Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mustang GT engine ticking / tapping

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Budman2K
1st Gear Member

Default 2006 Mustang GT engine ticking / tapping

Can anyone help identify the source of this noise? It sounds like it is coming from under the intake manifold, and is not any louder on either side of the engine. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:06 PM
ZERO4572003
1st Gear Member

Mine is doing the same thing i heard it might be the cam phasers but im not sure yet.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:27 AM
Budman2K
1st Gear Member

Did yours start tapping gradual or sudden? Seems like mine started over a 2 day span. At first, it was not real loud, so I thought it was a header leak. I also hear a faint gritty noise every 15-20 seconds or so which sounds like it is coming from the drivers side valve cover. Sounds like something is spinning and realigning itself. Think I will pull the driver side cover of later and see if I can figure this out. Also, on YouTube I watched a video where one side oil restrictor had a piece of gasket in it cutting off oil flow to that head. Will post my findings.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Budman2K
1st Gear Member

Pulled off the passenger side cam cover and found that one rocker arm looks like it has been getting hot, possibly lack of oil to that arm. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas of what is causing this? I am thinking bad lifter.

Last edited by Budman2K; 04-05-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Image
Old 04-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Budman2K
1st Gear Member

Cranked it over to see if it was getting oil to that rocker and it was not. Also noticed the lobe of the cam is dished, scored, and worn away. Looks like new cams, lifters, and arms are in order. Any suggestions on which ones? Thanks.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:50 PM
ZERO4572003
1st Gear Member

mine stared over a few days i thought it was nothing but then all of a sudden it was loud and then i just parked it and its still sitting there so are you ordering everything to fix it ?
Old 04-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Get this taken care of ASAP. Do NOT keep driving it. Go look at my thread and listen to my video, it was the same sound. I let it happen for a few days and it caused my valve to drop and it shattered the piston, and cracked my block. My car is now at the dealer in the process of getting a new engine installed. With how the lobe on the cam looks, and how dark the rocker arm is, I would say park it and get it taken care of as soon as possible. Heres my thread if you're interested: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...und-05-gt.html
Old 04-06-2014, 12:17 PM
ZERO4572003
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carcrazycorey1
Get this taken care of ASAP. Do NOT keep driving it. Go look at my thread and listen to my video, it was the same sound. I let it happen for a few days and it caused my valve to drop and it shattered the piston, and cracked my block. My car is now at the dealer in the process of getting a new engine installed. With how the lobe on the cam looks, and how dark the rocker arm is, I would say park it and get it taken care of as soon as possible. Heres my thread if you're interested: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...und-05-gt.html
I saw your thread that really sucks i hope mine is not like that mine is staying parked until further notice.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Budman2K
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZERO4572003
mine stared over a few days i thought it was nothing but then all of a sudden it was loud and then i just parked it and its still sitting there so are you ordering everything to fix it ?
Yes I will be ordering the parts today so I can do the install on Saturday. I am going with the Hot Rod cams, AM has them for good price with free shipping. I am glad I tore it down and didn't drive it one more day for work. On a normal work day I drive close to 100mi. , probably would have been catastrophic after reading Corey's post. Had a hell of a time figuring out which side it was coming from. My neighbor has a mechanics stethoscope we used and it was still tough, just a little bit louder at the rear of the cover.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Budman2K
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carcrazycorey1
That sucks, sorry to hear about your car. After reading your thread, I would say I got real lucky. I was going to drive it to work Friday and look at it on Saturday, but ended up calling off work due to a family emergency. Did the dealer ever say what was the initial cause of the failure? Btw, mine has 132k on the clock, sucks I have to use it for work.

Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang GT engine ticking / tapping