Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to remove lens from headlight housing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 12:03 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Default Best way to remove lens from headlight housing?

Unfortunately replacing the assembly is not an option since I will be working with a Saleen HID headlight.

Game plan:
Remove lens from a new plain halogen light
Remove lens from Saleen HID light
fuse the new lens and Saleen light together

After searching online on how to remove the lens, after 2 hours I am still unclear.

People say bake in the oven for 5 minutes on 175 degrees, some say 200 for 10minuts, others say 400 degrees. The suggestions are all over the place.

Some suggest using a heatgun, while others do not.

Any idea guys?

The last thing I want however, is a melted Saleen light in the oven.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:31 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I bought a set of one piece fixtures for my 94 , then later decided I wanted HIDs So after installing the HIDs I realized that they just don't work well in a housing designed for a halogen.

SO what I did was order some projectors to put inside of the light housings.... I had also read about heating them in the oven and I tried several times with no luck. I first tried at 175 degrees and that didn't even soften the glue. Then at 225 still no luck.
I said screw this its gonna take weeks , so I got out the dremel and cut the seam apart. Things went a whole lot quicker. I used a 2 part epoxy after I got the projectors installed to glue the 2 halves back to gether. You couldn't even tell they were ever separated when I got done.

This is what my lights looked like after I was done.
Name:  IMG_20121117_172913.jpg
Views: 6591
Size:  39.0 KB
Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I doubt that any amount of heat that you apply is going to affect the glue without risking the lens or housing. I'd grab the dremel and a lot of patience and go to work on it that way. Experiment with the housing that you are not going to keep first of course. Goes without saying to have eye protection too!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 AM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

Don't use a dremel or you will do more damage than good. S197 headlight housings are pretty complex and the lens is really locked in to the housing.

I had to take the lens off my headlight and didn't feel comfortable baking it. used a heat gun and took me a good 45 minutes. it is slow going. you have to start at a corner and apply continual heat, while making sure you keep the heat gun moving. that will eventually soften up the adhesive and you can start separating the lens off the housing.

there are a bunch of youtube videos showing you how to do it. they are all pretty much the same technique.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:31 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys. I think I will try the heat gun method. Which sealant do I need to get to reseal it again, and where could I find it?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 AM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

you can use basic silicone from the hardware store. I used RVT black.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Civic4doorsleeper
4th Gear Member

Oven at 230 for 20 min. Heat gun if you not very careful you may burn/melt the housing in places.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I used a heat gun, but you should keep it at at the lowest setting and never BLAST the headlight or it WILL burn the plastic. Just gently sweep over it until the glue is soft, scrape and repeat.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:14 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
I used a heat gun, but you should keep it at at the lowest setting and never BLAST the headlight or it WILL burn the plastic. Just gently sweep over it until the glue is soft, scrape and repeat.
Thanks guys. I am going to be receiving the headlight next week. I will try polishing it first with a couple of compounds with my porter cable. I just just polished a scratched to hell, weather beat taillight to an almost brand new state. If I can achieve the same result with this headlight and it looks close to my other brand new one, I may just call it a day. I will take some pictures of the work to keep you guys posted. Stay tuned.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Evo2s197

I just took apart mine, to do a oracle halo install, used the same method I used on my Evolution 8 when I painted the chrome reflectors black. 275 for 15 minute's came apart like nothing.

screen shot pc

Last edited by Evo2s197; 12-09-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Best way to remove lens from headlight housing?