it is a common problem. It also sounds like no one has found a real solution to the problem either.
I couldn't help but read your post to see what suggestions you received, and #4 about nails it.
I advise you to wait it out for a while. Try not using to hold lever and holding the trigger yourself on a very slow flow, I know how frustrating this is and can only wish you, Good Luck!!
GTgirlCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Rudolph Hucker
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 4.6 gt with red leather

mine does it aswell
dont put the nozzle all the way in
have it half way in and twist it
works for me everytime
Old 10-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang

This drives me absolutely crazy on my car, some gas stations it is fine with no problems but others i give up because none of these techniques work and i just drive away with whatever i can get into it, when i screw around gas usually ends up pouring out and overflowing even if the tank isn't full.. My gas tank was replaced under warranty a few years ago for this issue and because the gauge would go to empty randomly.

2006 Mustang Pony Package
-GT/CS Front and Rear bumpers
-20" Shelby gunmetal razor rims-255/35/20 Falken FK452's (stock bullitts with blizzaks- winter setup)
-Custom dual exhaust with stock GT mufflers
-Roush rear lowering springs- J&M LCA's
-6000k HID's headlights from retrosolutions
-GT500 spoiler
-35% tint all windows
-Sequential taillights from american muscle
SLVRSTNG06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

What Rudolph said also about putting the nozzle only about half way in. I forgot that one. I was probably too busy humming Yankee Doodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec View Post
I can tell you #4 doesn't work. I've tried it.
Try a different key and tempo.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #10
Primo23

Vehicle: 2005 ford mustang

Yup I do the slow/click dance with the pump too. Turning it always helps though. Thanks for the advice on not replacing the tank itself.
Primo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement