Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad dealership, Bad sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:20 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Default Bad dealership, Bad sparkplugs

Hey, I posted about a week ago, and you guys were very helpful. Thought I'd give yall an update.

(1) Stay away from Malcolm Cunningham Ford in Atlanta. These guys were trying to pull some serious price inflation on me. Really, the only issue with my car was a broken ignition coil (something that should have been $300 tops) and they added like 3 things that weren't broken and quoted me almost $2,000 worth of repairs. I read some other reviews on these guys, and they tripped several of my "shyster" alarms

(2) I fixed the car myself, but then decided to go ahead and replace the sparkplugs. Well I ran the engine for 30 min. Poured Seafoam down into the wells and let it sit for 1 hour. And I very gently rocked the old sparkplugs out. Well, I got to cylinder 7 and low and behold the plug broke in two. Had I not read some other MF'ers posts and their own horror stories, I would have been pretty pissed. But I half expected this to happen.

SO...I took the car over to precision Auto, and they are fixing the plugs tomorrow and putting in new ones. The mechanic said he has seen this many times, and there really isn't anything I could have done to prevent this. He estimates he can redo the plugs and extract the broken one for between $300 - $500. Still a hell of a lot less than Malcolm Ripoff Ford.

My Question to you guys is: Is there a class action against Ford for these spark-plugs? As far as I am concerned they are faulty, and we should not have to pay for their mistake. If there is something I can put my name to, I would like to.

End Rant/ Thanks again, you guys that helped!

Old 03-04-2014, 06:28 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Still getting ripped off. The Lisle tool is something like 60 bucks. Don't exactly remember the price. Could have done it yourself for less than 200 dollars including the price of new plugs.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:40 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
Still getting ripped off. The Lisle tool is something like 60 bucks. Don't exactly remember the price. Could have done it yourself for less than 200 dollars including the price of new plugs.
fu*k. wish i had that.

oh well, id rather just wash my hands of it, and leave it to the pros.

besides im wasting money not working while the car sits. So the time I would have to wait for the Lisle tool to come in the mail would not be worth it. I asked Advance today if they had any such tool, and they said no.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

You should consider having Champion 1 piece plugs installed after you get the old crap plugs out. You won't have this problem ever again.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
Hey, I posted about a week ago, and you guys were very helpful. Thought I'd give yall an update.

(1) Stay away from Malcolm Cunningham Ford in Atlanta. These guys were trying to pull some serious price inflation on me. Really, the only issue with my car was a broken ignition coil (something that should have been $300 tops) and they added like 3 things that weren't broken and quoted me almost $2,000 worth of repairs. I read some other reviews on these guys, and they tripped several of my "shyster" alarms

(2) I fixed the car myself, but then decided to go ahead and replace the sparkplugs. Well I ran the engine for 30 min. Poured Seafoam down into the wells and let it sit for 1 hour. And I very gently rocked the old sparkplugs out. Well, I got to cylinder 7 and low and behold the plug broke in two. Had I not read some other MF'ers posts and their own horror stories, I would have been pretty pissed. But I half expected this to happen.

SO...I took the car over to precision Auto, and they are fixing the plugs tomorrow and putting in new ones. The mechanic said he has seen this many times, and there really isn't anything I could have done to prevent this. He estimates he can redo the plugs and extract the broken one for between $300 - $500. Still a hell of a lot less than Malcolm Ripoff Ford.

My Question to you guys is: Is there a class action against Ford for these spark-plugs? As far as I am concerned they are faulty, and we should not have to pay for their mistake. If there is something I can put my name to, I would like to.

End Rant/ Thanks again, you guys that helped!

You can contact the BBB and file a complaint. Dealerships take complaints very seriously as they can be shut down if they get to many.

Matthew
Old 03-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Over the last few years I've heard rumors of a class action suit, but nothing official. I can't believe there hasn't been one. This is one of the worst design mistakes I have heard of and Ford should pay. I hope the engineer that designed these 3V heads is now working in the fast food industry.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Over the last few years I've heard rumors of a class action suit, but nothing official. I can't believe there hasn't been one. This is one of the worst design mistakes I have heard of and Ford should pay. I hope the engineer that designed these 3V heads is now working in the fast food industry.
You really want that burger put on the bun after it has been dropped on the floor?
Old 03-05-2014, 03:27 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

sh*t that su*ks....at least it will be fixed and running good now.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:28 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Thanks everybody.

I don't know about contacting the BBB about Malcolm Cunningham, because I don't know if I have enough evidence to show they are committing fraud. But i did leave a bad review on Google reviews.

I did contact the lawfirm in Ohio that is handling the Ford class-action, and I put my name on their list. They said at minimum it will be 2 years until I see any money. And even then it will probably be like $50. so whatev.

that's life.