Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going over yellow bump in parking/mall while being dropped

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 05:26 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

Default Going over yellow bump in parking/mall while being dropped

I just had my first trip into a couple shoppin mall/commercial parking with my coilover setup, im one little finger flush front and rear from wheel to fender, even at slowest speed taking them in angle/side entry, i still cant avoid hearing metal scratching from middle/back of the car, im guessing exhaust but i dont really see what exact pieces is getting a hard time with the pavment, should i worry about scratching or should i be aware of different approach versus agressiv bump, the little one aren't too bad but there is some that i really cant avoid? In worst case i could probably just lift the rear a bit more or maybe this would require front adjustement too?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Cars and scraping are generally sounds that don't go well together. Best to avoid that parking lot if you can unless you want to raise the car with a different set of springs. We have one place here in Denver that we just don't go because the scraping is unavoidable on the speed bumps.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:57 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

I know you may not like this, but what about adjusting your coilovers to ride a little higher? Then when you're at the track or autocross, you can crank the ride height down...

Out of interest, what coilovers did you get? I'm split between the cost of fully adjustables and springs/shocks for mine. I feel like coilovers would give me the control I'd want though.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:24 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

I might get them back up a little if this happen too often, but i see lots of mustang that ride low enough so i was just wondering, im not a fan of playing with ride height alot since everytime it will require an enlignement, i like playing with strut/shock firmness that is pretty simple lol, but removing the four wheel and start playing with the stance too often aint my thing, im trying to settle a reasonable setting that i can run everywhere, im now rolling with spring rate at 8kg front and 5.5 rear instead of 10/8 that was wayy too stiff. Car feel more comfortable and less stiff but it still a bit bouncy but i guess
This is part of the coilover game, mine
Is the R1 Standard Suspension, they have several model for drift, lapping or street. I would probably suggest you go with the bc coilover they are cheaper then what i paid and look to be fully known in the
Mustang community and get good feedback for a daily driven car/week end cruise

One question come to mind, the lower you ride your coilver the harder it will bounce/stiff or it doesnt really change anything rolling at different height on the setup?

Last edited by mighted1987; 11-03-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:23 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Seems like you have nothing but issues running that setup.... Its too rough for you and you scrape lol....
Old 11-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

i heard air ride is neat
Old 11-03-2013, 10:05 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Happens to me all the time, ill even scrap on slight humps coming out of parking lots that have small hills. I have Eibach Pro springs, I just go around every speed bump if need be and find creative ways though parking lots. Takes more time but I don't scrap that way. And there are some speed bumps that are just to big, because there is no speed bump height standard which there should be!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:20 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

what's your tire size? that matters a lot. Then my car was lowered on stock wheels/tires (255/40R19) i scraped. Now with 255/35R20-295/30R20 I don't. Must have only been a slight height difference but it's enough that it doesn't scrape anymore.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:50 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

Im running 255-45-18 an 285-40-18
Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 AM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

I would suggest raising it to a one inch gap between the tire and fender...I know it won't look as cool, but it will clear most of the current parking lot obstacles that cause your scraping problem.

To answer your question..."the lower you ride your coilver the harder it will bounce/stiff or it doesnt really change anything rolling at different height on the setup?"...This is dependent on the coilover design...I didn't look over your type of coilover so I can't comment on what you have...but for coilovers such as the BC Racing BR-type, height adjustablility is separate from tuning your compression/rebound...meaning how high/low you ride does not affect how firm/soft you set the ride.

Quick Reply: Going over yellow bump in parking/mall while being dropped