Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My silver 14 coupe and mods!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Silver Talon

Default My silver 14 coupe and mods!

Hello ladies and gents! Just stopping in here to show off my silver stang! Bought it this fall and have done some small exterior mods so far, with many more in store overall! Pics are from my HTC one x so they are mediocre at best, but it will get the idea across!

Here she is the day I picked her up! Base 14 coupe V6 with a 6 spd stick. Only option was the appearance package, which I like on the silver quite a bit. Plus the black 18in wheels are a lot better looking than the stock 17's in my opinion.

Name:  IMAG1649_zpsyl3butwq.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  111.6 KB

Giving her a bath a few days later on the lawn. Love the car so far! The transmission on the other hand is still being finicky at best, but its still a stang and its mine!

Name:  IMAG1736_zpsjdxa42k8.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  161.0 KB

But after talks with friends at work and what not (I'm a manager at the local AutoZone) the first mods aren't for more HP and TQ like I had expected they would be, but rather the outside that gets the once over first. Which surprised me cause I thought the car was close to spot on, but of course there is always room for improvement! First thing to change you ask? Basically the only serious amount of chrome that is on the car has to go. The pony in the grille and the chrome ring around it is getting blacked out.

Name:  IMAG1743_zpsmcmkd3jd.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  81.8 KB

First coat of black is on. I used a temporary painting product from armor all advertised as something you can paint fronts of cars or wheels to protect them from road chips and damage while traveling or towing cars. Its black and once dry, can be peeled off if your done with it or whatever.

Name:  IMAG1754_zpsd4fuid73.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  93.5 KB

Takes several coats (4 or so depending on the corners and weird angles) to get a good thick coat on with even look and finish, but dries quickly between them.

Name:  IMAG1756_zpsefxuwuds.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  86.6 KB

And here are a few shots of the finished grille!

Name:  IMAG1757_zpsvgpiqhui.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  81.0 KB

Name:  IMAG1760_zpsszt34cc0.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  81.3 KB

Name:  IMAG1761_zpsao0dfoio.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  IMAG1764_zpsaxmywroh.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  61.7 KB

Name:  IMAG1769_zpsyvkujcv2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  59.5 KB

And outside a few days later. Again, crappy cell pics, but you get the idea.

Name:  IMAG1777_zpspan9yygx.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  78.9 KB
Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Silver Talon

So what's next you beg to know??? Well since I live in Maine, and winter at the time was at our door step, something for winter sneakers was in order. And yes, that means I'm driving it all year round, rain or shine, snow or sleet, sand and salt. I live less than a mile from work and hey, its mine, I can do with it what I want right?

So wheels and tires. The factory 18in Pirelli tires are fairly grippy, but do leave a little to be desired in snow and ice. So my project turbo ranger had to give up its rims and tires so I could keep the 18's nice and the stang out of the ditch. Here's the ranger. Its a 91 2wd short box reg cab that has a 2.3l turbo and mated to the ranger 5-spd. The engine came out of an 86 Merkur XR4TI that I had to very sadly part out. This project is nearly completed, but that's another story!

Name:  DSC09901.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  163.9 KB

Name:  DSC09904.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  174.1 KB

Name:  DSC09918.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  216.7 KB

Can anyone guess what the rims are from??? Anyone???? Here's a pic of them all loaded to go in the stang. Two in the back seat and two in the front seat! Oh and if you guessed old school cobra's, you're right! Ding Ding!

Name:  IMAG1782_zps3yfcs1wm.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  56.4 KB

Here's the first one on, but not clean yet. The tires on these 17in cobra rims come out to be about .8 inch shorter overall and half inch wider than the factory 18's are, but the tires aren't much to speak of, they will be getting swapped over to some snow tires soon.

Name:  IMAG1786_zps4xhmbgvk.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  57.9 KB

And one side swapped over. The tires lowered the car a noticeable amount in person, but the gap in the well got slightly bigger, so overall, not a bad size difference.

Name:  IMAG1790_zpsehm6cm3f.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  IMAG1791_zpscws7kwtg.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  IMAG1794_zpsqfufqkwt.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  65.4 KB

I'm fairly sold on them at this point. The more I clean them and look at them, I'm missing the black 18's less and less. I love the throw back, and how they look on the car, and my buddy that is helping me, is loving it too, and basically told me to throw away my 18's as I wont be putting them back on the car at any point. What do you guys think???
Old 01-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Silver Talon

The same night, I'm working on one more project, that was also my friends idea, thrown in with some tweeks of my own. I know that 95% of the population does not like pin strips down the sides of vehicles anymore. I hear it all the time, that it died in the 80's/90's blah blah blah. But after playing around with sizes, colors, and positions, we found something that I think works pretty well on the car. I don't have many pictures of it, which I thought I did have more of, but it was late and we spent probably close to 4 hours putting them on to get them straight, matched to each side, and the ends correct. Needless to say, we were both pretty picky about them.

Again, crappy cell pics, but here goes.

Name:  IMAG1795_zpss4scdpou.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  59.6 KB

You can see the front half of the stripe (which is the first one we did) starts at the body line in front of the handle and goes forward into the fender. Its gloss black .5 inch striping.

Here is the finished opposite side, with the striping flaired to match the bodyline arch over the rear wheel well. that was by far the hardest part of the stripe, but gives it the most pop also.

Name:  IMAG1798_zpsck05xneu.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  IMAG1799_zps3jeiq0xd.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  61.3 KB

Sadly, that's all I have of the stripe at the moment. If its decent out, ill try and grab another one or two tomorrow, to show how and where it ends in the back. Most all the people that said to not pinstripe it, have changed their mind after seeing it, so I think it came out well.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

silver wheels look crap.
the matt black ones look awesome
Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Those cobra wheels actually look pretty good on your stang, even though they are a bit small. They are for winter, though, so it doesn't matter, right. And, I was gonna guess an older cobra or a dodge Shelby for the rims, too.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:39 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I like what u did with the front but I like the other wheels better and the pin stripe is ok but its your car. Doesn't matter what we think as long a u like it. Thanks for the pics keep us posted on other mods you do
Old 01-17-2014, 08:30 AM
drummer829
1st Gear Member

I think the blacks rims looked sexy. It went nicely with the blacked out grill. Throw on some dark tints and smoke the head/taillights, but that's my preference.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Silver Talon

Thanks for the comments guys! I like the black wheels too, but I can dig the cobra's for the old school throwback too. Tint is in for sure too. The lights being tinted Isint something I'm wild about right now but maybe a consideration. What I really am debating on is pulling the louvers off and painting those black too. But I'll probably tint it first to see how the black and silver are balanced. Also thought about a set of rear window louvers too, but I think it might be tacky or gawdy.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Silver Talon

Here are some pics from today after a quick bath. You can see the pinstripes a little bit better in these.

Name:  IMAG1867_zpssymcoy5l.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  IMAG1870_zpswegrzcvv.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  83.0 KB
Old 01-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Silver Talon

Quick Reply: My silver 14 coupe and mods!