Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded coolant leak, AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Is there a By-Pass line from the Water Pump in the V area? Since we have different engines and platforms, I'm not sure if Ford ran them the same way. You'll get it fixed. it's just the aggravation that makes it a pain to deal with.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03gt04mach1
Is there a By-Pass line from the Water Pump in the V area? Since we have different engines and platforms, I'm not sure if Ford ran them the same way. You'll get it fixed. it's just the aggravation that makes it a pain to deal with.
Not that I am aware of. All hoses are dry on the TB and water pump.
Thanks!
Old 11-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There was a thread yesterday in the 4.0 section for an attempt at a group buy of the aluminum t-stat housing. If that pans out, I'm picking one up just in case, for the wifes Pony.

Here it is: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...ml#post8304797
Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
There was a thread yesterday in the 4.0 section for an attempt at a group buy of the aluminum t-stat housing. If that pans out, I'm picking one up just in case, for the wifes Pony.

Here it is: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...ml#post8304797
Smart move! Group price is a steal!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:52 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

I have a mysterious little leak too, but no drips anywhere. Can smell the coolant after a long drive and every once in a while at a stop light there will be a wisp of steam. I have checked everything, hoses, etc. and they are good. Holds pressure too. Going to take the fan out and check the radiator for a micro-pinhole somewhere, only thing I can think of, left to do. Anybody ever epoxy an aluminum radiator before?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:05 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpplaw
I have a mysterious little leak too, but no drips anywhere. Can smell the coolant after a long drive and every once in a while at a stop light there will be a wisp of steam. I have checked everything, hoses, etc. and they are good. Holds pressure too. Going to take the fan out and check the radiator for a micro-pinhole somewhere, only thing I can think of, left to do. Anybody ever epoxy an aluminum radiator before?
The coolant smells pretty bad and my garage gets filled up with the fumes. :-/

Have you checked for coolant behind and below the thermostat housing in the "V" section of the engine?

Once the "V" section gets filled up, it starts slowly dripping onto the ground.

You will need a bright flashlight to get a good look past the housing.

My new thermostat housing/hoses are bone DRY!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 11-06-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Had a similar experience with my now daughters Escape. Before we gave it to her one of the things I replaced was the radiator because it was starting to leak between the tanks and cooling rows (plastic tanks and aluminum cooling rows :-/ ) I figured I would do the hoses as well.

There were no other leaks in the cooling system before hand. After about a week she said it smelled very musty when she drove it and had the vents on. When I checked things out, the overflow tank was about 1/4 lower than what I left it at. I checked everything out and couldn't find the leak.

Long story shorty, I finally found it when I took the car out, brought it to temp, then checked on it about 10 minutes after I parked it. It was only during the cooling down period that it leaked (different materials cool at different temps so they contract at different speeds). Anyways, turned out one of the OEM spring style clamps was not applying sufficient pressure. I removed it and put on a worm style clamp. Problem solved.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:09 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Had a similar experience with my now daughters Escape. Before we gave it to her one of the things I replaced was the radiator because it was starting to leak between the tanks and cooling rows (plastic tanks and aluminum cooling rows :-/ ) I figured I would do the hoses as well.

There were no other leaks in the cooling system before hand. After about a week she said it smelled very musty when she drove it and had the vents on. When I checked things out, the overflow tank was about 1/4 lower than what I left it at. I checked everything out and couldn't find the leak.

Long story shorty, I finally found it when I took the car out, brought it to temp, then checked on it about 10 minutes after I parked it. It was only during the cooling down period that it leaked (different materials cool at different temps so they contract at different speeds). Anyways, turned out one of the OEM spring style clamps was not applying sufficient pressure. I removed it and put on a worm style clamp. Problem solved.
Thanks for the relaying your experience with your Daughters Ford Escape. From what I've read the Ford Escape also has the plastic Thermostat housing, so keep an eye out for leaks! Due to the heat and expansion, the upper and lower housing seal starts to wear away, thus causing the coolant to leak out.

I read you changed the OEM clamp with a worm style clamp, but where was the coolant leaking from?

Last edited by kevinmalec; 11-05-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Have you considered adding some dye to the coolant and using a black light?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Why don't you try this...it WORKS!

Quick Reply: Dreaded coolant leak, AGAIN