Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 v6 3k miles, weird squeaking noise? bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mudhen463
This noise is almost impossible to locate. My car only makes the noise when it's warming up and most of the time only when the engine speed is slowly increased just above idle and then again as the engine returns to idle. The noise is most prevalent at approximately 1,000 RPM's but if you attempt to keep the engine at 1,000 RPM's the noise stops. I have an automotive stethoscope and am no closer in finding the source of the noise but it seems to be louder on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

No wonder the dealers can't find it. Seems to me that someone at Ford has to know about this issue with so many of use experiencing the it.
I'm very interested to hear that you took the serpentine belt off and its still present.

What else moves in the engine compartment other than the engine?

Does an alternator move when not connected to the serpentine belt?

I also experience the noise when the car is cold but once its warm its all good.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:19 PM
mudhen463

The water pump, alternator, serpentine belt and tensioner can be ruled out on my car. I couldn't remove the belt that drives the A/C compressor because it's a stretch belt with no tensioner and must be cut off and then replaced with a new stretch belt. My car makes the noise with the A/C on or off. I sprayed water on the A/C belt and there was no change in the noise.

It would be nice to hear if anyone has had their A/C belt replaced or removed for troubleshooting.

iamzatch,

I noticed you are from Colorado, are you located in the Denver metro area? I never noticed this noise until the weather started to get cold here at night.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:33 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

The water pump, alternator, serpentine belt and tensioner can be ruled out on my car. I couldn't remove the belt that drives the A/C compressor because it's a stretch belt with no tensioner and must be cut off and then replaced with a new stretch belt. My car makes the noise with the A/C on or off. I sprayed water on the A/C belt and there was no change in the noise.

It would be nice to hear if anyone has had their A/C belt replaced or removed for troubleshooting.

iamzatch,

I noticed you are from Colorado, are you located in the Denver metro area? I never noticed this noise until the weather started to get cold here at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWSPQMagAWA
I live north of Boulder. I park my car outside most of the time and also go to work early in the morning (~5AM) so this car sees a lot of cold starts. I believe I've even heard it in the summer too though.

How much does one of those belts cost?

This issue is confusing to me because it only happens when the car is cold, always goes away for me once it is warm.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:50 PM
mudhen463

I've not been able to find a price for the stretch belt for our cars, however, stretch belts can be found on Amazon for under $20.00. It seems you either need a stretch belt installation tool or you need to use zip ties to get the new belt installed.

I'm just west of Denver and my car stays in the garage, thought temperature might play a role because I never noticed it until Thanksgiving weekend....

Using my cylinder head temperature gauge as a reference, my noise is gone once it reaches 192 degrees....

I just hope it's not related to the TI VCT system or the timing chains.

My engine runs like a top with no issues other than this noise.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:54 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

I've not been able to find a price for the stretch belt for our cars, however, stretch belts can be found on Amazon for under $20.00. It seems you either need a stretch belt installation tool or you need to use zip ties to get the new belt installed.

I'm just west of Denver and my car stays in the garage, thought temperature might play a role because I never noticed it until Thanksgiving weekend....

Using my cylinder head temperature gauge as a reference, my noise is gone once it reaches 192 degrees....

I just hope it's not related to the TI VCT system or the timing chains.

My engine runs like a top with no issues other than this noise.
Is that gauge in the premium package?

This engine has been in service since 2011 and it seems like a very strong engine. It's also the same engine, although slightly modified, in the ecoboost v6 F-150. I initially started to discredit this issue because it goes away when warm and so I figured it was just one of those things ya know.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:03 PM
mudhen463

yes, the cylinder head temperature gauge is part of the premium package.

There are quite a few v6 Mustangs in rental service too, I actually test drove 2 of them before I bought my Mustang just to see how they held up after 30K rental miles.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:45 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

yes, the cylinder head temperature gauge is part of the premium package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX2IIOiCFds

There are quite a few v6 Mustangs in rental service too, I actually test drove 2 of them before I bought my Mustang just to see how they held up after 30K rental miles.
Could be a bearing in the engine somewhere? I'm not very mechanically inclined I have no idea.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:02 PM
mudhen463

I figure I might as well add to the collection of videos, below is my car...

Old 12-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Mike1Six

My 14 3.7 does the same exact thing. Only until the car is warm. Sometimes in the morning it sounds like a canary is in my garage. Since the weather has gotten colder I've noticed the tone of the squeal is more pronounced. What's funny when I bring the car up to about 10-12k RPM it goes away...
Old 12-11-2014, 07:04 PM
mudhen463

Same symptoms for my 2013, I too noticed the issue appears to be worse as the temperature gets colder. Most of the time the noise is not very loud, however, one day after Thanksgiving I thought the entire power train was going to self destructed...

Quick Reply: 2014 v6 3k miles, weird squeaking noise? bearing?