Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My mustang is about to crank over 100K miles....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 04:06 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default My mustang is about to crank over 100K miles....

Hey Guys,

My mustang is about to hit 100,000 miles and I wanted to know what I should do for extra maintenance (preventive more or less) for a car hitting that milestone.

I have a 2006 V6 auto.

I know several have suggested replacing the transmission fluid, but I have heard a lot of horror stories about transmissions having issues afterward, so I want to know what the general consensus is on that topic. Plus, I have also heard that if you have not replaced it before 75K miles you should leave it alone if you are not having any issues.
Note: I have owned the car since 56K miles and I have never replaced the fluid before. If the general consensus is to leave the fluid, would it be be a good idea to change the trans. fluid filter? (can you get to that?)

Should I replace things like spark plugs, spark plug wires, any seals, etc?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:48 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Hey Guys,

My mustang is about to hit 100,000 miles and I wanted to know what I should do for extra maintenance (preventive more or less) for a car hitting that milestone.

I have a 2006 V6 auto.

I know several have suggested replacing the transmission fluid, but I have heard a lot of horror stories about transmissions having issues afterward, so I want to know what the general consensus is on that topic. Plus, I have also heard that if you have not replaced it before 75K miles you should leave it alone if you are not having any issues.
Note: I have owned the car since 56K miles and I have never replaced the fluid before. If the general consensus is to leave the fluid, would it be be a good idea to change the trans. fluid filter? (can you get to that?)

Should I replace things like spark plugs, spark plug wires, any seals, etc?

Thanks.
Honestly I think the trans fluid thing is a bit of a myth; if your trans starts screwing up after a fluid change it was about to start screwing up anyway. Plus, the Chrysler "Ultradrive" A604/41TE debacle added fuel to that controversy; people would get the fluid changed and the shop/owner would put in Dexron instead of the correct ATF+3/+4 and start having problems shortly afterward.

for plugs and wires, how old are they? IF you haven't done them since 56k miles, I'd put new ones in.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
Honestly I think the trans fluid thing is a bit of a myth; if your trans starts screwing up after a fluid change it was about to start screwing up anyway. Plus, the Chrysler "Ultradrive" A604/41TE debacle added fuel to that controversy; people would get the fluid changed and the shop/owner would put in Dexron instead of the correct ATF+3/+4 and start having problems shortly afterward.

for plugs and wires, how old are they? IF you haven't done them since 56k miles, I'd put new ones in.
#1 Change the fluid!!!!!!! and everything else on the list is a good idea too!
Old 05-10-2014, 07:39 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Pull out the maintenance manual and do what is recommends at that mileage.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:27 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifter583
#1 Change the fluid!!!!!!! and everything else on the list is a good idea too!
I was speaking to an AM rep today about wheels and asked him about this at the end of the conversation to see what he would offer and he said to leave it and only change it if I start to have problems. I thought that was weird since I am not sure how changing the fluid at that point would fix a problem.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:29 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I plan on doing my coolant at 100k, but I would change all filters and fluids as well as plugs . Look at the ford maintenance log for the proper recommendations..
Old 05-11-2014, 06:41 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

My '05 GT has the five speed. I change that out every 30k miles.

My '89 GMC had over 100k miles when I moved to NC with an automatic. One of the first things that happened is that the "shifting" became "not right." I was afraid I needed major work, the shop said lets change out the filter and fluid and see, and it worked just fine after that.

However, I don't know what fluid type/brand they used and miles later I discovered it was really low in fluid, not even on the dip stick low, I think I added near two quarts. I had NEVER had an issue with the trans before the change and I admit that checking trans fluid was not something I did. So, I started checking the fluid a little more often and it kept needing some replacement. But, now at 236k miles I haven't had to add for quite some time. Makes me think the Mobil 1 trans fluid I kept putting in was and is more stable and dependable than what the shop had used. FWIW
Old 05-11-2014, 07:18 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Algregory,

I don't have the option to check the fluid regulary. The S197 (I think that is right) doesn't have a Trans. dip stick or easily accessible port to pour in new fluid. I believe it is a sealed system; which may let it last longer, I am not sure.

I am in a place right now that I don't want to spend money on a transmission right now as I am trying to get my finances in order for other big things and the car works perfectly right now and always has. I just don't want to screw it up. And with some screaming to change it and other yelling not too, I am not sure what to do.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:27 AM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

Algregory,

I don't have the option to check the fluid regulary. The S197 (I think that is right) doesn't have a Trans. dip stick or easily accessible port to pour in new fluid. I believe it is a sealed system; which may let it last longer, I am not sure.

I am in a place right now that I don't want to spend money on a transmission right now as I am trying to get my finances in order for other big things and the car works perfectly right now and always has. I just don't want to screw it up. And with some screaming to change it and other yelling not too, I am not sure what to do.
Do what your manual says to do. Not what someone else says.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I was speaking to an AM rep today about wheels and asked him about this at the end of the conversation to see what he would offer and he said to leave it and only change it if I start to have problems. I thought that was weird since I am not sure how changing the fluid at that point would fix a problem.
Fluids become fatigued over time and changing them simply keeps the fluids at the performance levels they were intended to operate at.

Quick Reply: My mustang is about to crank over 100K miles....