Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:33 PM
danielson08stang

Unhappy HELP!

I just recently put a Cold Air Intake on my 2008 Ford Mustang and I've possibly ran into a problem. After installation the vehicle idled just fine I even took it down the road for a test. On my way back in the engine start missing extremely bad and would eventually die. I got it back to my house and it will still idle fine but as soon as you touch the throttle it starts sputtering, missing, and knocking and will eventually die. Please help me and will post pics if needed.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 PM
danielson08stang

Also right now I have the battery terminals off hoping that resetting the computer might help but idk.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:44 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

what Cold air intake brand did you use? Did you tune your car after installing the intake? You do know that most CAI's for this car require a tune, sound like you haven't tuned your car.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:06 PM
danielson08stang

I was starting to get that from other posts. It will throttle just fine now and will run. I was trying to use a Tornado air saver in it also and I think it was just causing a problem because as soon as I took it out the throttle was fine and no missing or signs of dying. I am getting a check engine light and a tire pressure monitor fault (even though I don't think i have one). That should be easily taken care of with the tune up also correct?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

what brand CAI do you have!? you should not be running a cai without a tune unless you want to damage your car. Only CAI that specify "No Tune Required" would be safe and I think only Airraid makes that... so seriously take that off until you get a tuner.

And yes, that tornado crap needs to go.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 PM
danielson08stang

Best Car Part. It is a cheap one because I can't really afford expensive parts.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140567753728...84.m1439.l2649
Old 02-03-2014, 04:20 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

hmm that thing looks a lot like the "SR Performance" kit sold on americanmuscle.com. Interestingly the kit sold on american muscle does not require a tune.

Check out their site, if it doesn't say "Tune Required" you could pick up any of those and be fine, but you wont really be getting much performance boost. I know it sucks man because you just spent money on thei CAI, but remove it and maybe try to sell it if you cant get your money back. Then save up for the SCT tuner, you don't need the cai as most of the performance gains come from the tuner. Sorry for the crappy news.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/05-07-...r-intakes.html
Old 02-03-2014, 04:26 PM
danielson08stang

So the best bet would to be just to take it off even though it's idling fine and not missing? I mean if that's the best thing then so be it I don't want to mess up my car or anything like that.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:30 PM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

Throw that Tornado thing in the garbage.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:33 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

The ebay site says nothing else is needed to install so I assume its a no tune required cai. You said you got rid of the idling problems, but you still have the engine light right? That would be enough for me to get rid of it. $60 part can end up costing you serious $$$. That being said, keep an eye on this thread and hopefully someone with a V6 and ebay CAI can chime in. Or at least tell you if they had check engine light issues.

My 2 cents though is noone else says anything.. I would take it off... if you don't have money to upgrade your car you probably don't have money to break it!