Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harmonic balancer wobble, replace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 03:55 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default harmonic balancer wobble, replace?

I zoomed in and slowed the video down to 1/4 speed to make it more noticeable. just looking at it from above you can tell there's a slight wobble to it. The rubber is not perfectly flush all the way around, but I think it's been that way for a long time.

Should I replace it? A new stock one is only $39 from new takeoff. Next question is, where's the how to writeup? I know you need a pulley puller, but what about the installation tool, necessary?
Old 05-18-2014, 11:40 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I have no idea. I have an 8 rib kit sitting in my garage right now that I haven't installed yet. Just waiting...

When you do it. Please let us know how it goes. Get a Haynes Manual...
Old 05-19-2014, 02:18 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

i've got a haynes manual, somewhere.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:36 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I think a good start would be to look at a UDP install guide.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm going to use this method to remove the crank bolt. If scotty kilmer can do it, then I surely can.

I can brace my breaker bar against the underside of the frame. Pull the fuel pump fuse so the motor won't start and one bump of the key should do it.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:45 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

If you look at the UDP install guide it helps. I know you have to rent a Chrysler pulley remover. But in some of them the arms arnet long enough!! So I took a 3/4 (or maybe it was a 5/8?) socket and very carefully placed it to where it wouldn't damage the crank, you have to be slow and gentle. I also know the main crank bolt is one time use only so gonna have to get one a 9.00 bolt I think! If it was me I would take the three surrounding bolts and the new crank bolt and re torque them to spec. The wobble may just be in your head? It doesn't look too bad to me. But if it bugs you hey why not?! Also high temp silicone for the key slot required too..
Old 05-19-2014, 05:57 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

http://m.mustangforums.com/forum/sho...6023&styleid=9

Here is a good write up. Obviously you don't have to do it all if your not doing the UDP but you may as well it helped free up a couple hp for me! Felt like turning the AC off when it was already off. (That's the best way to describe the feel) just remember the socket you'll need with the Chrysler pulley.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:13 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
http://m.mustangforums.com/forum/sho...6023&styleid=9

Here is a good write up. Obviously you don't have to do it all if your not doing the UDP but you may as well it helped free up a couple hp for me! Felt like turning the AC off when it was already off. (That's the best way to describe the feel) just remember the socket you'll need with the Chrysler pulley.
UDP wouldn't do me any good. I read about needing the chrysler puller. I'm thinking the 3 jaw puller I used for the pinion flange should work. It doesn't bother me, but I don't want it flying off as I'm going down the track.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:36 PM
2005MustangGtGuy
2nd Gear Member

As mentioned you need a chrysler style puller. I used this puller when I removed mine http://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-6667/overview/ Also I would definitely use an installer tool to push the new balancer back on as you risk pulling the threads out of the crank just wrenching it on with a bolt. I used the method that guy does in the video to loosen the bolt as well. Pretty easy job over all.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
UDP wouldn't do me any good. I read about needing the chrysler puller. I'm thinking the 3 jaw puller I used for the pinion flange should work. It doesn't bother me, but I don't want it flying off as I'm going down the track.
Or the end of crank shaft breaking off....

Seen that happen before.

Quick Reply: harmonic balancer wobble, replace?